Page 1 of 1
time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm
by cato12
whats the general opinion on time compression?
im finding that it basically doesn't work, anything over the realtime setting is a waste of time.
I have range circles off and no pulse time mode and high fidelity both off and dont see any difference.
randolphs racket is a relatively small scenario, Id hate to play any of the larger ones. I have a decent rig so i know that aint the issue.
INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.4Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 MOBO R1
8GB ram
geforce GTX 670 2GB Video card
creative xfi extreme sound card
im gonna try a full reinstall to see if that helps but as it currently stands its pretty much unplayable.
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:19 pm
by Feltan
Nah, it works. However, it will saturate processor cycles so there is an upper limit.
I can compress time on large scenarios to about 15x and still get some marginal gain. After that, I don't see much that my system can support.
Regards,
Feltan
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:27 pm
by Meroka37
ORIGINAL: cato12
whats the general opinion on time compression?
im finding that it basically doesn't work, anything over the realtime setting is a waste of time.
I have range circles off and no pulse time mode and high fidelity both off and dont see any difference.
randolphs racket is a relatively small scenario, Id hate to play any of the larger ones. I have a decent rig so i know that aint the issue.
INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.4Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 MOBO R1
8GB ram
geforce GTX 670 2GB Video card
creative xfi extreme sound card
im gonna try a full reinstall to see if that helps but as it currently stands its pretty much unplayable.
I have a similar hardware configuration and Windows 8.1, I can use time compression to 5 minutes in medium size scenario with no delays, in other laptop with just i5 and 4 GB with XP can run at 1 minute medium size and 5-30 minutes small size without penalties...
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm
by mr_quarantaine
make sure you have energy saving options in windows preferences set to "maximum performance", otherwise the OS will throttle your CPU down to < 1 GHz. When I adjusted the setting, performance increased about 5x!
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm
by Dimitris
ORIGINAL: mr_quarantaine
make sure you have energy saving options in windows preferences set to "maximum performance", otherwise the OS will throttle your CPU down to < 1 GHz. When I adjusted the setting, performance increased about 5x!
Nice tip, thanks!
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm
by thewood1
Also keep in mind that processing power is not unlimited...You might not be realistic in thinking you can run a large scenarios with hundreds of units and hundreds of missiles at 5 minute compression and expect flawless performance.
The only solution is for the devs to put a hard upper limit on units to make sure even the lowest powered CPU can handle it.
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm
by mikmykWS
That is not the only solution and I wouldn't say best either.
We push the limits.
Mike
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm
by thewood1
It wasn't a suggestion. It is a strategy in other games. I am pointing out that unrealistic expectations on performance can lead to that type of strategy. It was one of the reasons the original Close Combat was only 15 units.
btw, I would be dead set against that strategy...I am only pointing out that customers expecting great performance regardless of scenario size can drive developers to adopt that method when too many issues crop up around performance and crashes.
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 pm
by mikmykWS
That's fine but that was many years ago and does not speak to how our product is designed.
We always appreciate advice but do have a right to say no.
Mike
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:34 pm
by SSN754planker
where is this performance setting in windows 8?
RE: time compression
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 pm
by warshipbuilder
In the taskbar, you should find it in the hidden icons box, under energy management

RE: time compression
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:07 am
by Dimitris
ORIGINAL: cato12
whats the general opinion on time compression?
im finding that it basically doesn't work, anything over the realtime setting is a waste of time.
I have range circles off and no pulse time mode and high fidelity both off and dont see any difference.
randolphs racket is a relatively small scenario, Id hate to play any of the larger ones. I have a decent rig so i know that aint the issue.
INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.4Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 MOBO R1
8GB ram
geforce GTX 670 2GB Video card
creative xfi extreme sound card
im gonna try a full reinstall to see if that helps but as it currently stands its pretty much unplayable.
Hello,
Please provide us with numbers. Subjective claims like "unplayable", "basically doesn't work" and "waste of time" don't really help us investigate possible problems.
We will need you to provide save files of the situation(s) where you are experiencing performance issues, together with pulse-time figures. We will then compare these figures with test runs on our own systems and determine if there is indeed a built-in speed bottleneck or if there is an external factor at work (hardware / OS / other).
Thank you in advance for your assistance in investigating this.