Page 1 of 5

OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:36 pm
by KG Erwin
... it has become an empty holiday for me, as I haven't seen my daughter for a year and a half. I don't want any sympathy, but I want to remind all of you that your family is what's most important to you. Show your love for them in this Christmas season, and spend some time with them if you can.

Happy holidays to all,
Glenn

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 pm
by rhondabrwn
Very true.

I'm alone for the holidays as well. At my age, it makes me realize how I really neglected my parents after I had my own family going. That is something I regret deeply :( Still, I'm just glad that my sons and daughter will be surrounded by friends, spouses, children and inlaws during this occasion. I live vicariously through Facebook postings and pictures. That is enough :)

My online friends like yourself help me keep my spirits up... and I have all my ranch critters ;)

Happy Holidays Glenn :)

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 pm
by Gilmer
I always get together with some part of my family every Christmas. I hope your daughter comes to see you soon. Merry Christmas, Rhonda, they'll come to see you soon, I am betting!

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:12 pm
by MrsWargamer
I don't really like the blasted holiday to be honest.

A. it's not his real birthday, thus making it a scam event.
B. it's commercialized to death.
C. more of this planet is NOT Christian than Christian and as such, it's again, a pointless event.

But even with the separation making this the first Christmas sort of alone, the thing is, we are still friends and still doing the Christmas family dinner either way. I've been baking up a storm here. My gifts were all made in my kitchen.

If you must fixate on an event, me personally, I think New Years Day gives more mileage. Not religious, nothing needed to be bought, and it's about the hope of a better year to come.

I hope you enjoy your Christmas regardless of your persuasion, never pass a chance for a good turkey dinner eh. But my primary wish, is 2015 is good to you.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 pm
by KrazyIrish89
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
A. it's not his real birthday, thus making it a scam event.
B. it's commercialized to death.
C. more of this planet is NOT Christian than Christian and as such, it's again, a pointless event.

I can understand A to an extent, and definitely B. How does the fact that more of this planet is not Christian than Christian have anything to do with making it a worthwhile or pointless event?


RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:15 am
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: KrazyIrish89
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
A. it's not his real birthday, thus making it a scam event.
B. it's commercialized to death.
C. more of this planet is NOT Christian than Christian and as such, it's again, a pointless event.

I can understand A to an extent, and definitely B. How does the fact that more of this planet is not Christian than Christian have anything to do with making it a worthwhile or pointless event?

Warspite1

+1

What has the number of Christians got to do with it? Most religions are not in the majority but that does not mean their religious festivals are pointless TO THEM.

Scam event? It's the date used to celebrate the birth of Christ. The fact that he may not have actually been born then is irrelevant. Our Queen was born in April but her birthday is officially celebrated in June so what?

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 am
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: KrazyIrish89
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
A. it's not his real birthday, thus making it a scam event.
B. it's commercialized to death.
C. more of this planet is NOT Christian than Christian and as such, it's again, a pointless event.

I can understand A to an extent, and definitely B. How does the fact that more of this planet is not Christian than Christian have anything to do with making it a worthwhile or pointless event?

Warspite1

+1

What has the number of Christians got to do with it? Most religions are not in the majority but that does not mean their religious festivals are pointless TO THEM.

Scam event? It's the date used to celebrate the birth of Christ. The fact that he may not have actually been born then is irrelevant. Our Queen was born in April but her birthday is officially celebrated in June so what?

And Lincoln's and Washington's birthday is celebrated on the third Monday in February. And I've never heard that called a scam event either.

In other words, +2.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 am
by MrsWargamer
Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.

Ok Santa does NOT come to all of the boys and girls of the world, even though that's part of the whole silly notion. Christmas is not an event to the greater majority of the global population to begin with. If you consider China and India basically not Christian populations and that is 2/3 of humanity right there eh.

Santa is after all predominantly a Christian obsession. And yes, we all know, just about the entire event is originally of pagan origins.

They call it Christmas, and I bet most actually DO think Christ was born on December 25th. But considering what mainstream Christianity actually does believe in, nothing shocks me any more :)

But then, most also probably expect Christ looks Caucasian as well.

