Page 1 of 1

Message: "System Resources are Low"

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:49 am
by rbrunsman
Just recently I started getting "System Resources are too low to perform the function you are attempting. Free up resources and try again." This message appears when I try to zip my PBEM files and email them after I finish a turn. The computer didn't do this before and I haven't installed any new software that I can think of. Other than internet surfing and bank acct management, the only thing I use my computer at home for is SPWAW. Does anyone know why this message may have just started to appear? Am I on the verge of a HD meltdown? Any tips on how to make it stop doing that? The only thing I can do to fix it is reboot the computer and then zip the files.

I have a Dell, PIII, ~800MHz, 256 RAM, WinME. Just a standard Dell setup with no added peripherals.

I'm thinking it may be time to just reinstall the OS.:confused:

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:54 am
by Voriax
Well, not an expert but I'd guess a memory leak somewhere..you could call up windows task manager (does Me have it?) with the 3-finger salute and see how much free memory is left. Do this after you've finished your pbem turn.

Other reason might be that your HD is about full...after a game session Me has hogged whatever was left for its swap file thus no space to do any extra HD operations.

Check these two first...I doubt OS reinstall is necessary but an OS maintenance might be in order.

Voriax

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:18 am
by rbrunsman
Thanks. I'll check both of those possibilities.

I've been suspicious of a memory leak for a while. If I have one, how do I stop it. I have been using Cacheman for several months now and I haven't noticed any difference in performance and clearing up memory with it doesn't resolve the "Low Resources" problem.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:06 am
by Supervisor
Run a manual virus scan FIRST!!!!!!!! Also could have a bad memory stick, make sure on startup the amount of RAM you have installed is correct (BIOS POST). Also after windows start go to the run box and type msconfig and select the startup tab, this will show all those hidden programs that auto start with windows. You'd be surprised how many unneeded ones there are. Also right click on my computer and check your performance tab then virtual memory and make sure your letting windows manage it. One last thing run scandisk and then defrag and this will help rearrange files so the fun faster and more effeciently causing less of a memory drag.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:22 pm
by rbrunsman
Once I uncheck some of the unneeded autostart programs in msconfig, how do I actually delete the programs I don't want? I don't see them in the add/remove list in the control panel.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll do them when I get home tonight.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:11 am
by Supervisor
Unless you get a cleansweep type program, chances are your stuck with them, if there not showing up in the add/remove programs. It can be catistrofic if you start hacking the registry just to remove old programs that are still hanging around. Look for the program in the program menu from the stat button and see if it still resides, most programs have an uninstaller built in, but if they do still reside then they should have shown up in the add/remove programs option. I'll do some looking for some good freeware programs that will clean up the drive along with the registry.

tools

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:47 pm
by brucertx
Check out this guys tools. I use the startup control monitor (just the ticket for what you are talking about) and the startup monitor (it notifies you of programs trying to insert themselves in the startup menu).

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:58 pm
by rbrunsman
Thanks guys.

Does anyone see a problem with using the program Brucertx suggests? All those startup programs are annoying. Escpecially when they just appear without you asking for them.:mad:

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:45 pm
by Voriax
Probably an okay program. No personal experience so I can't comment any further.

But one program I *can* recommend is 'AdAware' from this site: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Run it and be surprised about how much hidden spam your system (probably) has.

Voriax

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:26 am
by brucertx
I run AdAware as well. The programs really do differnt things. The one I posted allows you to manipulate your start menu without having to use msconfig. The other simply give you a pop up notice when a new program is trying to configure itself to load at start up.
I use all 3 very happily!
Bruce