Page 1 of 1

Bofors 40 mm

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:15 pm
by Dave Wilson
I just wanted to point out how effective this weapon is at ground attack/defense. It can stop anything up to a medium tank and is
devastating against exposed Infantry and soft vehicles. I started the Allied European Campaign with four and have now doubled that to eight. They are vulnerable to Artillery attacks but their small size makes them very difficult for direct fire weapons to hit.
There is historical precedence for this type of employment as I remember seeing clips on the History Channel of British troops using a single barrel Bofors in just this manner during the Battle of Crete.
BTW, how the Hell did the Italians get those those 305mm Naval guns into the desert? Image


------------------




[This message has been edited by Dave Wilson (edited October 10, 2000).]

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:29 pm
by Nikademus
[BTW, how the Hell did the Italians get those those 305mm Naval guns into the desert? Image

The Italian Navy is under new management. And their looking for trouble mister Image


Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:57 pm
by Grumble
The Bofors 40mmL70 is still a hell of a AAA weapon. Excellent ROF and the round has a great burst radius-if you're on the shooting end that is.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:21 am
by hammerhead
IS the gun on the US m19 a Bofors? Or on the British "Mark" AA tanks? If neither...then where can I get ahold of some? Hmmm?

------------------
"Mediocrity carries its own price."
It is my pleasure to communicate with you.
Greg - "Hammerhead"

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:58 am
by Almogavar
Yes, the gun on the US m19 is a Bofors 40mm L/60 on a twin 40mm M2 AA mount. The US adopted the gun in 1941 and the design commenced in mid-1943 and 904 vehicles were ordered in August 1944, but only 285 were completed.
The Crusader AA MK.II carried a twin 20mm guns, but the Mk.I carried the Bofors gun in open turret.

Almogavar

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 1:16 am
by Dave Wilson
Nikademus: I knew they were up to something when the Pizza deliveries got later and later.

Grumble: You are so right. I forgot to mention that you get excellent AAA protection as well.

Hammerhead: On the Allied TOE it is called '40mm AA-Gun'. The design was developed by
Bofors of Sweden prior to the Second World War. It was used buy all the Allied forces.
The USN mounted them on ships in duel and quad configurations but the land version was
single barrel.

Almogavar: Thanks, I'm new to the game and I didn't know that.



[This message has been edited by Dave Wilson (edited October 10, 2000).]