Page 1 of 1

"Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:05 am
by Arturo28
Hi guys,

Sorry if answered before.

What does "optimized" column stands for in the Design window?. In my case is always "No", and never seen with other value.

Thanks
Arturo

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:15 am
by Bingeling
Well, I don't know, and you won't really have not know either ;-)

It could be a column that shows if the AI has removed component from a design to fit under the build limit. The AI designs have fixed layouts, and it may drop some weapons and shields to make them buildable.

I have not ever noticed this column, though...

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:18 am
by Arturo28
Thank you for your answer.

But it seems designs are never "optimized"... [;)]

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:16 am
by fruitgnome
It's a left-over from the past like intelligence agent recruiting.

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:48 pm
by RemoteLeg
I also have never seen an "optimized" design in my design list.

The patch notes say that "optimized designs" is a feature that allows usage of pre-made custom ship and base designs loaded per race from folders at game start-up. These new designs are stored in a subfolder under main game folder, which contains subfolders for each race containing saved design files.
I found ship templates for each race here:
"..\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\designTemplates\"
Fairly obviously, I'm using Steam so your setup may vary.

These designs are loaded for each race at game startup and are used by the AI as optimized ship designs for each empire. They are used whenever an empire has all the required tech and is within current construction size limits. These optimized designs are always preferred by the AI over all other designs, unless made obsolete.

I think you will see them more often if you let the AI design your ships, but I can't confirm this because I always take total control of my ship designs.

Can anybody confirm this?

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:19 pm
by Bingeling
The AI always uses those design, and swaps in the "best" pieces available. If a bit short on build size, it drops weapons and shields to get under the limit.

Reactors are always calculated to have enough power.

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 pm
by Lyoncet
Nice to know that's a vestigial element. I was thinking the UI was criticizing my design. :p

RE: "Optimized" column in Design window

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 am
by Shark7
Yes, the design templates will over-ride the old optimized designs in Universe. So you don't really need to worry about them.