Page 1 of 2

OT: DivePac88

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:04 pm
by Chickenboy
Another forumite created a thread about a member that hasn't been around in awhile. Got me thinking about DivePac88.

His real name was Des and he was a good man, with a good wit, an artistic bent and a kind word for others. He was one of my PBEM partners and I enjoyed chatting with him about the game and life in general.

His son was in the New Zealand Army and his father was very proud of his son's accomplishments, like every father should be. His wife was an artisan baker. Des teased us from afar with some pictures of her scrumptious pastries and cakes.

Des created my avatar and my signature picture back in the day, for the asking.

I called him my friend and I miss him.

Des died about two years ago. I was privileged to know him and glad that he shared his uniqueness with us all.

Cheers to you, Des. We miss ya', you saucy Kiwi!


RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:09 pm
by Big B
Passed away 2 years ago... sad how that goes - the "few" ever get 'fewer'

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 pm
by nashvillen
To Des.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:13 pm
by CaptBeefheart
May he rest in peace. He was a great contributor to this forum.

Cheers,
CC

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:46 pm
by PaxMondo
Desmond Wallace ...



Image

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 am
by JeffroK
In the background is the town of Wanaka & Lake Wanaka, a beautiful place.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:20 am
by Shark7
In memory of Des, a good man.

As with Chickenboy, Des was kind enough to design my forum avatar as well. He gave a lot to this community and is missed.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:43 am
by JocMeister
Always polite and friendly. A very likable person. A good man indeed.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:45 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Another forumite created a thread about a member that hasn't been around in awhile. Got me thinking about DivePac88.

His real name was Des and he was a good man, with a good wit, an artistic bent and a kind word for others. He was one of my PBEM partners and I enjoyed chatting with him about the game and life in general.

His son was in the New Zealand Army and his father was very proud of his son's accomplishments, like every father should be. His wife was an artisan baker. Des teased us from afar with some pictures of her scrumptious pastries and cakes.

Des created my avatar and my signature picture back in the day, for the asking.

I called him my friend and I miss him.

Des died about two years ago. I was privileged to know him and glad that he shared his uniqueness with us all.

Cheers to you, Des. We miss ya', you saucy Kiwi!

I often remember Des... RIP [:(]


Leo "Apollo11"


P.S.
I also remember when we thought that he first died but he wasn't... I was so glad that it wasn't true... but the damn illness finally took him...

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 am
by PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

P.S.
I also remember when we thought that he first died but he wasn't... I was so glad that it wasn't true... but the damn illness finally took him...
Knowing what he was fighting and knowing that the ultimate outcome was not far away, I remember thinking how fitting it was for him to have been able to read what we all thought of him. Doesn't happen that often, and most of us wouldn't be able to handle the honest assessment of our peers. In Des' case though, he got to see his goodness reflected in our thoughts of him. A well deserved blessing if ever there was one for a man who fought the 'good fight' for a long time.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:38 am
by SuluSea
The world would be a better place with more Dive Pacs in it. Although I didn't know him personally I miss him.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:44 pm
by warspite1
Des was one of the Good Guys. Top bloke.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 pm
by Canoerebel
I didn't know DivePac well, but it was obvious that he was a gentleman.

There was a fun thread about four years ago that "sucked in" many people, including DivePac, Nemo121, Chickenboy, and others who were then regulars. It's startling to see just how many have disappeared from the community (Bradfordkay, Chez Da Jez, Vettim, and a host of others.)

tm.asp?m=2932617&mpage=1&key=

A salute to all who have departed, especially those who have passed away.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:41 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Desmond Wallace ...



Image

Great picture, Pax. I vaguely remember him posting this some years ago. Thanks for finding it and reposting. [8D]

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:30 pm
by obvert
Just logged on and saw this. One of the best who also gave a lot to new players on the forum when we arrived way back when.

I'll always remember the vicious emus on his avatars!



Image

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:04 pm
by zuluhour
yourself

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:42 am
by PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy


Great picture, Pax. I vaguely remember him posting this some years ago. Thanks for finding it and reposting.
Des posted this about 2 months before he passed ... after the first rumor to firmly dispel the premature news. It was a great shot, a milestone shot for him as it was the furthest he had walked unassisted in some time. He was rallying at the time ... very active in the forums for several weeks. He composed his BDay ditty for Termy shortly after this ... a classic.



RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 pm
by Chickenboy
Do you have a copy of the B-day ditty? That would be great...[8D]

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:29 pm
by PaxMondo
tried to get a link, but browser issues:


I'm a little teapot
short and stout
When I get all steamed up
hear me shout
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear T
Happy Birthday to You
and Eat your birthday cake.


BTW, it was Des' final post in the forums ...

You have to know Termy to appreciate. A final salute from a classy guy to a dev who, like the rest of them, gave a lot for this game.

RE: OT: DivePac88

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:58 pm
by PaxMondo
Des did one for Mike shortly before this one for T ... and of course we also lost Mike not long after that as well ...

Absent friends ...