Page 1 of 1

Confederate States Navy Ready for Battle

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:05 pm
by Canoerebel
Greetings,

I'm a newcomer to Uncommon Valor. I just purchased the game a few weeks ago and have since been occupied playing the AI. I have plenty of prior wargaming experience (most relevant to UV is "Fighting Flattops" which covers the same area, with similar operational scope of the aircraft and ships, but in far, far less detail and complexity).

I am available daily for at least a couple of hours after my children are in bed (that will be from about 10 p.m. until midnight or so, eastern time, USA).

I am interested in any scenario, long or short, and if my opponent is far more experienced than I am, I prefer playing the USN.

I have version 2.0 right out of the box. Will I need to upgrade to 2.11 to play via email?

Although I am an experienced wargamer and usually learn quickly, prior experience has shown that there are a multitude of tiny but important details in wargames that make a big difference between a newcomer and one with experience. So I don't have any illusions about my chances against an experienced opponent, but I also don't mind sticking to a game I'm losing badly (that way I learn more and increase my desire to turn the tables the next time we meet).

Best to all you good folks,

Canoerebel,
Rome, Georgia

Fellow rebel here

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:32 am
by Mynok
Sandlapper, myself, in exile up here in Tarhole land.

Would love to play you in a short scenario to get my PBEM feet wet. Also new to UV, although a long-time wargamer.

Will play either side.

Uh oh, I scared folks off!

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:28 am
by Canoerebel
Greetings,

Hey, I must have driven off nearly all potential opponents by identifying myself in my first post as an Uncommon Valor rookie. I've only had a single reply! Somebody else step up and teach me a lesson I won't forget. I'll play any scenario, long or short, at any customary settings, and I won't complain as I take it on the chin. In fact, I might surprise you. Send me your turn (slots 10-19 are open).

Come and get me.

Canoerebel

Can't Download 2.11 Yet

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:38 am
by Canoerebel
Ladies (?) and Gents,

Well, I finally found an opponent, but he is using 2.11 and I'm using 2.0 right out of the box. For reasons unknown, the downloads section at Matrix isn't permitting access right now (there is a weeping and gnashing thread in the tech support forum), so I can't play. Until I get 2.11 downloaded, I suppose I can't play.

I'll post a note when I'm up and running with 2.11.

Canoerebel

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:47 am
by Reiryc
If you'd like, I can email the update to 2.11 to you.

If so, let me know at spartan7@charter.net

Reiryc

Got 2.11 and two opponents

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:38 am
by Canoerebel
Ladies (???) and Gents,

I finally got 2.10 and 2.11 installed and found two PBEM opponents. I'm set for now and shall return later to let you know how the Confederate Navy fairs in the South Pacific.

Best to you,

Canoerebel

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:41 am
by Grotius
Before you start your PBEM game, Canoe, you might want to update to 2.20. Matrix just posted a note saying it's available. It looks like a pretty important patch.

Good luck in your game!

*arg*

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:47 am
by Canoerebel
*arg*!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just get 2.10 and 2.11 downloaded, begin my first two PBEM games, and suddenly 2.20 is available? I suspect that this is a Yankee conspiracy to deny the Confederate Navy use of French and British ports.

Since I've started two new games, can I download 2.20 without starting my games over again?

Thanks to the gentleman above who offered to email me 2.11 (an offer I would have gladly accepted had I not finally succeeded in downloading earlier today).

Canoe

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:48 am
by Reiryc
Yes you should be able to update to 2.20 without having to restart.

Reiryc