A Question on Game Mechanics; Aircraft Performance V/S Altitude
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:09 am
Hello All.
Something I remembered today, I wish I'd thought of it months ago. It's why Aircraft try to fly as high as practicable.
Air Density.
Most people realise it drops off rapidly with altitude.
Many peolpe also know that Piston Engine performance also falls off rapidly with Altitude, becaus of lack of air for the engine to breathe.
Whay I remembered today was another phenomena associated with aircraft performance.
Groundspeed.
When an Aircraft climbs higer, it's Airspeed stays the same, because the ratio of Thrust/Drag dosn't change with decreasing air Density.
What does happen though is that the aircraft actually moves faster relative to the ground, because as the Air density decreases, the aircraft must travel faster in order to pass thorugh the same quantity of air in a given timeframe.
What this means in game terms is, the Higher you set your crusing altitude, the further and faster you can go.
Now I'm sure that this effect isn't modeled in UV or WitP, Because if it was, then a B-17 should be able to Bomb Rabaul from Townsville if set for a cruising altitude of 17'000 ft+.
As a quick guide,
A Cruising Altidude of ~10,000 ft should net a ~10% increase in range.
A Cruising Altitude of ~15,000 ft should net a ~15% increase in range.
A Cruising Altitude of ~20,000 ft should net a ~20% increase in Range.
A Cruising altitude of ~25,000 ft should net a ~25% increase in range.
If this was implemented in UV and WitP, it would give a nice contrast to setting bomber altitude to the default 1000 ft.
(Well , I always set all my veteran level bomber aircraft to 1000 ft, as it give the best combat results.)
Something I remembered today, I wish I'd thought of it months ago. It's why Aircraft try to fly as high as practicable.
Air Density.
Most people realise it drops off rapidly with altitude.
Many peolpe also know that Piston Engine performance also falls off rapidly with Altitude, becaus of lack of air for the engine to breathe.
Whay I remembered today was another phenomena associated with aircraft performance.
Groundspeed.
When an Aircraft climbs higer, it's Airspeed stays the same, because the ratio of Thrust/Drag dosn't change with decreasing air Density.
What does happen though is that the aircraft actually moves faster relative to the ground, because as the Air density decreases, the aircraft must travel faster in order to pass thorugh the same quantity of air in a given timeframe.
What this means in game terms is, the Higher you set your crusing altitude, the further and faster you can go.
Now I'm sure that this effect isn't modeled in UV or WitP, Because if it was, then a B-17 should be able to Bomb Rabaul from Townsville if set for a cruising altitude of 17'000 ft+.
As a quick guide,
A Cruising Altidude of ~10,000 ft should net a ~10% increase in range.
A Cruising Altitude of ~15,000 ft should net a ~15% increase in range.
A Cruising Altitude of ~20,000 ft should net a ~20% increase in Range.
A Cruising altitude of ~25,000 ft should net a ~25% increase in range.
If this was implemented in UV and WitP, it would give a nice contrast to setting bomber altitude to the default 1000 ft.
(Well , I always set all my veteran level bomber aircraft to 1000 ft, as it give the best combat results.)