Page 1 of 1
Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:32 pm
by Admiral DadMan
I'm wondering if either I'm not doing this right or Bombardment TFs are malfunctioning.
As it used to be, if the TF had movement of 9/4 and was set to Retirement Allowed, it would line up at its max (9 hexes), high-speed run in, bombard at night, then high-speed run out.
Do I have this right?
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:58 pm
by crsutton
Yes, under ideal conditions, this is what should happen. But at a max run distance things can happen that will delay or slow up the TF, such as surface combat, or just harassment by multiple PT TFs. Running over a mine will slow them down as well. This will cause the bombardment Tf to either expend OP in combat or in the case of damage slow it down. If your TF burns up enough OP points then it may find itself delayed near the target and subject to air attack. But normally, set the force at "mission" speed, make sure they have not already used up OP points (refueling) and set them to bombard any target within 9 hexes. They should then run in and out at full speed and be well away from the target by daylight.
I will say that there are times that my bombardment force has not run out it full length and for no apparent reason that I can determine. This might happen one out of ten times. Could just be a factor of randomness factored into the game. Dunno for sure.
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:01 pm
by rustysi
AFAIK, but that's not saying much. I'm not having problems getting Bombardment TF's to work. Maybe some more info might be useful.
Rusty
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:13 pm
by Admiral DadMan
It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:52 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan
It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.
Were there any reefs?
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:57 pm
by pelthunter
Air threat or multiple task forces in target hex, or at almost max move range can postpone the move.
Change TF move setting, threat tolerance to "absolute" or what the max was and route to direct.
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:10 pm
by Admiral DadMan
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan
It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.
Were there any reefs?
There might have been, but the TF routed around it. Oh well, I'll keep testing it.
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:15 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan
It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.
Were there any reefs?
There might have been, but the TF routed around it. Oh well, I'll keep testing it.
Depending on the target the hex count to the base may be fine but it may take two or three extra hexes to get in and out. Look at Port Blair for instance.
RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:18 pm
by Admiral DadMan
Funny you mention that spot. It went right around the reefs, but then stalled on the way out.