Page 1 of 1

How long does it take you to do a turn?

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:22 am
by Knavey
I am not as anal as Feinder my opponent in controlling my assets. Looking back, I would have done some things differently because I have learned new rules in the course of our current game. But it still takes me 45 minutes to an hour to crank out a turn.

Just curious as to how long it takes everyone else.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:58 am
by Thurmonator
I usually spend about 45 minutes to an hour on the first turn that I am back in my "dungeon" as my wife likes to call my computer room in the basement. You see, i forget the minutae of whats going on in my campaign after a sleep and a day of work. But after that 1st turn, I can usually get in a week or so of game time played in about an hour after that. Granted, this is against the AI, so there is no waiting for "you've got mail".

On that note, I bet some of you guys haven't been as eager to get incoming email than when you were receiving the first picture of titties across your email.

Haha

Thurm

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:59 am
by SoulBlazer
Geesh! It takes me about 5 minutes to shoot through the combat replay (unless there was a major air battle or surface action, then I usually watch them out) but most turns I can finish in 10-15 minutes if nothing major is going on. Theres plenty of 'slow turns' where you're waiting for ships to come from HQ, or waiting for your ships to reach their desitnation, or seeing what your foe is trying. I do check each base and each land/air unit quickly, but no need (normaly) to make changes. Hence I'm able to return turns at a good rate, much to my PBEM'ers surprise. :)

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:00 am
by Drex
i can vouch for Soulblazer, We're playing two games now and probalby get 4 or more turns a day at 15 min. each.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:25 am
by PzB74
I don't use more than 20 min on a none eventful turn either.

The US player can actually use the combat.sav and game save file to check how long the Jap player has spent on the turn.

If the combat sav is dated 02.41 and the game file 02.57, he'll know that his opponent spent 16 mins to finnish the turn.
On the turn before a major engagement, the time used will most likely be close to an hour.....

A small codebreaker ability for the Allies..!?)
Guess paranoid players will get the hiccup now <G> ;)

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:03 am
by mbatch729
Originally posted by PzB
I don't use more than 20 min on a none eventful turn either.

The US player can actually use the combat.sav and game save file to check how long the Jap player has spent on the turn.

If the combat sav is dated 02.41 and the game file 02.57, he'll know that his opponent spent 16 mins to finnish the turn.
On the turn before a major engagement, the time used will most likely be close to an hour.....

A small codebreaker ability for the Allies..!?)
Guess paranoid players will get the hiccup now <G> ;)


Ah, but that doesn't always work when your opponent has small kids. Sometimes it is several hours before I can get back to the computer when my twins are demanding my attention. :eek:

heh

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:07 am
by Von_Frag
Depends on how much I've had to drink. ;)

Von Frag

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:08 am
by PzB74
Hehe true, they got enough to worry about ;)
but except for those....

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:03 am
by rcwkent
I try to keep written notes on what i'm trying to do in which pbem game. I do get them confused at times. I have 6 going now. Without the notes I'm always asking myself 'what I was trying to do'-especially with just one or two turns a day.

I spend about 15 minutes checking everything and making routine moves. Organising an invasion can take a while to synchronize everything. an hour plus.

I wish the 'List all Bases' screen had base support numbers and that the "List all task forces' would show the at sea location.

I have all the Japanese first turns in the scenarios I play already saved, so I don't have to go through that first turn over and over.
Wish I could do that with the allies too.

Thanks ,PzB.
Now that I know that folks are using the cambat save and game files for intel, I'll have to fog that up.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:22 am
by Feinder
Knavey's right, I'm pretty anal about the whole thing. It usually takes me a good 45 minutes to an hour, even on the "retiring" turns. An hour is probably "normal". But even the "retiring" turns, I'm noting which of of Knavey's capitol ships got hit, when I expect them back, checking my list of missions (see below) to see if the current situation warrents "ajustments".

But if you want to know "anal" I am about the whole thing, I've keep a notebook at my desk. There's a page of notes that I are my ojectives for the Hebrides and my objectives for New Guinea. Under each of those, I note missions that are nessary for the completion of those objectives, and then which TFs are assigned to each mission. I'm THAT anal. Sometimes, it's just a scribble that says "Send more supplys to PM" (actually, never gets erased *grin*), but if I've got 20 TFs out there, some are loading troops, some are loading supplies, some are on some other missions, but are also slated to cover the previously mentioned convoys... Diagramming things out helps me keep track of everything, and stay focused on my objectives.

Right now, I'm about 3 weeks ahead of schedule :^)

-F-

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:27 am
by denisonh
Originally posted by SoulBlazer
Geesh! It takes me about 5 minutes to shoot through the combat replay (unless there was a major air battle or surface action, then I usually watch them out) but most turns I can finish in 10-15 minutes if nothing major is going on. Theres plenty of 'slow turns' where you're waiting for ships to come from HQ, or waiting for your ships to reach their desitnation, or seeing what your foe is trying. I do check each base and each land/air unit quickly, but no need (normaly) to make changes. Hence I'm able to return turns at a good rate, much to my PBEM'ers surprise. :)


Seems about right for me as well, although as the game progresses, the combat replay gets longer....