Corporate Nationalism
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:10 am
This is just a thread to document my thoughts on the government type as I play a test game. Corporate Nationalism interests me because I like playing the game in different ways. CN is...quite different. Let me know what you think of the government type.
Anyway, to experiment with the government type I decided to play a game with the humans. The settings were:
Expensive research
10x10 sectors, 1000 stars
Normal amount of strong pirates.
Hard difficulty.
Normal starting system
Prewarp start,
Normal indies/potential colonies
I ran CN until my research was being punished too harshly, then switched the democracy for 3 years or so. Then back to CN.
Looking back I think the strategy I went for could be significantly improved. When I began the game I was only going to test the government type for a few years to see the effect on my economy. As a result I did things I would never normally do, such as automating my first explorers (the ones you use to uncover warp field precursors), and not redesigning the ships and bases at the start. I didn't even design my own small space port. I did add labs to the port they provided, though.
Starting with 0% tax for as long as possible, or until reaching a good leader, then switching to CN would allow for far better research timings and cash money.
Anyway in the second month of the eleventh year, I have researched these techs
Weapons: Epsilon torps, star fighters, torpedo bombers, armor plating.
Energy: Shields,Warp bubble, hyper drives, energy collection, ship size up to 400.
High Tech: enhanced resource exploration, med/recreation modules, transport systems, working my way to advanced medicomplex.
Not great, but not bad either. I forgot to add labs after switching to democracy, and so didn't take advantage of an essentially doubled research capacity for a while. I think I missed about a year.
Notes:
1. Corporate Nationalism lets you 100% tax your colonies, without:
a)Them dropping to low happiness (!). At game start I had was on +19 with 100% tax. By the fifth year I was at +21.
b)The private sector losing money from their cash on hand (?!?!?!)
2.With 100% tax, growth was at 4.8% at game start. 3.6% by the fifth year.
3.Your leader doesn't seem to change. I still have the guy below. You also don't lose your leader when you switch to democracy. In roughly the 8th year I switched to Democracy to escape the large penalty to pop growth, colony income, and research speed that increases constantly. It was at 30-something percent when I switched. It only took a few months for everything to return to normal. I have now switched back to corporate nationalism for more cash money. With this strategy you can likely shift regularly between a good growth/research rate (democracy) at 0% tax, and short periods of very large state profit. This is why I'm heading for the advanced medicomplex.
4.) 100% tax rate = quite a bit of crash research.
5.) Espionage bonus, extra agent, and good racial intelligence let me easily mitigate the research malus through theft. I used agent spam to net me good amounts of research points in both warp techs. This avoided the risk of a critical failure. One of my three scientists was creative, which always makes me nervous.
6.) Switching from CN to Democracy only resulted in a loss of about 50 million population, and happiness was fine. No loss of development.
Edit: My leader (San the Man) http://i.imgur.com/XpNsG6R.jpg
This amount of jumping back and forth between such disparate government types makes for a good space opera [:D]
Anyway, to experiment with the government type I decided to play a game with the humans. The settings were:
Expensive research
10x10 sectors, 1000 stars
Normal amount of strong pirates.
Hard difficulty.
Normal starting system
Prewarp start,
Normal indies/potential colonies
I ran CN until my research was being punished too harshly, then switched the democracy for 3 years or so. Then back to CN.
Looking back I think the strategy I went for could be significantly improved. When I began the game I was only going to test the government type for a few years to see the effect on my economy. As a result I did things I would never normally do, such as automating my first explorers (the ones you use to uncover warp field precursors), and not redesigning the ships and bases at the start. I didn't even design my own small space port. I did add labs to the port they provided, though.
Starting with 0% tax for as long as possible, or until reaching a good leader, then switching to CN would allow for far better research timings and cash money.
Anyway in the second month of the eleventh year, I have researched these techs
Weapons: Epsilon torps, star fighters, torpedo bombers, armor plating.
Energy: Shields,Warp bubble, hyper drives, energy collection, ship size up to 400.
High Tech: enhanced resource exploration, med/recreation modules, transport systems, working my way to advanced medicomplex.
Not great, but not bad either. I forgot to add labs after switching to democracy, and so didn't take advantage of an essentially doubled research capacity for a while. I think I missed about a year.
Notes:
1. Corporate Nationalism lets you 100% tax your colonies, without:
a)Them dropping to low happiness (!). At game start I had was on +19 with 100% tax. By the fifth year I was at +21.
b)The private sector losing money from their cash on hand (?!?!?!)
2.With 100% tax, growth was at 4.8% at game start. 3.6% by the fifth year.
3.Your leader doesn't seem to change. I still have the guy below. You also don't lose your leader when you switch to democracy. In roughly the 8th year I switched to Democracy to escape the large penalty to pop growth, colony income, and research speed that increases constantly. It was at 30-something percent when I switched. It only took a few months for everything to return to normal. I have now switched back to corporate nationalism for more cash money. With this strategy you can likely shift regularly between a good growth/research rate (democracy) at 0% tax, and short periods of very large state profit. This is why I'm heading for the advanced medicomplex.
4.) 100% tax rate = quite a bit of crash research.
5.) Espionage bonus, extra agent, and good racial intelligence let me easily mitigate the research malus through theft. I used agent spam to net me good amounts of research points in both warp techs. This avoided the risk of a critical failure. One of my three scientists was creative, which always makes me nervous.
6.) Switching from CN to Democracy only resulted in a loss of about 50 million population, and happiness was fine. No loss of development.
Edit: My leader (San the Man) http://i.imgur.com/XpNsG6R.jpg
This amount of jumping back and forth between such disparate government types makes for a good space opera [:D]