Page 1 of 1

wine + spwaw?

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 10:11 pm
by art
So, I can get spwaw to run under wine, though I had to install under windows first. Everything seems to work fine, except sound doesn't work once you select 'Play World at War' from the autorun thingy; I guess that's a small price to pay for avoiding ms-windows.

Has anyone else tried this?
-art-

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 10:20 pm
by Fuerte
I guess that's a small price to pay for avoiding ms-windows.
What a pervert! Image

Seriously though, how does it work? Is there any performance penalty? What sound card do you have? How much memory does Wine take?

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:01 pm
by art
Originally posted by Fuerte:
What a pervert! Image

Seriously though, how does it work? Is there any performance penalty? What sound card do you have? How much memory does Wine take?
It works quite well, really (except for sound). Graphics are fairly snappy (I haven't really played much under windows, so I can't compare). I was worried about animations (I figured that strafing runs would take forever), but it's perfectly playable and looks fine. I played the intro scenario and didn't see a single graphics glitch.

Resident memory size is around 32MBs, a little bit excessive, but not serious.

I'm not sure about the sound problem (I have an SB32AWE); the autorun program plays sounds fine. My guess is that it's a resource sharing problem (autorun.exe opens the sound device, and then doesn't relinquish it - just a guess though).

The only other thing that doesn't work is that I can't run spwaw on my linux box at home, and display it on my Sun at work (not, of course, that I'd actually play games at work)... Image

Thanks to Matrix and everyone involved for such a great game.

-art-


Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:42 pm
by Ilja Varha
I usually lose when I play SPWAW on wine... I don't know why, but my concentration is gone. Maybe less wine and more tactics?

Ilja

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:08 am
by troopie
Never played a wargame on wine. I find coffee, tea (for AOR), or beer goes best with combat.

troopie

------------------
Pamwe Chete

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 10:18 am
by Reg
Originally posted by art:
So, I can get spwaw to run under wine, though I had to install under windows first. Everything seems to work fine, except sound doesn't work once you select 'Play World at War' from the autorun thingy; I guess that's a small price to pay for avoiding ms-windows.

Has anyone else tried this?
-art-
Unless I am greatly mistaken (which I often am...), Wine does not support DirectX which is what SPWaW uses to achieve its superb sound.

Sorry but until they update Wine, you will have a very quiet game.

BTW, knowing how MS protect their proprietary formats, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Reg.


[This message has been edited by Reg (edited October 04, 2000).]

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 8:34 pm
by art
Originally posted by Reg:
Unless I am greatly mistaken (which I often am...), Wine does not support DirectX which is what SPWaW uses to achieve its superb sound.

Sorry but until they update Wine, you will have a very quiet game.

Reg.
Strangely, sound magically started working. Actually, it wasn't so magical: I killed the autorun window after starting spwaw proper, and sound worked.

Also, just for the sake of truth in reporting, resident memory size is quite a bit more than 32Ms for the larger scenarios, probably by a factor of two. Still perfectly playable though.
-art-

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 8:52 pm
by Fuerte
Wine + SPWAW = 2 * 32 MB?

Amazing that it works, sound and all. Congrats! Image