Page 1 of 1
Seems very unrealistic to me
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:17 pm
by BigJoe417
I had some 30 unescorted Vals and Kates attack my TF and blow right by my cap of around 80 Wildcats! Happened twice. Now maybe my boys were tired since they previously shot down at least 100 zeros and 60 or so bombers in earlier attacks that turn. Thats all I can think of. I did notice a few "low on ammo" messages. But I think its very unrealistic. But hell, its a fun game anyways! Even if I lost the Hornet dammit!
So do I go to PM and lick my wounds or do I go after the IJN wounded carriers? Especially since I know they have very few working planes left!
I also noticed that even with sufficient esscorts my land based fighter bombers are near useless as they wont attack the IJN carrier TF at all!
Unrealistic?
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:36 pm
by entemedor
It doesn't sound unrealistic to me, it almost looks HISTORICAL. If your CAP has claimed some 160 planes that very turn, a further strike is more than able to find them out of ammo, out of fuel, out of height and out of wits.
If the CAP would magically regain strenght, fuel and altitude between strikes, SBDs would never have caught the IJN carriers unprotected at Midway after the Devastators massacre.
Enjoy the game! It's the best you will find in a loooong time (excuse me WitP!).
Cheers and Happy Xmas to everyone!
Entemedor
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:33 pm
by Feinder
BigJoe,
As your CAP endures attacks, they loose cohesion (rather like disruption to a ground unit). But not only are CAP pilots fighting lack of ammo, damaged aircraft, and fatique, by the 3rd attack they're not in the pretty V-formations and well ordered. They've been chasing planes all over within 10km radius. You've got wingmen that are separated, and guys that chased the Kates down to the deck, now trying to climb back up to altitude. Having mulitple attacks pummel a CAP screen is actually part of the stratagy. If you've got enough fighters, you can send in a squadron or two to sweep, that acts to start to break up the CAP. Then in comes your waves of bombers. As the attacks drone on, the enemy CAP becomes scattered, out of their zones, and communication begins to break down; hense more bombers from the later strikes are able to get thru. It is in fact, QUITE realistic (*smile*).
Happy Christmas Eve! I suppose some of you Aussies are already opening presents by now!
-F-
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:17 pm
by TIMJOT
It doesnt sound unrealistic to me. You shoot down 160 planes in successive attacks. You CAP gets fatiqued, low ammo, low fuel, disrupted, out of position. Its not too surprising that the follow up attack got through. Just look at Midway for example; The CAP thwarted successive LBA attacks and destroyed 3 torp squadrons, yet when the DB's appeared the CAP was totally disrupted and out of position and unable to intercept.
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:36 am
by BigJoe417
Oh Okay. hehehe you guys are all right!
Just damm upsetting is all. I guess I should count my blessings I only lost the hornet out of my 3 carriers TF. Seems like the flak guys shot down a ton of japanese planes! I wonder if they shoot down more as they get more experienced. Heck that attack must of built up everyones experience levels! I must have 50 aces by now!
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:03 am
by Fred98
Yes its Christmas morning here!
Bright and sunny!