Page 1 of 1
AC versus AGs - Huh?
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:46 pm
by ADavidB
I'm playing v2.11, scenario 16, Allies versus the AI, and along further than I've ever been in a game. The AI now has swarms of AGs wandering around the map like cockroaches. Most of my subs have a good time shooting at them, usually with deck guns but also sometimes with torps too. And my surface combat squadrens have a field day with them. But for some reason, none of my aircraft will attack them.
I've got all sorts of aircraft all over the place, set to naval attack, and they will bump into each other on the way to go after APs, APDs, DDs and so on. But they totally ignore those swarms of AGs. Is this supposed to happen, or is there an obscure combination of settings that I have to put the aircraft at to get them to go after the AGs?
Thanks -
Dave Baranyi
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:58 pm
by Paul Goodman
Only aircraft at strafing altitude will attack barges (100 ft.) And then, they all attack one barge! I think they intend to fix this, but not yet.
Paul
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:02 am
by ADavidB
Originally posted by Paul Goodman
Only aircraft at strafing altitude will attack barges (100 ft.) And then, they all attack one barge! I think they intend to fix this, but not yet.
Paul
Oh, okay, great! I'll try that out. One barge is better than none.
Thanks -
Dave Baranyi
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:02 am
by bilbow
I find that fighter-bombers set at low altitide will taget the barges successfully, IF ther is no other target available. Barges are very low on the priority list.
Hope this helps
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:04 am
by ADavidB
Originally posted by bilbow
I find that fighter-bombers set at low altitide will taget the barges successfully, IF ther is no other target available. Barges are very low on the priority list.
Hope this helps
Okay, great, I'll try it. I never fly anything very low, so this will be something new.
Thanks -
Dave
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:14 am
by ADavidB
Well, thanks to the suggestions, I moved a well-rested, experienced fighter-bomber squadren next to a AG hotspot, set the altitude to 100 feet, set them to naval attack, and waited.
Hmmm - a couple of turns and still no action. There's plenty of air support and supplies too. I even have a air search group in that base. Do I need to set the fighter bombers at something else other than naval attack?
Thanks again -
Dave Baranyi
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:30 pm
by siRkid
Originally posted by ADavidB
Well, thanks to the suggestions, I moved a well-rested, experienced fighter-bomber squadren next to a AG hotspot, set the altitude to 100 feet, set them to naval attack, and waited.
Hmmm - a couple of turns and still no action. There's plenty of air support and supplies too. I even have a air search group in that base. Do I need to set the fighter bombers at something else other than naval attack?
Thanks again -
Dave Baranyi
No FB at 100 ft set to Naval attack should do it.
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:29 pm
by Yamamoto
The reason I hate this 'special' setting to attack barges is what happens if the air group decided to go after a flak-heavy target such as a BB group? At 100 feet they would get slaughtered.
I would like my air groups set on naval attack to go after barges at ANY altitude, if there were no other targets available.
Yamamoto