Page 1 of 1

Time to play a turn?

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:01 am
by nelmsm1
I'm debating on putting this game or one of several others on the top of my X-Mas list. My time is limited somewhat so I am wondering how long, on average, does it take to complete a PBEM turn?

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:19 am
by bilbow
It takes me from 10 minutes for a routine turn to maybe 45 minutes if I'm putting together a major operation. PBEM is nice because unlike the RTS games you can do your turn at your convenience- it isn't necessary for your opponent to be there at the same time. If he is available at the same time, you can cycle turns every 20-30 minutes.

If you like the subject matter, this one should be at the top of your list. It's the best ever done.

Hard at Work?

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:50 am
by mbatch729
Ah, I see my esteemed opponent is hard at work today. I've leaving shortly myself. My turns in our game are down to about 2 minutes. Watch the replay, click the save button:(

But, in Bill's right about the times. 10 to 45 minutes is my average too. If you're really, ah, attentive, you can spend an hour or more checking things.

And yes, this is one of the best games ever. So additictive is should be regulated as a drug.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:05 am
by Bax
Have to agree with everyone here. I usually spent 10 minutes to an hour on a turn, most of it spent second-guessing myself on an upcoming move.

This is the most addictive computer game I've played since "X-Com" back in 1994. And it is certainly the best WW2 strategy game ever....even tops Gary Grigsby's "Pacific War" from 1991.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:26 am
by Reiryc
Could I ask what other games you are considering getting?

Coming to the matrix UV forum and asking if you should get the game is a bit of like asking in a church whether or not you should believe in God ;)

So please, let us know what other games you are playing and maybe we can give you some comparison info on levels of fun for each game.

Reiryc

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:33 am
by nelmsm1
I have no doubt that it would be loads of fun but I was worried that it might take a couple of hours to do a turn just reading the descriptions of detail described in the various posts in this forum. I play the Battleground and HPS Civil War and Napoleonics and SPWAW PBEM and was wondering if PBEM turns in UV would take a similar amount of time or take up the majority of my daily computer time to do one turn. From the replies so far it sounds like the time to do a turn is not too much different. I was also wanting Campaign 1776 or Campaign Wagram from HPS but UV has the added attraction of being available (maybe) at my local CompUSA while the wife would be have to wait until after New Year's to order one of the HPS games. So it is also a question of a bird in the hand being worth 2 in the bush. Unless someone posts a dissenting note then it looks like UV will go to the top of the list. :D

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:41 am
by bilbow
Looking for a disenting vote here will be rather futile.

You could cut the time down evn further that we have already indicated by not micromanaging as most of us do, or playing multiple day turns.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:28 am
by Basement Command
You got time for a full Movement phase at Battleground Gettysburg - July 3, 3:00pm - full 3 day battle? You got time for UV.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:32 am
by nelmsm1
Now that's a definitive answer if I ever saw one! :cool:

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:26 am
by Grotius
It's not even a close call. If you like wargames, UV is a must-have!

Like everyone else, I take about 10-45 minutes a turn, depending on what I'm doing. The only exception is the very first turn of a big campaign, when I spend extra time fussing and kvetching and arguing with myself about my Grand Strategy. But after the first turn, things are in motion, and the game flies by.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:44 am
by Fred98
And the answer varies depending which scenario you play. Some scenarios have more units involved than others.

The first turn of every scenario takes the longest. You need to issue orders to almost every unit on the map. For me the first turn can take an hour or more.

But subsequent turns are short. Once you know the game you will know which units you need to check and amend their orders. It can take 20 mins to 45 mins for me to play subsequent turns.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:36 am
by denisonh
But you will have to spend some time playing the AI to get the feel for the game. That may kill an inordinate amount of time.:)