Page 1 of 2
Questions
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:46 pm
by Bombur
1-Is this possible to set, in the editor, the number of cities in a random game?
2-How do I change the VP value for a city or location in random games?
3-is this possible to have more variety of cities in a random game?
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 am
by ernieschwitz
regarding 3:
I saw in the rulevars that there are some city types that can be set to location numbers. Currently they are all set to 0, meaning city, i believe. But they could be set at individual settings i think for different sized cities.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:53 am
by Vic
ORIGINAL: Bombur
1-Is this possible to set, in the editor, the number of cities in a random game?
2-How do I change the VP value for a city or location in random games?
3-is this possible to have more variety of cities in a random game?
What you might want to consider is a final scripting based randomization on game start.
Scripting would be able to adress all 3 points.
Best wishes,
Vic
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:36 pm
by davebob
It is pretty easy to edit random maps prior to start. It was my first attempt using the editor.move, add, subtract all terrain as I please. Course, I'm sure you want to change the random map generator parameters, however, for those newbs like me, editing the maps at start is simple, and tripled my enjoyment of the game.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:50 pm
by Twotribes
The VP value can be changed individually by city in the editor after game is made. I assume in the set up file for the master file it can be set also same with city sizes be aware that you won't be able to control what size city goes where so one side might end up with all the large cities or all the small cities.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:54 pm
by ernieschwitz
I think what Bombur is after is something that would go well in hand with his bombur mod. That is something that assigns VPs according to city sizes presumably, without editing, but done automatically.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:42 pm
by Twotribes
There are 3 settings for city size, well maybe 4 cant remember. Don't recall any thing connected to city size that set VP value but it would be in the master file if it were there. If you could set VP to city size that MIGHT control how many of what kind of cities each side got at start.
I set more then one city size once and ended up with opponents with more and less vp then me at star though.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 pm
by henri51
As Bombur probably knows, it is possible to modify cities in the Editor after the game is set up but before one starts to play. I did change a city to a town "accidentally" in my last game while playing around with the editor.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:22 pm
by Bombur
True, it´s possible to edit a map, but I would like to see if it could be done in the map generation process without need of further edition.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:44 pm
by Twotribes
I did not see a means to tell the game what VPs to give to cities so I am thinking it is hard wired? 4 for capitol 1 for all others. That means when you assign the other 3 city sizes you may end up with opponents with smaller cities and some with larger but the same VP values. I just did that and will test it out.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:52 pm
by Twotribes
A quick check just going around the map, it looked like there is a mechanic to assign the same number of the different types of cities to each regime. However the 4th type of city did not appear at all , all I had were the first 3 and the Capitol. The 1st type is more numerous then the 2nd type and I believe the 3rd type was less numerous then the 2nd.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:31 pm
by ernieschwitz
Nice of you to test the stuff Twotribes

I am learning, which I like.
RE: Questions
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:01 pm
by Tac2i
In a standard ATG random game a capital is worth 4 points and all others cities 1 point. In Bombur's mod the capital is worth only 1 point. Not sure why that is.
RE: Questions
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 pm
by Bombur
-I didn´t make any intentional change to VP of cities. Of course, it would be very easy to edit these values. However, my intention would be to see if we could create scenarios with more or less Urban density. With the parameters set in the map creator and my own map scale, we see that the countries have very sparse cities.
-Two Tribes: I always saw only two types of cities in random maps, the capitol and the cities.
RE: Questions
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:13 pm
by Twotribes
That's because a long while back Vic changed the master file to only 2 cities. In the master file you can set up to 4 cities but only 3 will show up besides your capitol. Right now in the master file all 4 extra cities are set to just be a city.
RE: Questions
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 am
by Tac2i
Please explain how you do this. Thanks...
ORIGINAL: Twotribes
A quick check just going around the map, it looked like there is a mechanic to assign the same number of the different types of cities to each regime. However the 4th type of city did not appear at all , all I had were the first 3 and the Capitol. The 1st type is more numerous then the 2nd type and I believe the 3rd type was less numerous then the 2nd.
RE: Questions
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:42 pm
by Twotribes
To add different sized cities before making a scenario go to the master file and go to scen settings in that go to rule vars. Once there rule 410 is the capitol size and 413 through 416 are the other 4 cities size. Like i said I could not get the 416 setting to fire. Most cities will be 413 a few will be 414 and less will be 415. Depending on the size of the map and how many cities are there. It appeared when I checked that it DOES regulate per regime so no one gets shafted on city size. Be further aware that if you add or change city sizes the production will be blank till set in the new cities. That is setable in master file too cant remember where though maybe in the same place?
RE: Questions
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:41 pm
by Bombur
Thank you, Two Tribes, it worked well, now I have 4 sizes of cities. Next step is how to give them different number of victory points, because, in my mod, it´s related to manpower. Now, we have 4 points for capital and 1 point for every other city. My idea is to have 4 points for capital, 3 points for major city, 2 points for city and 1 point for minor city.
RE: Questions
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 pm
by ernieschwitz
Surely you can make an event that runs round 1 only (BlockEvent at the end of it), and gives Different LocTypes different VPs? At least that is what I would do.
RE: Questions
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:04 pm
by Bombur
It worked very well, ernie, thank you. Now we have more kinds of cities and more realistic demography and armies size.