Page 1 of 1

Uber subs....again

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:56 am
by Paul Goodman
Playing #17 under 2.11. No submarine of either side has been damaged (and rarely attacked at all) by depth charge, mouse trap, or air attack, as of January, 1943. They are impervious to everything.

I thought you finally had it right with 2.1. Why? Why? Why?

Paul

Response...

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:15 pm
by Erik Rutins
Paul,

FWIW we did find a problem with subs and fixed it in the current 9.2x that's in testing. However, it's been around for a while so any new results in 2.11 are likely to be coincidental. In the meantime, just hang in there. :)

Regards,

- Erik

Re: Response...

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:14 pm
by ADavidB
Originally posted by Erik Rutins
Paul,

FWIW we did find a problem with subs and fixed it in the current 9.2x that's in testing. However, it's been around for a while so any new results in 2.11 are likely to be coincidental. In the meantime, just hang in there. :)

Regards,

- Erik
That's odd. I've been playing a couple of games at v2.11 and in both cases, both sides have had most of their subs either put into port with lots of damage or sunk by September. The ASW seems to be working quite well - I'm even regularly sinking subs with PCs and the Japanese with anything.

Just be careful not to "over tweak" please.

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:25 pm
by Paul Goodman
David, that's amazing. That's the way it acted in 2.1, but not 2.11. I'm reporting on a game that is U.S. vs. A/I. You are, perhaps playing PBEM? If so, does the game now have certain traits that vary between type of play? Perhaps submarine commander experience is having an overwhelming effect?

Paul

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:57 pm
by Drex
I'm playing PBEM as Japanese and both I and my opponent are getting damged subs on a regular bases. In fact I'm down to two subs. the ASW seems to be working quite nicely thank you:(

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:17 pm
by Yamamoto
I'm playing the scenario that starts in June 43 as the Japanese against the AI and my subs are getting sunk almost every attack. Usually 4 or 5 destroyers will attack them and two will get depth charge hits and the sub will sink within a day or so. As the Japanese I've claimed to have hit one sub but it was probably just fog of war. This is 2.11.

Yamamoto

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:38 pm
by Feinder
In my PBEM game (started v1.4 upgraded thru 2.11), Scen 17, currently June 8th, we're not having any appearent "issues" with subs (at least in my opinion). Playing with Jap sub doctrine OFF btw.

I think I've lost 3 subs (as USA), he's lost 2 (that I know of, I've damaged 2 others, but no debris field). We're getting a good "variety" of results.

I've put a couple of torps into several of his ships, including sinking a couple of cripples. Several (very frustrating) misses with my US torpedoes. 3 of my subs, and 2 of his have paid the ultimate price tho. One of my subs tho managed to survive 2 depth charges -and- limp all the way back to Noumea (from just off Shortland). Boy was that fun watching his float damage going up and down, as my boys frantically tried to save thier boat (and themselves!). Now she's being repaired at Pearl, and her crew enjoying some well-deserved R&R!

But I'm not seeing anything "peculiar" (IMHO) about sub/asw activity. So nothing drastic please!

-F-

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:05 am
by Admiral Scott
I have escorts killing subs, but I havent seen any aircraft on ASW attack a sub yet.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:50 am
by corbulo
Considering Japanese only sank 4 Allied Subs in all of 1942, I dont think its necessarily wrong.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:25 pm
by frank1970
In my game against the AI, I (USN) have lots of attacks on subs (and even other ships) by planes on navalsearch.

"Marauder reports ship sighted"
"Marauder reports AGXXX hit"
happens quite often.
I also have got the message "Catalina damaged by flak" when on navalsearch (Japanese killer submarine damaged two in one turn!).

And even AGs are awfull subkillers now (lost one sub because of defensive fire of an AG).

I would say subwarfare is quite good simulated in 2.11.