Page 1 of 1
New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:03 am
by synpax
If anyone is paying attention to this forum:
i.imgur(.)com/RFXNVPb.jpg
Remove the () since the forum won't let me add an image or post a link.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:08 am
by twinkypillow
did i miss something or are you trying to get them to look at crashes from an older version?? 1.9? version 10 is out man.. (unless i'm off my rockers..) ((and its probably not ready yet and you'll still get crashes i'm sure but..))
tm.asp?m=3714344
and I haven't had a crash in awhile to be honest.. but i dont' know how you are playing.. maybe i should try your save game..
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:56 pm
by synpax
According to Steam, it was updated to 1.9.5.9 four days ago. I am not using a beta.
Here is another crash causing bug with some really strange particulars.
i.imgur period com/f6x56pC.jpg
Replace the period with a .
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 pm
by twinkypillow
Dude.. give me your savegame..i'll play it.. and see if i get a crash.. i haven't had a crash yet..
and learn to put in pictures.. i'm not putting in any more fricken periods man.. and dont' forget to god dang save it as a jpeg.. use snipping tool or anything to take the picture..

RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 am
by synpax
The forum is not intuitive - the 'click to upload' is not available in the traditional and most intuitive place to add a file - on the text area / entry form at the bottom of the thread. The only way you can see that box is if you hit 'post reply.'
Also, I am not allowed to post links or upload images until seven days after my tenth post. So it's at least a week.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am
by synpax
It just crashed again. Same error.
I'd really appreciate you giving my game a try; I was just about to conquer the blue humans (light blue in color) after loading and refueling the single-letter fleets of my own designed capitol ships. (A, B, C, etc.) AA, BB, CC, etc. are for pirate harassment/defense/auto-pilot.
bit(.)ly/1z649Ev
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 am
by Bingeling
You should (usually) find a written crash file (with the last crash) in the folder above the savegame one. Name of the file is pretty intuitive (DWcrashdump or something).
I will automate it for a bit and see what happens.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 am
by Bingeling
Hurray it crashed (?!). Finding and reporting them is good for the future stability of the game at least... I guess I will continue this one as it could be fertile ground.
Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.9
14:09:34 6. desember 2014
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.ShipGroup.CheckRefuelRepairAttack(Boolean completedAttackMission, Empire attackEmpire)
at DistantWorlds.Types.ShipGroup.CompleteMission(Boolean clearShipMissions)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.FleeFromHopelessBattle()
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.DoTasks(DateTime time, Int64 starDate, Boolean inView)
at DistantWorlds.Main.QAWMRZtE7Prk9RWq8No(Object , DateTime , Int64 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main.Hb9wFaxt7D(DateTime , Int64 , BuiltObjectList , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()
--- COMPLETE ---
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:40 am
by Bingeling
I started the game from the same point. It took longer time (10 years?) but the same crash happened again. At least I see the same thing
Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.9
15:37:47 6. desember 2014
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.ShipGroup.CheckRefuelRepairAttack(Boolean completedAttackMission, Empire attackEmpire)
at DistantWorlds.Types.ShipGroup.CompleteMission(Boolean clearShipMissions)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.FleeFromHopelessBattle()
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.DoTasks(DateTime time, Int64 starDate, Boolean inView)
at DistantWorlds.Main.QAWMRZtE7Prk9RWq8No(Object , DateTime , Int64 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main.Hb9wFaxt7D(DateTime , Int64 , BuiltObjectList , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()
--- COMPLETE ---
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:33 pm
by synpax
Any idea on how to go about resolving this crash?
I actually am not getting the same crashes I got in the past - the out of memory errors.
Although twice there were hard crash to desktops without any error messages at all, or the dreaded 'Distant Worlds Stopped working, want to debug' dialogue box.
Here's the thing: there are really two problems. It takes forever to save and load games, and it also crashes a lot. If it was just one problem or the other, I wouldn't mind. But combined, they really ruin it for me.
How long does it take you to load and save my game?
I also wonder if the game is going to break when I get to 2.1 trillion population due to the 32 bit programming.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 am
by Bingeling
The game took a long time to load. I did not time it since I was not particularly impatient and just checked on it later. If you run games long enough, they do take a long time to save/load (not that I ever checked what was actually going on, and how far advanced it was).
Some have claimed that if you turn off "respawning pirates" it does help quite a bit in a big galaxy (it is a checkbox when you create the galaxy). That way there will be less of them (and less ships in total). I noticed quite a few pirate attacks, which surprised me.
What you can do about the crash? It is a genuine program crash. You could try the beta, but I doubt it fixes it since no crash fixes are mentioned. There is something going on in your game that exposes this vulnerable spot in the program. As long as this thread is noticed, I expect this particular issue to be fixed in .11 (if that one ever appears). Or in an updated .10.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:04 pm
by synpax
Thanks.
I *believe* I turned off pirate respawning. I did make the game pretty difficult, but I didn't want it to be crazy. I started with a bunch of pirates, though.
RE: New crashing Error in 1.9.5.9
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:24 pm
by elliotg
Hi synpax and Bingeling
Thanks for those crash reports.
These are fixed in the next update.
Elliot