Page 1 of 1
Linux titles
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:57 pm
by varis
I assume Matrix Games is well aware of Linux (just like Macintosh) as a possible platform for future titles. Has there been any specific statements concerning Linux from Matrix Games or discussion on these forums?
Linux does already have a few commercial strategy games, but it would be nice to see something like Matrix Games' titles ported to our favourite OS. Porting could help marketing wise too, as the Linux (or Macintosh) communities would be pushing the title, so news about it could reach the ears of the gaming mainstream more easily... Not to mention that Linux is the game server platform of choice.
If making a full native port is considered too expensive, one option is to only use those features of DirectX that are supported by WINE, the Win32 API implementation for Linux.
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:29 pm
by sinner
Hi,
I'm writting to you from my Linux. Now, I can play SPWaW 5.03 with WINE!!!
Yes, try this version "Wine release 20010510 ". I use the RPM: wine-cvs-stripped-062301-1.rpm in my Mandrake 8.0
I installed, played, and upgraded from 5.0 to 5.03.
Unfortunately, the "Sound upgrade" program does not work
If you need help, please contact me.
RE:
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 am
by Andrew Williams
Cross of Iron seems to be running fine on Linux/wine
Sound works
fb.asp?m=2640256
RE: RE:
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 am
by htuna
As the said above, you can run lots of stuff on Wine.. especially stuff that doesn't have High End Graphics.. like war games...
So far on my Wife's Netbook I've run TOAW III, JTillers Civil War, HPS Anteitam, HPS Red Victory
RE: RE:
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 am
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: cmurphy625
As the said above, you can run lots of stuff on Wine.. especially stuff that doesn't have High End Graphics.. like war games...
So far on my Wife's Netbook I've run TOAW III, JTillers Civil War, HPS Anteitam, HPS Red Victory
Conquest of the Aegean is another one which works on Wine
Frankly, I don't really see the need for specific development for Linux, everyone I know who has a Linux box either has a Windows box too for serious stuff, has a Windows emulator or can dual-boot into Windows.
What wargame developers should be looking at is iPad and Android development
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: RE:
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 am
by berto
ORIGINAL: cmurphy625
... I've run TOAW III...
+1
I've also run Matrix' Battle Ground Series (American Civil War, Napoleon) under (Ubuntu) Linux WINE, but with a graphics quirk or two.
RE: RE:
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:05 am
by junk2drive
I gave up on ubuntu at 10.04 when ATI cards wouldn't work.
With the slow computer I had with 9.10, booting to windows to play a game then back again to surf or whatever took to long for me. I became easier just to stay in windows.
I liked a lot of what ubuntu offered and I was already familiar with open office and some of the other programs it uses. I couldn't get my type of games to work with wine.