Page 1 of 1

Is this a database error?

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:24 pm
by JPFisher55
I am playing the "Operation Lion Den" scenario. I was surprised to find that the shore 130mm batteries outranged my 203mm (8 inch) naval turret.
So I looked it up at Wikipedia. The listed range for the 130mm gun was 14-15 miles, but the listed range for the 203mm was 17 miles, not the 14 in the database.
I was still suprised that the 130mm outranged the 152 (6 inch) gun, but Wikipedia lists its range at sbout 10 miles.

RE: Is this a database error?

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 pm
by mikmykWS
Depends on the ammo but we'll definitely take a look.

Thanks!

Mike

RE: Is this a database error?

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:19 am
by SerenitySteele
Just a quick glance using Google and I found that the ranges varied by up to 8-10nm for both guns depending on the ammo. Different shells vary in mass and muzzle velocity which affects the range. Something I just thought of too is what the max elevation is for the turret and shore battery in the database. Though I imagine the turret in question could elevate higher than the optimum angle for max range, I know there were a few that couldn't elevate that high.