The entire Christian event is almost entirely a fabrication. Sometimes I find myself wanting to do repeated facepalms when I hear of people getting so upset over the way the Christian event of Christmas is being treated. But really, it's as Christian as any other day of the year. The day was picked for only one reason, to usurp a pagan event, and steal it for their own.

I'm not Christian, but, I don't have any issues with them picking the 25th to make their fuss over him.
I do think it's kinda funny though, how easily people become Christian, the moment they're told that they have to work that day :) Then suddenly their work is impinging on their god given rights :)

It's also kinda sad the other religions can't justify days off of work. But I suppose if you satisfied all of them, no one would ever get anything done :) Google often has all sorts of reasons why a day should me remembered for some special reason :)

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:52 am
by JWW
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.

Ok Santa does NOT come to all of the boys and girls of the world, even though that's part of the whole silly notion. Christmas is not an event to the greater majority of the global population to begin with. If you consider China and India basically not Christian populations and that is 2/3 of humanity right there eh.

Santa is after all predominantly a Christian obsession. And yes, we all know, just about the entire event is originally of pagan origins.

They call it Christmas, and I bet most actually DO think Christ was born on December 25th. But considering what mainstream Christianity actually does believe in, nothing shocks me any more :)

But then, most also probably expect Christ looks Caucasian as well.

The entire Christian event is almost entirely a fabrication. Sometimes I find myself wanting to do repeated facepalms when I hear of people getting so upset over the way the Christian event of Christmas is being treated. But really, it's as Christian as any other day of the year. The day was picked for only one reason, to usurp a pagan event, and steal it for their own.

I'm not Christian, but, I don't have any issues with them picking the 25th to make their fuss over him.
I do think it's kinda funny though, how easily people become Christian, the moment they're told that they have to work that day :) Then suddenly their work is impinging on their god given rights :)

It's also kinda sad the other religions can't justify days off of work. But I suppose if you satisfied all of them, no one would ever get anything done :) Google often has all sorts of reasons why a day should me remembered for some special reason :)

Well, you certainly took this thread to a low point.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:06 am
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.
Warspite1

Well I'm sure that sentence means something to you [;)][X(][&:]

So basically you made a couple of points about Christmas that were largely wrong, and were called out over it, and now, instead of accepting the fact, you bring in all sorts of other stuff to try and justify your earlier comment (but are still banging on about the fact most of the World is not Christian like that is at all relevant).

To those who want to celebrate the Christian aspect they can, to those who are just glad of a day or two off work, that's up to them too. For me personally, I'll do both thank-you. Oh and my little Warspite's will be making biscuits for Santa and leaving out carrots for Rudolf just as they have done every year since they were small enough to believe in Father Christmas. How you or other non-believers (in God), or indeed those with their own God to worship, choose to spend Christmas is up to you/them.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:09 am
by Twotribes
I don't much like this season. I had my breakdown in December 1994, I have trouble with crowds due to paranoia and it is dark far to long. I am not a happy person so knowing this is supposed to be a happy season does not strike a cord with me.

I know Jesus was not born on the 25th of December but that does not bother me too much religious wise.

So depression and paranoia make this part of the year bah humbug for me. If you can enjoy it more the merry to you.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:00 am
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: JW

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.

Ok Santa does NOT come to all of the boys and girls of the world, even though that's part of the whole silly notion. Christmas is not an event to the greater majority of the global population to begin with. If you consider China and India basically not Christian populations and that is 2/3 of humanity right there eh.

Santa is after all predominantly a Christian obsession. And yes, we all know, just about the entire event is originally of pagan origins.

They call it Christmas, and I bet most actually DO think Christ was born on December 25th. But considering what mainstream Christianity actually does believe in, nothing shocks me any more :)

But then, most also probably expect Christ looks Caucasian as well.

The entire Christian event is almost entirely a fabrication. Sometimes I find myself wanting to do repeated facepalms when I hear of people getting so upset over the way the Christian event of Christmas is being treated. But really, it's as Christian as any other day of the year. The day was picked for only one reason, to usurp a pagan event, and steal it for their own.

I'm not Christian, but, I don't have any issues with them picking the 25th to make their fuss over him.
I do think it's kinda funny though, how easily people become Christian, the moment they're told that they have to work that day :) Then suddenly their work is impinging on their god given rights :)

It's also kinda sad the other religions can't justify days off of work. But I suppose if you satisfied all of them, no one would ever get anything done :) Google often has all sorts of reasons why a day should me remembered for some special reason :)

Well, you certainly took this thread to a low point.

