Page 1 of 1
good photo site
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:44 am
by tracer
Here's a good site with 100's of rare pictures
http://www.photosammler.de/main.htm (or
http://www.photosammler.de/haupt.htm if you speak German).
And a quick message to my PBEM opponents: 'Tis the season I guess...another death in the family so I'll be out of town until Saturday

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:15 am
by Goblin
That is an awesome site, thank you tracer.
My condolences on your loss

.
Goblin
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:13 pm
by Jacc
Thanks, nice site!
I think somekind of stickied and admined links thread somewhere in the Matrix Forums would be great.
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:14 pm
by Jim1954
tracer, sorry to hear of your loss. It makes the festive season a little less so.
Jim
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:51 am
by tracer
Thanks for the kind words, one and all...my uncle (and godfather) was one of that fast disappearing 'greatest generation'. After the ceremony I spoke at length with some of my father's cousins: three brothers who I just learned had served, were decorated, and made it back. When I asked them about the war they laughed off most of their exploits, saying they were just 'crazy kids' at the time, but between the stories I noticed the pauses where they would quietly stare at nothing in particular for a couple minutes. Could have just been old-age, but the thought I had at the time was that they were probably looking at memories of events that would have left me curled up in a ball and p*ssing myself. As I looked at them I didn't see old men, I saw three people who you'd want with you when everything around was coming apart.
When I was saying goodbye to the middle brother (Frank, a navy landing craft driver in the Pacific) I was determined to let him know I understood a little of what they went through; I thanked him for the stories and told him they were giants in my eyes.
Talk to 'em now guys, they're going fast
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:10 am
by Jeff Norton
Amen!
Tell it again, brother.
I've lost all my uncles that served during the war. Truly, you don't know what you've lost until its gone....