Page 1 of 1

My carrier air crew wont attack...

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:25 am
by Fallschirmjager
Im sure im doing something wrong....but I want you feedback on what it may be.


I played the "4 weeks of Hell scenario" and I sailed my 2 CV's up to Lunga to knock out some of the Jap shipping.

Well....They sailed up there just fine and waited in the hex I told them too.
I had an agressive commander and told them to not retire.
Well they and several land based units spoted multiple Jap TF's well withing the Carriers range.

The Carriers had full fighter stocks set on CAP and Escort.

Well....3 turns go by and my CV's send up no sorties outside of small 4-5 SBD bombing runs that get slauhgtered my fighters and flak....
Turn 4 the Japs find me and send 100= bombers and plaster both my Carriers...
I lose the Wasp the same day and the Enterprise the same day...

I dont know what happened...

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:03 am
by Nikademus
check your naval search settings of both your carrier bombers as well as your float planes. I once forgot that i'd set my float planes to ASW initially as i sailed through waters well outside of bomber range but known to be an I-boat hangout and only had a minimal SBD nav search setting on.

Got plastered in much the same way you described. Also, if your CAP setting is very high, it might reduce the chance for larger airstrikes being launched due to insufficient escorts. Bombers tend to hestitate flying into contested airspace unless adequately protected

I once over loaded.....

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:35 am
by Karrick
my two carriers with planes....not realizing my mistake..I sailed into harms way...the allied CV task force made short work of me...
when I transfered the air groups to my carriers they were under strength...but with replacements ..my 2 carriers became over laoded and would not launch planes...C'est La Guerrre!

Karrick

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:36 am
by Fallschirmjager
My Cap is 60 and Naval search is 20...Im assuming that is too low...I had no idea...oh well live and learn...Im going to start this one over.



They wernt over loaded...The AI built my TF for me (is it good to let it do that? It seems to do a good job...)

CV airstrikes

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:07 am
by tanjman
Fallschirmjager,

Sound like you CAP & search setting are good. Who is your TF Commander, I see were you said he was aggressive but is he suitable for an Air Combat TF? That may be part of the problem. The rest may lie with the fatigue & morale of your air groups.

BTW setting up a Catalina base with some supplies and an AV at Irau (located south east of Lunga) might help with naval search.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:13 am
by Fallschirmjager
Those settings are good?

****....back to square one...


I dont remember the name because he died (:o ) but he was agressive and was best suited to leading a carrier group.

Also I dont think finding the ships was a problem.

I wanted my CV's to attack their CV's and I had the enemy TF's well spotted.
They knew the ship classes in all of the TF's and in some cases they had the names of the ships.

Well the good news is....

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:49 am
by tanjman
.... that its a short scenario so that you can try try agian until you get the hang of it ;) and as a bonus its so much FUN :D

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:09 am
by Cap Mandrake
Fallschirmjager;


Virtually the EXACT thing happened to me in a PBEM "4 wks of hell scenario". My 2 CV group with the most aggressive commander available laid off about 8 hexes from Lunga to the NW and absorbed wave after wave of attacks from the US Carriers without launching an attack. I think I had CAP at about 60, but I think my mistake was in not setting some of the Vals to search. I thought the DOZENS of search planes from 5 BB';s and 10+ CA's and land based search from Shortland would be adequate. In fact, the US CV's were spotted early in the combat resolution. In any event the outcome was not good, a CVL severely damaged and a CV with 50% flotation damage (later sunk trying to get to truk).


I feel your pain bro.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:20 am
by Fallschirmjager
Mine never got to move one hex...Wasp was hit 31 times and the other (forgot the name) was hit 22 times with 4 torps.