Page 1 of 2
Hey Tanker Veterans - is this possible?
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:32 am
by Polrbear
Looking for real tanker advice. "Which WW2 tanks types, given a veteran crew and unbuttoned status, are capable of pivoting 60% in 12 seconds and getting off a kill first shot after reversing 30 feet from an out of sight position in falling snow? What is the probability that an American Tank Destroyer achieves this result"?
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:39 am
by Leibstandarte
I'm not a WWII tanker but not very likely under those circumstances. This is not to say impossible. A well trained tank crew can do ANYTHING they set their mind to, just ask a tanker and they will tell you.
------------------
Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:16 am
by Venger
Apparently 100% in your current game I presume...
Venger
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:35 am
by DoubleDeuce
I have been on tanks from M48A5's through M1A1's and have seen Tankers hit things in situations you think to yourself "No Way!" Then again I've seen tank crews pump round after round down range and never hit a thing. Same with M3 Bradleys. IMHO those pulling the triggers either have a knack for it, or they don't. Of course practice helps, with some more than others.
------------------
"Double Deuce on the Loose"
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:53 am
by Leibstandarte
As far as Bradley's are concerned they are lucky to hit anything that is farther than a football field. Just Kidding to all you Grunts out there.
"Infantry may very well be the Queen of the battlefield, but ARMOR is the chastity belt that keeps the b--ch in line"
------------------
Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:55 am
by Paul Vebber
Sounds like you're playing Combat Mission
I take the time clock with a grain of salt...if you take it literally you get lots of really strange results.
Trying to track individual seconds ticking off is problematic to say the least.
[This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited September 29, 2000).]
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:15 am
by Wild Bill
I'm not a tanker but after reading hundreds of books on WW2 - Post WW2 including dozens about tank experiences I have learned, if what I have read is true, that anything is possible in any given situation. Not common, but possible.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:19 am
by Polrbear
That's correct Paul. The Mad Minute scenario as the Germans. American TDs are uncanny in accuracy - 5 kills in 6 shots despite little acquistion time and "very slow' turrent rating. Makes me wonder if there isn't an American bias in the game. I'm not slaming CM, as its great in other aspects. Just wondered what the tried and true SPWAW guys thought about this question.
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:06 am
by Fuerte
Heh, I also "saw" the situation in CM. I have also wondered sometimes when my tank has been blown up, if that would have happened in real life. But I hope that it is the same for both players.
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:52 pm
by Warhorse
I sometimes like to break out Panzer Commander, just to get a 'sort of' feel for how things are in armored combat. Even crawling along cross country at 12 mph, it is hard to hit a stationary, let alone moving target!! But then sometimes, you make a snap shot, and do it!! It's like anything I suppose, IT CAN HAPPEN;-)
------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:30 pm
by Paul Vebber
No game can "get it right" they just try in dofferent ways to "give a feel for it".
I play Panzer Comander when I want one "feel", Combat Mission for another, and SPWaW for a third.
All require a "willing suspension of disbelief" that works better for different people in different situations and moods.
Choice is good
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 1:00 am
by Wild Bill
Despite its lack of infantry, for some good pure WW2 tank fighting from the turret, it is a classic in my mind. Simple, easy to understand, with nice 3D graphics, I've always loved the game...WB
==================
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 1:26 am
by Greg McCarty
Originally posted by Polrbear:
Looking for real tanker advice. "Which WW2 tanks types, given a veteran crew and unbuttoned status, are capable of pivoting 60% in 12 seconds and getting off a kill first shot after reversing 30 feet from an out of sight position in falling snow? What is the probability that an American Tank Destroyer achieves this result"?
Well, if any vehicle was capable of this sort of thing, given an experienced crew it was probably the (m18?) Hellcat. It was fast (55mph) on road, had a power driven turret, and was very low and agile. It had a decent high velocity 76mm gun. If any vehicle was capable of such a thing, it might be this one.
Greg.
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:23 am
by Bulldog61
Don't no about timing in ww2 tanks. I remember the triple threat scenario while in Germany 78-81. Your tank (in M60A1 Rise Passives at the time) started in turret defilaide you had 10 seconond to close (finish) the engagement on the tanks (T-62 shilouette) at 2000 meters. Time started when you fired the first round or the spocket stopped turning in the firing position. So, in reference to the initial question a well trained crew could probablty accomplish it. Lets not forget how much more your capable of when the adrenaline is flowing!
Mike
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:42 am
by Kluckenbill
I agree with Mike. I commanded M60A1s in 1976/77 with no electronic anything. We could regularly hit two targets at 2000+ meters in 10-12 seconds. However we had a few advantages over the old Hellcats, such as sabot with its very flat trajectory, a reasonably good stabilization system that kept the target in view, a coincidence range finder (although for the Hellcat out to 1000 meters or so that should'nt matter much.) Unlike the WW2 Hellcat I'm afraid we weren't an elite crew.
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 4:02 am
by Mike Oshiki
Ditto the above, plus the luck factor. Seems that the CVC mikes would always go out on Table VIII, the new driver would slam on the brakes too hard vs. the times that the loader hot seated a 105 round and your two shots were off before the dust settled from the first...
But as long as the heater was working, life was never TOO bad...
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 4:16 am
by Bulldog61
Not to mention the heater exhuast was great for heating the water in your canteen cup for instant coffee!
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:46 pm
by Mike Oshiki
Yes... diesel flavor, a classic from General Foods International Coffees, served in armored units at sites around the world from Graf 301 to the sands of the Middle East, making tankers smile (and stay awake) for years...
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:24 pm
by Kluckenbill
Working heaters? Wow, you guys had it good. Seriously, I was never able to get more than one or two working heater at a time for my five tanks (thank you Jimmy Carter.) During winter maneuvers at Wildflecken I used to rotate troops through the tanks with the working heaters so they could be warm for at least an hour or two per night. The troops were only partly joking in 1979 when they said the biggest improvement of the M60A3 over the M60A1 was that the heaters worked (since they were new.)
I've got to agree about the diesel smell. I've been a lowly civilian for 20 years now but it all comes back to me every time a bus drives bye.
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:34 pm
by Leibstandarte
Nothing better than a working heater. The funny thing about it is that will all the improvements in the tanks to date (last I was on was a SEP) it's still the same damn leaky heater! Only difference now is it has a "computer" controlled start. Wonder how much the Army paid for that?
------------------
Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.