Page 1 of 1

OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 am
by Michael Vail
Old Navy silent film from 1915.....



Now this is the old Navy ! It is good, and for 1915 nitrate film, the image quality is GREAT.




http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserv ... ntary-1915




RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:34 pm
by witpqs
Cool film!

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:57 pm
by crsutton
Nice film. Interesting to see that some of the basic tools had not changed over the years. I was still using a fid and sailmaker's palm in 1982 when I was on merchant ships. And, they still are the same today.

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:07 am
by zuluhour
That was fun. Love the physical training, but where does that dog pinch his cigars?

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:37 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: crsutton

Nice film. Interesting to see that some of the basic tools had not changed over the years. I was still using a fid and sailmaker's palm in 1982 when I was on merchant ships. And, they still are the same today.

"Fid" is a great crossword word.

My dad had a palm he had used as a deck seaman in the early 1950s. Also a small bundle of canvas needles. The palm was sweat-stained and beat up, the metal impact area full of tiny craters. It always made me wonder as a boy about my dad's life before he knew I was in his future.

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 am
by Michael Vail
Those craters are intended to be there. They keep the needle from slipping and impaling your palm as you push it through the canvas. I still splice line for my friends..

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:19 am
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Michael Vail

Those craters are intended to be there. They keep the needle from slipping and impaling your palm as you push it through the canvas. I still splice line for my friends..

No, not the BB-sized ones. These were smaller, the size of the needles. I will say the palm was an example of a device that had no need of evolutionary design. It was perfect as it was. Probably unchanged for centuries.

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:10 am
by crsutton
Actually, the old palm I have is cratered with a honeycomb pattern. But I think is was designed that way.

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:00 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: crsutton

Actually, the old palm I have is cratered with a honeycomb pattern. But I think is was designed that way.

His had BB-sized scoops; hemispheres taken out. (Semi-spheres?) I don't remember a grid. But evenly spaced.

RE: OT - 1915 US Navy film

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:37 pm
by Anthropoid
Holy crap, $970 per shell!? Based on my OOTP 1902 baseball players making anywhere from $500 to $2500 per year, I'm guessing that this is a sign the U.S. governments reputation for boondoggles is as old as the hills.