Page 1 of 1
Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am
by zulurider
For some reason, I am struggling to understand the chain of command with HQ units. If I assign an LCU to "Pacific Ocean Areas", does that mean I need the Pacific Ocean Area HQ unit in the same hex with that unit? Is there a way to trace the chain of command for a particular LCU? The only option I see on the LCU screen is "Find all other units with the same HQ".
Can anyone give me any examples of how they use the HQs? I understand the HQ benefits, I am just trying to organize the C&C structure.
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am
by dr.hal
Greetings Zulurider, welcome to WITP. Good basic question that I also asked years ago. The answer is that in most cases it makes no difference, as a command is a command. What the unit needs is support, and this can be done by anyone. Where is comes into play is if you want to COMBINE a unit that arrives in parts (such as battalions into a regiment)or have been split up, they will need to be in the same command. Hal
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm
by Yaab
I just try to pair command HQs with corps HQs and prep them for the same target for 90% AV bonus (manual p.178). I do mix the nationalities between command and corps HQ and keep both in range of battle (command 18 hexes, corps 1 hex with the exception of Chinese War Area HQs which have range of 5 hexes).
Examples:
Pacific Fleet with 1st Australian Corps -preparation: Port Moresby
India Command with Burma Corps - preparation: Moulmein
ABDA with Malaya Army - preparatio: Singapore
etc.
Prep both HQs for the same target of your choosing, prep LCU units for the same target as the HQs.
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:38 pm
by zulurider
Thanks for the replies and the welcome! Ok, so if I want to get a command bonus and I had a regiment whos' higher was "I Amphibious Corps" whos' higher was "Pacific Ocean Areas", do I have to have Amphibious Corp in range of Pacific Ocean Areas HQ? Or does that matter, which is what it sounds like you are saying?
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm
by HansBolter
The point they are making is that any Corps HQ can provide a bonus to any LCU and any Command HQ can provide a bonus to any LCU.
The command structure really doesn't exist in game. It would have been nice, but it wasn't implemented.
It only matters that the HQs you want to use have the same "preparation" for the target as the LCU.
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:57 pm
by Yaab
Example:
Pacific Fleet with 1st Australian Corps -preparation: Port Moresby
Pacific Fleet - parked in Townsville
1st Australian Corps - parked in Port Moresby
LCUs prepped for Port Moresby ( can be of any nationality) - parked in Port Moresby.
Obviously, you do need to haul the Pacific Command HQ from Pearl Harbor to Australia.
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 pm
by zulurider
Thanks, ok I get it. WITP AE HQs were not paid the proper "historical" attention I guess! That's ok, love the game anyway! Even if I can get General Blamey to help out the Marines on Guadalcanal. [;)]
Appreciate all the help.
RE: Headquarters Units Help!
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am
by Oldguard1970
Welcome Zulurider,
It is also important to note the difference between "restricted" and "unrestricted" HQ. Units assigned to restricted HQ cannot be moved by sea. Most of us do not let such units cross national boundaries by land or air either. (The restricted HQ and its units represent forces that were not at the full disposal of the commander.)
We use Political Points, PP, to "buy out" restricted units by assigning them to unrestricted HQ. Once that is done, the units are free to be deployed as you see fit.