Returned to game with DW:U
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:05 pm
I've been away from Distant Worlds for some time now. Never updated to DW:Shadows since the idea of a pirate infested game did not appeal to me. But the Universe expansion seemed interesting and the price was right.
There has been some considerable improvement in fleet automation behaviour that was badly needed from Legends. Right now I am in the late stages of a 700 star game and have the following comments and questions:
Once all systems had been explored my exploration ships just hung around the nearest refuel point, racking up maintenance costs and doing nothing. I started retiring them but then my ship building advisors began badgering me to build more. For what purpose?
After a fleet has dumped its troops at a planet I am invading I give it orders to re-load troops. So it promptly flies off to the nearest colony to do that...even if that colony has no troops at all to load. So the fleet has to be microed to an appropriate colony with excess troops.
Right now all my construction ships (all 20) are sitting idle for some reason even though there are things listed in the colony resource priority list and all of them are automated. I thought perhaps there was a resource shortage so none were building (all 20?) but after giving some of them manual build orders they promptly build what they were instructed to with no delays...and then went back to being idle after hitting the "automate" button. As well, none of them show up when cycling through the "show idle ships".
Finally, I was surprised to see resources for other empires in cargo of one of my stations. Does this represent goods mined by my ships, sold to other empires and waiting for pick-up? I would hope that if war were to break out with those empires, my station would confiscate those resources for my use!
As I said, Distant Worlds has improved to a point where I find it compelling to play again and hopefully the improvements continue.
Regards
There has been some considerable improvement in fleet automation behaviour that was badly needed from Legends. Right now I am in the late stages of a 700 star game and have the following comments and questions:
Once all systems had been explored my exploration ships just hung around the nearest refuel point, racking up maintenance costs and doing nothing. I started retiring them but then my ship building advisors began badgering me to build more. For what purpose?
After a fleet has dumped its troops at a planet I am invading I give it orders to re-load troops. So it promptly flies off to the nearest colony to do that...even if that colony has no troops at all to load. So the fleet has to be microed to an appropriate colony with excess troops.
Right now all my construction ships (all 20) are sitting idle for some reason even though there are things listed in the colony resource priority list and all of them are automated. I thought perhaps there was a resource shortage so none were building (all 20?) but after giving some of them manual build orders they promptly build what they were instructed to with no delays...and then went back to being idle after hitting the "automate" button. As well, none of them show up when cycling through the "show idle ships".
Finally, I was surprised to see resources for other empires in cargo of one of my stations. Does this represent goods mined by my ships, sold to other empires and waiting for pick-up? I would hope that if war were to break out with those empires, my station would confiscate those resources for my use!
As I said, Distant Worlds has improved to a point where I find it compelling to play again and hopefully the improvements continue.
Regards