Page 1 of 2

Boys trip to UK

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:59 pm
by pontiouspilot
I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 pm
by rustysi
I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:14 am
by RogerJNeilson
Slightly of the normal 'tourist tracks, this is great for an immersive feel to the war.

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Bovington is not to be missed!

Roger

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:30 am
by Ralzakark
Second Bovington Tank Museum, which you mentioned in your original list, and and add the Fleet Air Arm Museum as well.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:41 am
by obvert
Firstly, let me know when you're over. If you're in London I could help find venues to consume good scotch in comfy surroundings, and would love to join on an outing or two.

I found Dover pretty interesting. Lots of activity here, and some remnants remain. There were even arty duels across the channel using the big railway guns! [X(]

Around London the Maritime Museums in Greenwhich are good value, and the Cutty Sark is there.

At the mouth of the Thames are the Mansel Forts (pic below), one of the more evocative and eerie remnants of the war. I think boat tours exist from nearby towns.

Nearby also is also the Liberty Ship SS Richard Montgomery, which sunk in the Thames loaded with explosives. Maybe not so good to visit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Image

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 am
by wdolson
Didn't somebody turn one of those Channel forts into their own country?

Bill

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:02 am
by Encircled
Another recommendation for Bovington here.

Went this summer whilst on our way to France and its fantastic.


RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 am
by btd64
ORIGINAL: rustysi

I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.

Me too. also the Tank museum....GP

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:48 am
by RogerJNeilson
What I loved about Bovington is the sheer number of vehicles, and the fact you can actually stand right up by them and touch them.

I have a load of photos somewhere - here is one showing just how close you can get

http://didactylos.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... MTW-XL.jpg

Roger

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:27 pm
by Numdydar
OT to the OT :)

At the Aberdeen Proving Ground, the US Army Ordnance Museum in Maryland you can do the same, walk around and touch everything. One thing that really surprised me is just how frigging big tanks are when you are just standing on the ground. Everything is moving to Ft Lee in VA soon which will be a lot better as that is a lot closer to major population centers than Aberdeen is.

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:36 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!
warspite1

IWM Duxford. Get to ride in a Dragon Rapide. We were weighed and sat in specific positions to ensure the plane was not out of balance.... Great fun! [:)]

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:54 pm
by pontiouspilot
All this is greatly appreciated!

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:12 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

All this is greatly appreciated!

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.
warspite1

Check out the websites for Hendon and Duxford - I do not know it Hendon does the flights as well.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:25 pm
by pontiouspilot
I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm
by pontiouspilot
Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:51 pm
by wdolson
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

All this is greatly appreciated!

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.

In my experience there is no such thing as too many military museums, but that's probably just me.

Bill

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:56 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: wdolson

Didn't somebody turn one of those Channel forts into their own country?

Bill


Yes, can't remember exactly. A rock band leader? A tech millionaire? Something like that.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:02 pm
by obvert
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!

[:D]

It would be great to meet another forumite here in London. Definitely PM or post details closer to the visit.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:53 am
by Ralzakark
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.

It's at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, an inland base. The Sea Harriers used to be based there when not afloat but now it is given over to helicopters.

It has a large collection of aircraft from WWI through to modern, well worth a look. Unfortunately the museum's own web site is being redeveloped, but you can get an idea of the collection from the wikipedia entry, though it doesn't list everything there such as two Fireflies. They have a Corsair stripped back to its original 1944 paint scheme.

RE: Boys trip to UK

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 am
by chemkid
.