Page 1 of 1

Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:42 pm
by Steelwhip
I will have to say that I am disappointed with Germany Reforged.

A number of the scenarios seem to be very...bleh. All the defenders set up on a small radius of hexes from the VP locations and the attackers come on with pretty much one avenue of approach to the VPS.

I feel there is a lack of....tactical flexability or control needed for the scenarios. its not like the Red Storm scenarios where in-say...Dawns Early light, the Soviets had a number of attack avenues to approach and the NATO HAD to respond to where ever the penetrations and thrusts came at. I'm not seeing any of this in Reforged.

I did a little test earlier today and did the scenario Forward Defense. I set the Germans up in a nice standard defense....and hit play. I didn't order a single unti to do a single thing the entire game. Just let it play out where the troops stood and let the AI come at me

I won in 3 hours with an 86%

Ive NEVER won a match in Red Storm with an 86%...and I didn't order a single unit the entire match.

I get that this is a port of a previous games scenarios. But it just seems that the translation didn't come over very well.

I will admit the new maps do look fantastic.....and I'm sure the gameplay is more exciting from the Soviet side of things...just feeling that the mark was missed with this DLC. If I'm missing something please let me know

Image

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:56 pm
by budd
I've only played the smaller ones and of the ones i've played it certainly seems your right now that i think about it. i would think the medium to larger ones would have more tactical options? I guess it all depends on the amount of VP's and the locations. The VP's have been bunched more in the smaller battles with limited approaches.

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:59 pm
by wodin
I'm waiting for the expansion to Red Storm. Though I may pick this up at some point if I have abit of spare cash.

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:44 pm
by zakblood
you need to remember these are the older battles / maps just made into the newer game engine / version, and just what many wanted as previous players of the old game are used to them i'd guess, but it's like everything now days, while some enjoy a blast from the past, others would maybe like the same format as on the newer maps / battles, for me i like it, then again i loved the old Germany ones as well...

edited typo again lol

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:17 pm
by loki100
ORIGINAL: Steelwhip

,...

I get that this is a port of a previous games scenarios. But it just seems that the translation didn't come over very well.

I will admit the new maps do look fantastic.....and I'm sure the gameplay is more exciting from the Soviet side of things...just feeling that the mark was missed with this DLC. If I'm missing something please let me know

....

from a little bit of play with the new scenarios I think its the really big ones that offer something new. Trying to co-ordinate 4 Soviet tank divisions or several NATO formations is a new challenge that isn't in the original scenario set.

Now whether, given how the game plays, huger is better is a different question. I'm learning a lot with the new scenarios but keep on finding myself firing up 'Time to Dance' (with either side) because it is such a playable and challenging experience.

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:27 pm
by RangerX3X
I would have to say I agree and disagree with the OP: they pretty much play out as he describes, however they did come over (port) quite well.

The original game featured 12 sectors that existed on every map. The objectives in an overwhelming majority of scenarios were located in the same sector. NATO and the Warsaw Pact would fight for control of sector 3 or sectors 6 and 12, but mostly always the same.

Forward Defense from the original game, both sides have to fight for Sector 2 only, with NATO effectively starting there:

Image

Very rarely were there objectives in different sectors, and rarer still were there objectives in multiple sectors.

The end result is in Flashpoint Germany one side was largely playing a defensive holding game (whether they started in the objective sector or not), and the other side would play an attacking game - rinse and repeat for the same sectors.

Flashpoint Campaigns is much more diverse in switching to Victory Points which can be strung out along a road or shotgun blast all over a map, making for a much more challenging and varied tactical situation.

But to replicate those original FPG scenarios, the VP pretty much have to be clustered together.


RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:11 am
by demyansk
Good points but I still like this game

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:56 am
by Phoenix100
Try it H2H. I finished a game on this map (Soviet Punch Alt) with Alex1812, playing classic PBEM, me playing NATO, and it was nailbiting stuff, great fun, quite a close thing right to the end. He won a minor victory, but I think if he'd been up against someone better than me, someone with sense and know-how enough to try to keep at least a couple of units fresh and on high morale and readiness for the last hour (as he did)then it would have been a draw.

So far my experience (very very limited) has been that the GF scenarios are better balanced for H2H than the originals.

Peter

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:32 pm
by WABAC
I can never get anywhere with the Germans.

Next time I won't give them orders. Let them figure it out. [:D]

RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 am
by CapnDarwin
Sometime you can have a great defensive plan that just works. Sometime you need to adjust. Everyone plays and sees the game a bit differently and that's okay. Some find the game exciting and with tension and others don't. We are cool with that. You need to play games that you find interesting.