Page 1 of 1
Sub vs Sub
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:08 am
by Drex
Has anyone ever had sub vs sub battles? In an evacuation by sub operation where the opponent inserts a sub into the port to interdict shipping(he is unaware - I think- of the evacuation) will the transporting sub attack the enemy's sub or vice-versa?
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:21 am
by U2
Hi
I have never seen that. Though I read a book about the Japanese sub force during WW2 and several were sunk by USN subs. So it should be possible but it might not be in the UV engine. I'll post a sub vs sub suggestion on the private WITP forum and lets see what happens (not a promise that it will make it into the game).
Cheers
Dan
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:36 am
by Drex
i know that in modern sub warfare, the hunter-killer sub is an important part of sub doctrine but I didn't knowif it occurred in WWII. There coulod certainly be surface battles but you can't form a SF with subs. I have a chance to nail an opponents sub but I don't know if its possible with either an UW or surface attack.
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:05 am
by pad152
sub vs. sub
Never seen it in UV.
It was in Gary's Med War game, so they'll have to add it sooner or later.
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:19 pm
by Von_Frag
Originally posted by U2
Hi
I have never seen that. Though I read a book about the Japanese sub force during WW2 and several were sunk by USN subs. So it should be possible but it might not be in the UV engine. I'll post a sub vs sub suggestion on the private WITP forum and lets see what happens (not a promise that it will make it into the game).
Cheers
Dan
Read Batfish. Written by a crew member. She sank 3 or 4 subs around PI IIR.
Von Frag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:20 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Von_Frag
Read Batfish. Written by a crew member. She sank 3 or 4 subs around PI IIR.
Von Frag
Thanks for the tip. I presume I can find it at Amazon.com?
Cheers
Dan
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:33 pm
by Howard Mitchell
'Batfish' by Hughston E. Lowder with Jack Scott, ISBN 0-7221-564-9 for my 1980 paperback edition.
A very good read. She sank 3 IJN submarines in 3 days!
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:53 pm
by Feinder
Also, O'Kanes book "Clear the bridge!" talks about an ecounter where they spotted a Japanese sub on the surface and sank it. After they killed the enemy sub (no survivors observed, the whole thing just blew up and was gone), it got real quiet on the bridge, as it occurred to everyone that, that could just have easily been them. O'Kane was the XO for "Mush" Morton, and was later given command of his own sub.
Sub vs. Sub didn't happen very often, and certainly not to the "Red October" style like we have today. Subs were killed by other subs when they were on the surface. I don't think it would even be possible to kill another submerged sub, with a sub (well, anything is possible, but you take my meaning). Torps were set to run at about 10' under the water. You might have been able to fiddle with this to some extent, but you certainly couldn't set it to run at 80'. Also, tracking another sub while submerged may have been possible, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to resolve an accurate bearing, much less formulate a firing solution including depth.
-F-
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:51 am
by Drex
But could UV simulate an encounter where a sub caught his opponent loading or unloading troops/supply and attacked because they would of course be surfaced.