Page 1 of 1

my planes do not attack!

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:37 pm
by marcosortega
Hi,
I'm playing a pbem game at 4 weeks hell scenario.
Currently I have around 200 planes in Shortland Island, but none of them flies during day operations. I have supplies, enough support, they are all rested (fatigue=0)...
They should make whether a naval attack or airfield attack, but nothing happens.
Lunga is seriously damaged by my bombardments, but still US have some ships going around the island, so it is plenty of good targets :)
Anybody could tell me what might be the reason for this lack of aggresiveness?
Thanks!!

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:06 pm
by bilbow
What size is the airbase? As I recall it starts as a "1", but bombers won't fly unless it's a 4 or higher size.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:41 pm
by marcosortega
yes, you were right. size is 1. thanks!!

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:49 pm
by Mr.Frag
What size is the airbase? As I recall it starts as a "1", but bombers won't fly unless it's a 4 or higher size.


Am I missing something here?

My understanding was that there was a percentage of planes DEDUCTED from the raid size for smaller then size 4 airfields, not a hard cap (YOU CAN'T FLY) rule in the game.

I don't have my manual here so I can't quote the specific section, but I remember it being a 25% penalty reduction of mission chance or something of the sort ...

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:01 pm
by HawaiiFive-O
Level Bombers won't run certain missions off a Size 3 or less airfield, Naval Attach being one of them.

The 25% rule breaks down like this.

If (Total Number Of Planes) > (Airfield size) * 50, then 25% of the planes won't fly.

If (Total Number Of Planes) > (Airfield size) * 100, then an additional 25% of the planes won't fly.

So don't pack too many planes on small airfields.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:31 am
by bradfordkay
Rule 11.22, pg 88 of the original v1.0 manual:

Aircraft on Size 1 airfields

The following missions will not be flown from airfields with a current size of 1: Airfield
Attack, Port Attack, Naval Attack, Ground Attack, and (Fighter) Sweep. These airfields were too small to support these kinds of offensive missions.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:40 am
by HawaiiFive-O
Ahhh, yes. bradfordkay is correct. I was mixing up the rules there. It is as he describes, with the following penalty for Level Bombers as well.

From the manual, page 54.

Level bombers that operate from an airfield less than size 4 suffer three penalties when flying offensive missions (carrying bombs), with the penalties intensifying
at smaller airfields.
1. operational losses on takeoff.
2. a reduction in their range as they cannot fly combat missions at greater than their normal range.
3. a diminished (extended range) bomb load.
If the number of aircraft on a base is greater than the airfield size x 50 than the number of planes that launch on any given mission is reduced by 25%. If the
number of aircraft is greater than the airfield size x 100 than the number of planes launched mission is reduced by 25% a second time.