Page 1 of 1
Yet another Star Trek movie.
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:23 am
by Brigz
Is anyone excited that another Trek movie is coming out?
Sure, I used to like Star Trek and it's offsping but isn't it getting a little long in the tooth?
My favorite Sci-Fi series:
Farscape
Babylon 5
Star Trek just doesn't seem to keep up with the state of the art exibited by these two TV series. I'm not just talking special effects, I'm talking writing, imagination, and originality.
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:47 am
by Fred98
I am very much looking forward to Star Trek 10.
I am not really a science fiction fan mainly because most go to the realms of fantasy.
In Star Trek, most of the ideas are fantasy but they try and make it plausible and get it away from fantasy.
Ferengi are my fav characters as I am a banker.
But Klingons rate a close second. Love that Klingon blood wine.
The early episodes of Babylon 5 were hopeless but the latter episodes were very good. Of course Will Robinson from Lost in Space made an appearance too.
Dr Who of course as also excellent and Tom Baker was the best Dr Who of all
Did I mention Blakes 7? That too was excellent.
But apart from all the above I am not a science fiction fan.
Danger! Danger! silly idea coming up!
There was a book I saw but didn't read. It assumed the South won the US civil war and in 1914 joined with the Germans in WW1 and attacked north with science fiction weapons.
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:56 am
by Mad Cow
I have always like ST:NG more than the original as a TV show.
I think that one final ST:NG movie is not a bad idea. Certainly beats "Maid in New York"
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:32 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I saw Nemesis, and like Bond movies they are always good, but I am only waiting anxiously for Two Towers, nothing else matters.
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:13 am
by Preuss
Star trek, the next generation has earned from me a new title. Star Trek, the Degeneration.
We went from Kirk and Spock, kicking tail and taking names to a crapload of whiny, humanistic episodes so tedious as to make current events shows more interesting.
Voyager continued this trend.
Oh, please...let's whine some more about the prime directive!
Let's make little pissants like the Ferengi a force to be reckoned with.
What started out as great entertainment became star wars meets three's company, meets the waltons.
One of the Great things about Star trek (the original) was tht you never got 100% of the information about another race. There was always that certain aura of mystery that made you think "I wish they'd show more Romulans"
In the Degeneration there was too much info, too much crap, and too little fighting.
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:46 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I guess then you will like Two Towers. The evil guys are not interested in playing nice and many people get killed enmasse.
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:17 am
by CCB
Star Trek: The Next Generation where all we do in space is talk. Look, our Enterprise bridge looks like your living room or coffee house.
ST:TNG got better when they went to the movies and destroyed NCC-1701D
I thought Voyager was OK, nothing spectacular but it had an interesting premise - lost in space.
15 years ago when they first offered original ST on VHS tape I bought a lot of them and I still like to get them out every once and a while and watch them. I especially like when the stunt doubles come out to do all of Shatner's fighting! :p
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:28 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Considering how I get dumped on for slagging shooters and RTS games I can't understand why people hate Star Trek heheh.
After all what's the fuss, its got action, it's got special effects, so what if it isn't serious science fiction, its "fun" right?
I like the Bond movies and Trek and Star Wars, they're just stories, light weight scifi really. They are the equal of the war movies where it's not important if nothing makes any scientific scense, as long as it all looks cool.
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:15 am
by rockymtndoc
If you make it, they will pay for it. Hollywood at work. The ST movies are certainly entertaining, but I am much more interested in LOR:TT.
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:16 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Merely "interested" in Two Towers?
Heathen!!
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:12 am
by Cpt. Canuck
Star Trek the Old was a great series. They did some great movies. The thing that made it great was not the technology, but the stories and character interactions.
STNG was more about the gee whiz technology than good stories or character interaction.
People quote from Scottie, but never LaForge. "Captain, she canna take much more"
One thing that I can't understand is the frickin Holo-suites. The things keep screwing up and endangering the ship and crewmates, but they never shut them down or fix them!
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:29 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
When you consider how many people have slagged William Shatner for one reason or another, he sure made the old series something else. Then again the whole cast made the show something else.
But it was the cast that made the show.
I have to agree somewhat, the newer shows were often more frills and less acting. I don't think this was the fault of the cast though. They were only able to use what they were given.
I have noticed that a lot of plots were merely re hashed old series notions. I often found that annoying.
But I have always liked the movies. I guess I am just into this sort of film, and not the usual crud shown on the screen in so many other genres of film making.
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:36 am
by Brigz
Originally posted by Cpt. Canuck
One thing that I can't understand is the frickin Holo-suites. The things keep screwing up and endangering the ship and crewmates, but they never shut them down or fix them!
Well, when you get off duty on the bridge and can go to the holo-deck and dial up and have sex with any type of woman you want, who's gonna shut that down? Of course you need to be careful about those computer transmitted diseases.
The thing I got tired of was this: Everytime the Enterprise got into a jam and there was absolutely no way out and the entire crew was facing imminent death in seconds, they always managed to to go down to engineering and redirect the tachyon particles and reconvert them through the main stabilization modulator and pulse them to a phased dispersal unit and, presto, the danger is gone and they are on their merry way once again.
Too many shows ended this way and it got to be just a cop-out.
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:49 am
by Fallschirmjager
Star trek sucks...
Their fu*king shields are always failing...its been like what? A few centuries since the original and deep space 9 or what ever the newest one is?
One would think they would create some kind of better shielding system that was reliable at least 5% of the time.
And sparks keep flying out of the walls?
What the hell is that?
I want a gout of flame to shoot out and incenerate a bridge member...not sparks and a lot of shaking...
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:00 am
by troopie
I would love to see a battle between the hapless redshirts of the Original Star Trek and the Stormtroopers from Star Wars. The redshirts are, by their nature, doomed to die. The stormtroopers can't hit the floor. The battle would go forever.
I got sick of Starfleet's dips giving away everybody's home world. Goddammit, you Feddie scum, you have the most powerful fleet in the Galaxy! Use it to defend your interests! If you won't, then get the Hell out of the way and let people defend themselves!
troopie