Yup

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:03 am
by Aurelian
ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.
Warspite1

Well I'm sure that sentence means something to you [;)][X(][&:]

So basically you made a couple of points about Christmas that were largely wrong, and were called out over it, and now, instead of accepting the fact, you bring in all sorts of other stuff to try and justify your earlier comment (but are still banging on about the fact most of the World is not Christian like that is at all relevant).

To those who want to celebrate the Christian aspect they can, to those who are just glad of a day or two off work, that's up to them too. For me personally, I'll do both thank-you. Oh and my little Warspite's will be making biscuits for Santa and leaving out carrots for Rudolf just as they have done every year since they were small enough to believe in Father Christmas. How you or other non-believers (in God), or indeed those with their own God to worship, choose to spend Christmas is up to you/them.

+1 But, *every* day is a day off for me.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:18 am
by Zap
ORIGINAL: Aurelian

ORIGINAL: JW

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of you can even manage to accomplish any real measure of potential for challenge as an opponent with such lack luster capacity to reason out a comment.

Ok Santa does NOT come to all of the boys and girls of the world, even though that's part of the whole silly notion. Christmas is not an event to the greater majority of the global population to begin with. If you consider China and India basically not Christian populations and that is 2/3 of humanity right there eh.

Santa is after all predominantly a Christian obsession. And yes, we all know, just about the entire event is originally of pagan origins.

They call it Christmas, and I bet most actually DO think Christ was born on December 25th. But considering what mainstream Christianity actually does believe in, nothing shocks me any more :)

But then, most also probably expect Christ looks Caucasian as well.

The entire Christian event is almost entirely a fabrication. Sometimes I find myself wanting to do repeated facepalms when I hear of people getting so upset over the way the Christian event of Christmas is being treated. But really, it's as Christian as any other day of the year. The day was picked for only one reason, to usurp a pagan event, and steal it for their own.

I'm not Christian, but, I don't have any issues with them picking the 25th to make their fuss over him.
I do think it's kinda funny though, how easily people become Christian, the moment they're told that they have to work that day :) Then suddenly their work is impinging on their god given rights :)

It's also kinda sad the other religions can't justify days off of work. But I suppose if you satisfied all of them, no one would ever get anything done :) Google often has all sorts of reasons why a day should me remembered for some special reason :)

Well, you certainly took this thread to a low point.

Yup



+2

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:11 am
by parusski
WOW, Glenn's simple little message sure got the mud flying-for no reason at all.

Merry Christmas Glenn.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:11 am
by Orm
Thank you, Glenn.

I hope you have Happy Holidays Glenn.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:17 am
by CV60
In "A Christmas Carol" Dickens briefly addresses this attitude towards Christmas. Here is an adaptation of that scene, as done in 1984, featuring George C. Scott. Start at the 59:00 minute mark and watch for two minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdMjXhPGd0

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:02 am
by aaatoysandmore
I often wonder when you teach your children there is an easter bunny, a tooth fairy and a Santa Claus how you can expect them to believe in this Christ. They are all old stories from the past that created them. After revealing a lie 3 times told about the bunny and fairy and Santa Claus (hope no small children can read)I often wonder how you can expect them to believe you again? This part of life amazes me to some extent.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 am
by wodin
@KG I'm on my own from 11am once my daughter goes to her Nans and see her Mum for a few days..so from 11am Xmas day I'm on my own for a few days.....

I will be thinking of you though. I understand loneliness.

RE: OT As Christmas Approaches...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 am
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

... it has become an empty holiday for me, as I haven't seen my daughter for a year and a half. I don't want any sympathy, but I want to remind all of you that your family is what's most important to you. Show your love for them in this Christmas season, and spend some time with them if you can.

Happy holidays to all,
Glenn

A Merry Christmas to you, KG. I've a full house now with two young children, but can feel some of your visceral emptiness. Your message is a good reminder to show love for my family, which I fully intend to do.

@ Warspite1: thanks for the reminder on the carrots for the reindeer! I'd almost forgotten.