Page 1 of 2
Small request for next patch
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:48 pm
by Skyfire7631
If there's such a thing as a "next patch", of course ...
Would it possible to remove all the annoying "Pilot X was credited with kill number N" messages ?
IMHO, they have no interest, and they slown down the game.
Please, pretty please
Likewise, I'm not sure the "squadron X transporting supplies to Base Y" are really useful. Not sure, though. What's your opinion about this ?
Regards.
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:52 pm
by Veer
Good idea!
Yes... they do slow down the game. But while they shouldn't be removed entirely, i would like an option put in the prefrences of either letting them display, not not displaying them.
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:59 pm
by Mr.Frag
Hit escape, they scroll by really fast.
My gripe is that the ESC keeps buffered and clears the pop up panel you want to see after it all scrolls by at nice quick speed.
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:17 pm
by Skyfire7631
Originally posted by Veer
Good idea!
Yes... they do slow down the game. But while they shouldn't be removed entirely, i would like an option put in the prefrences of either letting them display, not not displaying them.
Yes, an option would do fine, of course
Regards.
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:40 pm
by loader6
Also, if you could get rid of that annoying recon mission camera shutter sound effect. It drives me crazy, especially when I have to hear it multiple times every replay.
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:57 pm
by Skyfire7631
Originally posted by loader6
Also, if you could get rid of that annoying recon mission camera shutter sound effect. It drives me crazy, especially when I have to hear it multiple times every replay.
True, oh so true !
I wanted to talk about that too, but completly forgot. Thanks
Regards.
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:57 am
by juliet7bravo
Originally posted by loader6
Also, if you could get rid of that annoying recon mission camera shutter sound effect. It drives me crazy, especially when I have to hear it multiple times every replay.
Ditto!
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:19 am
by Yamamoto
Originally posted by Mr.Frag
Hit escape, they scroll by really fast.
My gripe is that the ESC keeps buffered and clears the pop up panel you want to see after it all scrolls by at nice quick speed.
The buffering of the Escape key is something I hate too! I use it often to get past the boring messages and I know I will always miss one message when I use it.
I'd like to keep the pilot messages. For single player games I replace the names of one CV's pilots with the names of my friends and other people I know. It's gotten to the point where one of my friends asks me "How many kills do I have now?" I also add the names of people I don't like to the enemy pilots.
I'd like to get rid of the picture sound on recon missions as well, or at least make it so it doesn't slow the game down. I don't really mind the sound itself.
Yamamoto
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:31 am
by Admiral Scott
I like that camera sound. I know it irritates me during fly overs, but I assume it irritates my opponent also when I recon his bases .
This adds an emotional element to the game.
I am especially fond of hearing the sound of my opponent's subs sinking!
I also take great joy in hearing his ships hit my mines!
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:56 pm
by Skyfire7631
About that recon sound, I modified it a little so that it is half the length and a little less loud.
For those who are interested, it is
here (don't forget to backup the original one in case you don't like mine).
It is still annoying though

I wonder if I won't replace it with a blank sound ...
Regards.
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:36 pm
by Sonny
I like the sounds, although I might try that shortened camera sound.
I think they should set the # of kills message to 5 since that is the number needed for an ace.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:28 am
by Knavey
I agree. Get rid of scrolling pilot kill messages. Include them on the CR if you want, but not during the fight. If you really want to know what they are, just go to the pilot screens. There is really no need for me to know as IJN player, what the USN pilots are scoring. And in some of the larger air battles, it does take a while to get through.
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:24 pm
by bradfordkay
I think that it's still going to take a lot of time to process the combat, so they decided to give us some visual indication that the computer is processing the battle. IIRC, the game is calculating each individual aircraft's encounters, so it does take a little while to process. Would you rather read those messages or be wondering if your computer has locked up?
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:08 pm
by Hard Sarge
I disagree, I like the combat messages about the pilots, I look forward to the air battles to see how the guys are doing
when you complain about how long it takes to run combat with thoses messages on, have you cut down on the message lenght in the settings ?
HARD_Sarge
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:34 pm
by Skyfire7631
Originally posted by Hard Sarge
I disagree, I like the combat messages about the pilots, I look forward to the air battles to see how the guys are doing
when you complain about how long it takes to run combat with thoses messages on, have you cut down on the message lenght in the settings ?
HARD_Sarge
Yes, I did
BTW, maybe there are different messages : I'm talking mainly about the ones you get when you close the air-air combat screen before the end of the fight.
Regards.
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:38 pm
by Drongo
Posted by Mr. Frag
My gripe is that the ESC keeps buffered and clears the pop up panel you want to see after it all scrolls by at nice quick speed.
It doesn't have to be a problem. Don't use the ESC key to speed up the flow of messages. If you use the F1 key, it will do the same thing without exiting you out of the combat displays. Other keys probably work too but that is the one I use to skip through everything but the combat and AARs.
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:53 pm
by Drongo
On a similar note,
Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the messages from the previous turn? Sometimes it would be worth studying them at length without having to halt the turn in progress. Re-watching the combat replay would not be considered a viable alternative.
Given that the messages have a scroll bar, it would be good to review them at your leisure, such as if they were displayable in the player planning phase of the following turn.
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:45 pm
by Yamamoto
Originally posted by Drongo
On a similar note,
Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the messages from the previous turn?
Rename the combatReport.txt file. That is the file where the results are saved and it is overwritten each turn.
Yamamoto
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:50 pm
by Skyfire7631
No, I think Drongo was talking about the messages that appear in the lower left corner of the screen.
These messages do not appear in the CombatReport.txt file, unless I'm mistaken.
Regards.
Give that man a prize
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:04 pm
by Drongo
Posted by Skyfire76
No, I think Drongo was talking about the messages that appear in the lower left corner of the screen.
Spot on.
There is sometimes a lot of useful intel in the messages (not present in the AAR file) which is best studied at your leisure after the turn (when you've sat back down in the chair and stopped screaming/swearing/crying).
Having it accessible as a pull down menu during the planning phase could be often very useful. Or maybe I'm just too anal.