Page 1 of 1

Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 pm
by Chris21wen
I've put some fighters on a resupply ship and deployed it in a gas cloud. The gas has some keltors in it and eventually attack but the fighter swill not launch automatically.

Likewise the torps won't fire. It will only defend itself then the keltor is over the top.


Image

RE: Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:27 pm
by Hikikomori
Not quite sure if i understood you correctly, but i have a similar problem with fighters on my space ports.
The only way to get them to attack something that does not attack the port itself is to manually launch the fighters after the port was constructed and the fighters produced.

Then they attack every hostile target in range, not just the ones firing on the port.

And i believe resupply ships can't fire when they are deployed at all, but i am not sure if that also applies to fighters.

RE: Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:16 pm
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: Hikikomori

Not quite sure if i understood you correctly, but i have a similar problem with fighters on my space ports.
The only way to get them to attack something that does not attack the port itself is to manually launch the fighters after the port was constructed and the fighters produced.

Then they attack every hostile target in range, not just the ones firing on the port.

And i believe resupply ships can't fire when they are deployed at all, but i am not sure if that also applies to fighters.


Keltors attack by eating, or it certainly looks like that, the superstructure of ships hence they are directing over the top of the ship when they attack. I think our problems are the same, if I manually launch then everything is fine. Resupply ships deploy forward and on their own so being able to defend themselves is essential, deployed or not.

I may have an answer in that I've just researched carriers so maybe the fighters won't automatically launch until this is then. But a big however, that does not explain why the torps don't fire or for that matter why the Titan beams only fire at minimum range, e.g. when the dam thing are on top.

RE: Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:31 pm
by Tehlongone
Wait, the Titan beams do fire from a deployed Resupply Ship? I'd started only bringing fighters on those. I tend to call them Motherships and they do make sense as a sort of mobile carrier base. It's most effective to just deploy the fighters and allow them to remain out to patrol the system but they'll deploy if you are attacked regardless.

I once made a bad-ass max size version but then I discovered that it couldn't fire when deployed, and as it's meant to spend 95% of it's time deployed it might as well be pure shields and fighters... Speed is also pretty irrelevant then.

RE: Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:52 am
by NephilimNexus
The problem is that, as someone else already pointed out, Kaltors use melee attacks. So the target's AI does not even consider it to be under attack until the Kaltor is already on top of them, because it doesn't actually "attack" until then.

Stupid, I know.

RE: Resupply ship not defending itself.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 am
by Tehlongone
Yes, which is why I usually manually deploy the fighters upon arrival, they stay out. If you have a bit of armor and 20+ fighters they do make very quick work of a Kaltor though, even if it is right on top of you.