Page 1 of 1

Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm
by Radagy
After invading Normandy I noticed that moving SHAEF by sea is impossible. Too big for WA transport capacity.
I wouldn't mind having Eisenhower walking in Paris, but I can't tranfer SU to lower HQs, because of the Channel, and that's a real issue.
Since nobody is complaining about it, I guess I missed something on the rulebook.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 pm
by MisterBoats
I had that problem with AFHQ in Africa. You might empty a corps HQ in France, send it back to England, load it with SHAEF's SU's. That worked for me. It might take a trip or two.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by marion61
Set SHAEF in one of the larger size 6 or better port, and eventually it will build up transport points at that port to be transported. Same goes for the Med.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 pm
by Radagy
Thanks.
Do you now how long it usually takes? I left SHAEF one month in Liverpool: not long enough.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 pm
by cmunson
Usually SHAEF can transfer support units to the army group HQ's. I moved SHAEF to France in my game. Click on the units in SHAEF and assign them from there.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 pm
by marion61
Chris' way is the fastest. If you have a lot of support units it could be awhile. Better to unload some of them and take it over in pieces so to speak.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:40 am
by Radagy
Chris, my Army Group HQ is already in France so I can't transfer SU between it and the SHAEF.
I will send my Army HQ back to England to take SU, but it's a really cumbersome routine since I can't take all SU at once (shipping limits, by the way).
Doing it with a Corps HQ would mean attaching SU to the Corps HQ in England, re-attaching them to Army Group in France and finally attaching them to the proper HQ. Quite a long way to get it done.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 pm
by cmunson
Radagy, that shouldn't matter. Here is a screen shot with SHAEF in England and 1st Army in France. 1st Army isn't even on a port or a repaired RR.

Image

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:54 pm
by cmunson
I open up SHAEF and select 35th Engineers for transfer. Note all the HQ's no matter where on the map you can transfer to.

Image

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:56 pm
by cmunson
Here it is now safely in France with 1st Army. If you still can't get it to work post some screenshots and we'll look at it.

Using this method you should be able to empty out SHAEF to get it to load in port.

Good luck.

Image

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:06 pm
by Radagy
As you can see from a screenshot of my game, if you select the unit you want attach a SU to, attachment won't work.
If I make it your way, choosing SU from SHAEF, it works.
Thanks for the useful advice.


RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 pm
by Radagy
I just tried. It doesn't work for me.
Check this screenshot.
I'm trying to attach a SU from SHAEF to Normandy and the list reports only HQs currently in England.
Any mistake from my part?

Image

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:51 pm
by cmunson
Someone with more knowledge of why that would be would need to look. You can transfer to AFHQ and 15th Army Group. It should let you transfer back to SHAEF after you hit the continent. Possibly not having any of your AG HQ's (6th, 12th, 21st) on the continent is a factor. It may be a chain of command thing.

RE: Moving SHAEF by sea

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:18 pm
by Radagy
I just moved 21st to Normandy. What I can do now is transferring SU from SHAEF to 21st.
This way it will take two turns for my SU to join my Corps, but it works.