Page 1 of 1

UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 pm
by geofflambert
If you ask me, this is for the Byrds! [:D]

Image

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm
by Jorge_Stanbury
they had a serious valve fetish

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 pm
by Zorch
Imagine the user's manual.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:34 pm
by Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Zorch

Imagine the user's manual.
None needed. It is intuitive.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:38 pm
by Jorge_Stanbury
They just trained an octopus

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 pm
by Malagant
What gets me is the lack of valve tags or labels. Even with a manual, how are they supposed to no which valve is HV-101?

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:10 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Malagant

What gets me is the lack of valve tags or labels. Even with a manual, how are they supposed to no which valve is HV-101?


Your post is most instructive. I would not know which valve to rotate or in what direction. I would no which valve is HV-101. None of them.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:25 am
by geofflambert
I expect few of you have heard of the movie "Brazil", fewer still have seen it, but I think even Franz Kafka might fall into a coma if he had seen that control room (on UB-110). When those sailors slept, do you think they dreamed of wheels in the sky? Ask Ezekiel.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:03 am
by Chris21wen
I wonder which is the main steam stop valve[&:]

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 am
by ndworl
I was reminded of an even older file, Metropolis.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm
by rockmedic109
Which valve flushes the head? Is it right next to the main ballast tank?

RE: UB-110

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:23 pm
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Which valve flushes the head? Is it right next to the main ballast tank?

No, I think that one's the seawater inlet valve...pretty much the equivalent of a giant red button. [;)]

RE: UB-110

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:24 pm
by wolfclan
I'll also bet there was some pretty colorful language coming from the pipefitters when they first saw the plans during construction.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:06 am
by drw61
I'm not at all sure there were any plans.
ORIGINAL: wolfclan

I'll also bet there was some pretty colorful language coming from the pipefitters when they first saw the plans during construction.

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 am
by navysim
And here is the U-boote crew that turns the valve that flushes your head while sitting on the main ballast tank.


Image

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:35 am
by KenchiSulla
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

If you ask me, this is for the Byrds! [:D]

Image

These days operators expect valves to be tagged and named in the local language, the P&ID in front of them and a partslist and user manual to boot..... From a user friendly HMI they push start and all the valves are actuated and move into position automagically....

This was the way real (wo)men managed things... While being depthcharged and yelled at....

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:22 am
by BattleMoose
ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder


These days operators expect valves to be tagged and named in the local language, the P&ID in front of them and a partslist and user manual to boot..... From a user friendly HMI they push start and all the valves are actuated and move into position automagically....

This was the way real (wo)men managed things... While being depthcharged and yelled at....

And sometimes in the dark...

RE: UB-110

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:55 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: navysim

And here is the U-boote crew that turns the valve that flushes your head while sitting on the main ballast tank.


Image

You're not referring to the head are you? That's how I typically sit.