Page 1 of 2

Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:35 am
by AndyDuke
Following a somewhat fruitless and in hindsight, stupid, attempted bombardment of Wake Island in February 1942.
Colorado and Warspite were badly mauled by the Japanese land based aircraft. Colorado initially suffered 91%
floatation damage and over 50% systems damage.

But...

After 3 weeks and in company with the repair vessels Vestal and Medusa, both ships limped to Johnson Island for
temporary repairs. At one point Colorado could only manage 1 knot with 95% floatation damage.

One, point, do the repair vessels provide any help while the task force is underway or was this just me trying
to provide a bit of historical drama.

So does anyone else have an epic tale to beat Colorado's

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 am
by Alfred
No underway repair assistance is provided by tenders.
 
Alfred

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:15 am
by crsutton
One of the amazing aspects of the game is how invested I can get in nursing a crippled ship home while there is a war raging about all over the Pacific. Even a lowly crippled sub will be the first thing I look at when I open the file.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 pm
by John 3rd
I just had a Japanese CA get plastered around Suva and take 88% flotation as I set course for Luganville. The flotation rose to--get this--99% and STAYED there. It took 12 days to get to Port but she made it and is now pumping out. Let's hear it for Japanese Damage Control!

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm
by Lecivius
ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Let's hear it for Japanese Damage Control!


<crickets>

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:30 pm
by pontiouspilot
If you send an AR to Johnson it should help with the temporary repairs.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:41 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: AndyDuke

Following a somewhat fruitless and in hindsight, stupid, attempted bombardment of Wake Island in February 1942.
Colorado and Warspite were badly mauled by the Japanese land based aircraft. Colorado initially suffered 91%
floatation damage and over 50% systems damage.

But...

After 3 weeks and in company with the repair vessels Vestal and Medusa, both ships limped to Johnson Island for
temporary repairs. At one point Colorado could only manage 1 knot with 95% floatation damage.

One, point, do the repair vessels provide any help while the task force is underway or was this just me trying
to provide a bit of historical drama.

So does anyone else have an epic tale to beat Colorado's
warspite1

Good stuff! It looks like Gary Grigsby has finally amended the code to make the game more realistic vis-a-vis the Grand Old Lady - no way could she be sunk. Having said that I must say the USS Colorado surviving such an ordeal sounds more than a tad juvenile..... more work required on the game eh Mr G?

tm.asp?m=3581782&mpage=1&key=warspite

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:12 pm
by AndyDuke
I have 2 ARs at Johnson already, plenty of supplies and some LBA just in case the Japanese come calling. Hopefully the temporary repairs can be conducted quickly and I can move both BBs back to the States via Pearl in a month or two.

Must admit I would have been more upset if I had lost Warspite, I always had a soft spot for her when I was younger but she will at least live to fight another day.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:45 pm
by geofflambert
Is Grigsby still involved? Was he behind the Admiral's Edition? Have you seen the Wiki? It's pathetic. It calls it a video game. [&:] I'd do some fixes if I knew what the important ones are. There's a lot of fellas here who know stuff that should be in there. I'll happily do the grunt work. JWE are you listening?

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:02 pm
by wdolson
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Is Grigsby still involved? Was he behind the Admiral's Edition? Have you seen the Wiki? It's pathetic. It calls it a video game. [&:] I'd do some fixes if I knew what the important ones are. There's a lot of fellas here who know stuff that should be in there. I'll happily do the grunt work. JWE are you listening?

I don't think Gary Grigsby has touched the code for the WitP family since about 2004.

I once had an epic with the Colorado too. The Japanese AI was sending bombardment TFs to Port Morseby, so I parked the Colorado with a few cruisers and DDs there and waited. A bombardment force of only a couple of IJN cruisers with escorts came in. The IJN ships got mauled, but the Colorado barely survived. It was in port at PM for a couple of months until I felt she was safe to sail. I moved her with an AR from port to port back to PH. The AR was there to repair damages at each port along the way. She needed pumping out after every hop. The last stretch between Pago Pago was almost the end of her. Flooding got dangerously high just as she made Johnston. Once she made it to PH, she was in the yards for over a year.

Bill

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:29 am
by geofflambert
Good. Anyways are there any knowledgeable people who would like to help fix the Wiki? Some major issues could certainly be done easily. I don't want to mess with it alone 'cause I don't know enough. I don't want to post anything there that I'm not (or nearly not) certain about. Just give me the minimum about what needs fixing. As you know I know enough to take it from there (I think). I really don't want to edit the Wiki to say what I think, I want to do it for the community. Just restrain yourselves if you're not at least 90% sure your view is valid.

The Wiki doesn't even mention Gary Grigsby. This game is worth a little effort isn't it. Help me.

The developmental history should be covered, but also the mods and the apps like Tracker. Let's use this thread to accomplish that. If I do anything wrong and you bring it up I'll fix it. Just give me something to do. It's a wonderful game and we should, all of us, be proud that we figured that out.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:43 am
by wdolson
If you're willing to update the wiki, you could start a thread here called wiki update or something like that. If you come across something you're not sure about, put it in the thread and take the best answer. If we're lucky it might inspire some other people to help you, but at minimum it would get the wiki updated.

Bill

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 am
by geofflambert
Will do. Once I figure out how to present the problem.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:21 am
by stretch
DD Pope just escaped Manila after sitting in shipyard until Jan 5. I ran it full speed towards Jesselton, with Miri already in Japanese hands, because baby KB was messing around Makassar Strait. First attempt it ran into a bunch of AKs and APs with no escort, sank two and took 20 system damage, and bailed out back to the east. I changed routing threat tolerance to absolute and tried again and the next time it escaped to Palembang. Small victories like that really bring me joy.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:27 pm
by rustysi
ORIGINAL: stretch

DD Pope just escaped Manila after sitting in shipyard until Jan 5. I ran it full speed towards Jesselton, with Miri already in Japanese hands, because baby KB was messing around Makassar Strait. First attempt it ran into a bunch of AKs and APs with no escort, sank two and took 20 system damage, and bailed out back to the east. I changed routing threat tolerance to absolute and tried again and the next time it escaped to Palembang. Small victories like that really bring me joy.

Easily amused are we?[:D]

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 pm
by spence
It was a Scenario 1 (I think) Rising Sun PBEM in WitP vanilla but PT32 slowly fought its way all the way back to Port Darwin fighting numerous battles along the way. During the course of that fighting retreat she put torpedoes into 2 IJN DDs and 3 AK/APs at Davao and Ambon. With no way to replenish torpedoes she finally had to seek the dubious shelter of northern Australia. I think the KB finally finished her off since she couldn't run any further.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:06 pm
by stretch
ORIGINAL: rustysi


Easily amused are we?[:D]

Yup! Hey look a squirrel...

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 am
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I just had a Japanese CA get plastered around Suva and take 88% flotation as I set course for Luganville. The flotation rose to--get this--99% and STAYED there. It took 12 days to get to Port but she made it and is now pumping out. Let's hear it for Japanese Damage Control!

I've had a few of them for both sides only for some to sink when they got to a safe haven. Life's a bitch.

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:24 pm
by rustysi
ORIGINAL: stretch
ORIGINAL: rustysi


Easily amused are we?[:D]

Yup! Hey look a squirrel...

Me too!![:D]

RE: Epic Journey

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 am
by tigercub
lol!