Page 1 of 1

Campains

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 5:20 pm
by Don Doom
Is there in the works for a Kursk, stalingrad, and or pearl harbor? I have tried to make one of kursk, but it does not feel right. Thanks

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 8:59 pm
by Wild Bill
We have a bunch of ideas for campaigns, Don. Send me some time to do them Image

Utah to the Rhine took 2 months of dedicated effort, plus hundreds of hours of testing by at least 10 testers.

I would say time wise, with 22 battles, this campaign alone took in man hours at least 1200 hours.

Estimating my own time of designing each battle at 10 hours each (average) we are talking about between 250-350 man hours I spent on it. And that is not an exaggeration, probably conservative.

A good campaign is NOT an easy or quick task.

Some possible campaigns:

Stalingrad, Kursk, Berlin, Japan WW2, Betio, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, SAS in North Africa, Rommel in NA, US vs USSR, 1945, Crete, Seelowe (invasion of England), Korsun Pocket,
US Rangers, Guadalcanal, etc., etc.

Ideas, we have. More are welcome. Time is my problem and the effort needed to do it right.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited October 07, 2000).]

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:04 pm
by Wild Bill
Yep, Cam"pains" it is Don. You spelled it right! They can be a pain sometimes Image

But the result makes it all worthwhile Image

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 3:55 pm
by David F. Wall
I'm attempting an Opereation Sea Lion campaign (Germany invades England in 1940).
I have the first few scenarios worked out on paper, but there's still more design work to do even before I really get going with the editor.

However, with a little luck...
DFW

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:53 pm
by Graf Speer
While you guys seem to be playing campaigns, I am currently unable to even load one up - running version 4.3b; so, when I highlight a campaign and click on the "Start" button, I am booted back at to the Windows desktop. Image

This is the same kind of "boot" I get when I click on the "Encylopedia" button. Image

Am I missing something obvious Image here?

Albert

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:59 pm
by Wild Bill
One corrupted file in there can do that. I had a bad text file once in a campaign and it kept crashing when I tried to start it once. I had to track it down file by file till I found it.

If you are getting crashes in two entirely different sections of the game, could be something else.

You may want to consider a reinstallation. I'm sure you've already removed that pesky steel.prf file from your save directory.
That has often been the culprit.

Remove it and restart the game, reset your preferences and voila! It works. Food for thought.

WB


------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:00 pm
by Wild Bill
Good luck with Sealion, David. ...WB

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:38 pm
by David F. Wall
You think finding maps of WWII battlefields is tough, you ought to try finding some for places where a fight never happened :-)

At the moment, I'm scrounging from Ordnance Survey and improvising.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:21 am
by Don Doom
Good luck with sealion. Right now I am taking abreak from my north african campain, win first round with marginal victory, then the british overran me with a steam roller. No survivers, all panzers kaput.
Mr W.Bill any hints on how to use chandras map editor? The manual is like reading greek. Help for a broken down panzermann.
Don

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:03 am
by Wild Bill
I'm in the same boat as you, Don! The man who knows how to use it well is Brent Richards, "Grenadier."

Drop him a line, he helped me. I know he'll be happy to give you some pointers.

brentr@matrixgames.com

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games