Page 1 of 1

New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:19 pm
by Delaware
As a guy trying to make heads or tails out of this game, should I install the Dababes mods and learn from there? Or leave them alone until the vanilla game is mastered?

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 pm
by oldman45
Go with the vanilla first.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm
by Michael Vail
Has anyone ever mastered this? I just started a new game with the beta patch (finally) and KB went and attacked Johnston Is. after PH. That was a new one on me and now I've lost track of them. I would learn with DBB and the patch.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:12 pm
by geofflambert
All of us learned with stock. Until you have that experience, you're not qualified to decide which mod is best, if any of them. I'm a devoted DBB-C player, but don't let that influence you. Did I say I was a devoted DBB-C player?

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 pm
by topeverest
agreed. vanilla 1 or 2 is an excellent place to start. You will find you center after you play a scenario.
ORIGINAL: oldman45

Go with the vanilla first.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:08 am
by Jim D Burns
I’m a contrarian on this issue. DaBabes or some incarnation/mod of DaBabes is what most people play these days. The guys who put it together were part of the team that did AE, so I view it as an upgrade to the stock stuff. A lot of issues with the game are helped a lot by the hex stacking limit map and reduced ship capacity versions of their scenarios.

Granted learning the game using DaBabes increases the complexity a bit, but I don’t think it’s a big enough difference to justify forging using it to learn on. If you learn on stock and enjoy the game I guarantee at some point you will make the move to learn DaBabes, and that simply adds more time to the learning curve.

May as well jump in with both feet, because with WitP AE you are already swimming in the deep end of war gaming. If the minor uptick in complexity of DaBabes is enough to turn you away from the game then I doubt the difference between stock and Dababes will matter much anyway.

Jim

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:35 am
by rustysi
Granted learning the game using DaBabes increases the complexity a bit, but I don’t think it’s a big enough difference to justify forging using it to learn on. If you learn on stock and enjoy the game I guarantee at some point you will make the move to learn DaBabes, and that simply adds more time to the learning curve.

While I don't dissagree with this I must say I've been at the game for some time and I'd like to start a PBEM game soon. If I have to constantly learn new procedures I'll never get there, and I'm close. I've seen some posts for oponents for vanilla. It looks like we're getting a new crop here too.[:D]

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:40 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

I’m a contrarian on this issue. DaBabes or some incarnation/mod of DaBabes is what most people play these days. The guys who put it together were part of the team that did AE, so I view it as an upgrade to the stock stuff. A lot of issues with the game are helped a lot by the hex stacking limit map and reduced ship capacity versions of their scenarios.

Granted learning the game using DaBabes increases the complexity a bit, but I don’t think it’s a big enough difference to justify forging using it to learn on. If you learn on stock and enjoy the game I guarantee at some point you will make the move to learn DaBabes, and that simply adds more time to the learning curve.

May as well jump in with both feet, because with WitP AE you are already swimming in the deep end of war gaming. If the minor uptick in complexity of DaBabes is enough to turn you away from the game then I doubt the difference between stock and Dababes will matter much anyway.

Jim


And I don't disagree with any of this, but there's a lot of experienced players in PBEMs using stock, and I don't want to treat them as though they're Homo Erectus or anything like that, but c'mon guys, get with the program!

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:43 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: rustysi
Granted learning the game using DaBabes increases the complexity a bit, but I don’t think it’s a big enough difference to justify forging using it to learn on. If you learn on stock and enjoy the game I guarantee at some point you will make the move to learn DaBabes, and that simply adds more time to the learning curve.

While I don't dissagree with this I must say I've been at the game for some time and I'd like to start a PBEM game soon. If I have to constantly learn new procedures I'll never get there, and I'm close. I've seen some posts for oponents for vanilla. It looks like we're getting a new crop here too.[:D]


If you'd like to do a dry run or two, I think I could oblige.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 am
by rustysi
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Granted learning the game using DaBabes increases the complexity a bit, but I don’t think it’s a big enough difference to justify forging using it to learn on. If you learn on stock and enjoy the game I guarantee at some point you will make the move to learn DaBabes, and that simply adds more time to the learning curve.

While I don't dissagree with this I must say I've been at the game for some time and I'd like to start a PBEM game soon. If I have to constantly learn new procedures I'll never get there, and I'm close. I've seen some posts for oponents for vanilla. It looks like we're getting a new crop here too.[:D]


If you'd like to do a dry run or two, I think I could oblige.

Would love to Geof, but I can't commit at the present time as I don't have the time. RL gets in the way too much yet, but I'm working on it.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:51 am
by geofflambert
Get a divorce if you have to, this is far more important. [:'(]

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:58 am
by rustysi
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Get a divorce if you have to, this is far more important. [:'(]

Been there, done that. That's what allowed me to start playing this "time vampire" of a game in the first place.[:D]
Well that and the kids moving out.[;)]

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: rustysi
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Get a divorce if you have to, this is far more important. [:'(]

Been there, done that. That's what allowed me to start playing this "time vampire" of a game in the first place.[:D]
Well that and the kids moving out.[;)]

Will I never live down my connection with that bloodless complainer? His very existence has cast a shadow on me I cannot seem to elude.

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:10 am
by rustysi
Will I never live down my connection with that bloodless complainer? His very existence has cast a shadow on me I cannot seem to elude.

Oh, did you know him? Its no biggie I just like to use the quote.[:D]

RE: New Player: Worry about Dababes?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 am
by wdolson
I would recommend stock for new players because there are more short stock scenarios. When someone is ready for the grand campaign, maybe then its time to get DaBabes.

Bill