Page 1 of 4
Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am
by DeZanic
Hello
I have had a serious disastrous war for the last 9 months in this game. It is august 1942 and I lost a serious amount of carriers because of a failed attempt to attack Rabaul.
Now I am kinda locked and can't do anything I guess. Is this the point where I should surrender and start over?
By the way.. I do not reload savegames. What has happened has happened and cannot be undone. So that is not an option. I would like what I do in this case. Hints? Because I feel kinda depressed now.
Thanks for some answers and hints.

RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 am
by VukyTzar
As JFB i'm having evil laugh right now[:)][:D][:D]. I'll watch this one closely and I am sorry I cant help you. Good luck! [8D]
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:45 am
by John B.
How many carriers do you still have and has the IJN lost any?
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:02 pm
by BBfanboy
Are you playing a human opponent or the AI?
The AI does not care if you start over.
If your opponent is human, he will not be happy if his success equals your quitting - he put effort into getting the game this far too.
And If you are playing the AI, I question your policy of not reloading/replaying. Most new players are playing the AI to learn about the game. Redoing a turn is a great way to figure out what works after you have found out what does not work.
And if you have not seen the advice already, be sure to exit the game and restart it - or even restart your computer - to renew the random number settings that are used by the game for "dice rolls". I have found that making lots of changes during turn prep seems to use up all your good luck, but restarting before running the turn usually gives a reasonable result instead of a disaster.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:25 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Are you playing a human opponent or the AI?
The AI does not care if you start over.
If your opponent is human, he will not be happy if his success equals your quitting - he put effort into getting the game this far too.
And If you are playing the AI, I question your policy of not reloading/replaying. Most new players are playing the AI to learn about the game. Redoing a turn is a great way to figure out what works after you have found out what does not work.
And if you have not seen the advice already, be sure to exit the game and restart it - or even restart your computer - to renew the random number settings that are used by the game for "dice rolls". I have found that making lots of changes during turn prep seems to use up all your good luck, but restarting before running the turn usually gives a reasonable result instead of a disaster.
Idunno. In this case, I actually recommend NOT reloading. Call it an experiment in hardship. A learning experience! He can learn in case this ever happens to him against a human in a PBEM.
You'll be fine. Load up the "ship availability" screen from the I-key screen and filter for CV/CVL, sort by date. Just look at early 1944. You get maybe a dozen. Then look at the CVEs - you won't need your CVs to cover landings. It'll be great!
Also, August of 1942 is an awfully early time to be trying to counterpunch Rabaul. I think you just learned that. There are a lot of smaller factors that add up to that conclusion, like:
-Ship upgrades (your flak isn't very good yet, at least on most ships)
-Plane upgrades (still Wildcats, Dauntlesses)
-OOB (Order Of Battle - the CV/CVE thing I just mentioned, and you don't have m/any Fletchers!)
-No amphibious assault ships yet
-Still poor USAAF LBA choices
-LCU TOE upgrades
-LCUs in general - only a few marines, not many USMC/USA tank units yet, etc.
I'm sure I missed a few other factors, but hopefully you get the idea.
EDIT: Also, you don't have to exit the game or restart your computer to get a new set of randoms on an AI turn. As the Allies, simply load the wpae002.pws file, which is the pre-turn autosave, and it will run a fresh replay with new randoms when you exit those orders. As Japan, you can also load the wpae002.pws but it won't let you change any orders - it will jump straight into the replay.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:26 pm
by DeZanic
ORIGINAL: John B.
How many carriers do you still have and has the IJN lost any?
One British carrier is operating in the Indian Ocean and Yorktown and Lexington are under repair in Pearl Harbour for a few weeks. Two escort carriers escorting very large convoys of 15+ ships between US and Australia.
So 1 CV in operating in Indian Ocean and 2 CVE in the Pacific is what is left.
The Japanese have lost 3 CV and 1 CVL during this period. I don't know how man they have left.
Plan is now to stay defensive and closely monitor every move of Japanese carriers and avoid. I will switch to fleet in beeing and avoid surface combat with them till February 1943. Switiching also to submarine and sending wolfpacks to hunt their carriers instead. Looks promising so far.. one carrier has been sunk this way and more have been hit but the torpedoes fail too often or else I would have had maybe 2 more sunk japanese carriers by my submarines.
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Are you playing a human opponent or the AI?
The AI does not care if you start over.
If your opponent is human, he will not be happy if his success equals your quitting - he put effort into getting the game this far too.
And If you are playing the AI, I question your policy of not reloading/replaying. Most new players are playing the AI to learn about the game. Redoing a turn is a great way to figure out what works after you have found out what does not work.
And if you have not seen the advice already, be sure to exit the game and restart it - or even restart your computer - to renew the random number settings that are used by the game for "dice rolls". I have found that making lots of changes during turn prep seems to use up all your good luck, but restarting before running the turn usually gives a reasonable result instead of a disaster.
Playing against AI. I have promised myself from the beginning to play this game without reloading because in real life during the second world war the generals can't reload battles they made mistakes at. A loss is a loss and a victory is a victory. The AI does not either reload a battle when he makes a mistake. So I think it is cheating the AI by doing so.
I am trying to be positive and see this as a challenge... war ends in 1946 so I hope I have time to rectify my mistakes.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:28 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: DeZanic
ORIGINAL: John B.
How many carriers do you still have and has the IJN lost any?
One British carrier is operating in the Indian Ocean and Yorktown and Lexington are under repair in Pearl Harbour for a few weeks. Two escort carriers escorting very large convoys of 15+ ships between US and Australia.
So 1 CV in operating in Indian Ocean and 2 CVE in the Pacific is what is left.
The Japanese have lost 3 CV and 1 CVL during this period. I don't know how man they have left.
Plan is now to stay defensive and closely monitor every move of Japanese carriers and avoid. I will switch to fleet in beeing and avoid surface combat with them till February 1943. Switiching also to submarine and sending wolfpacks to hunt their carriers instead. Looks promising so far.. one carrier has been sunk this way and more have been hit but the torpedoes fail too often or else I would have had maybe 2 more sunk japanese carriers by my submarines.
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Are you playing a human opponent or the AI?
The AI does not care if you start over.
If your opponent is human, he will not be happy if his success equals your quitting - he put effort into getting the game this far too.
And If you are playing the AI, I question your policy of not reloading/replaying. Most new players are playing the AI to learn about the game. Redoing a turn is a great way to figure out what works after you have found out what does not work.
And if you have not seen the advice already, be sure to exit the game and restart it - or even restart your computer - to renew the random number settings that are used by the game for "dice rolls". I have found that making lots of changes during turn prep seems to use up all your good luck, but restarting before running the turn usually gives a reasonable result instead of a disaster.
Playing against AI. I have promised myself from the beginning to play this game without reloading because in real life during the second world war the generals can't reload battles they made mistakes at. A loss is a loss and a victory is a victory. The AI does not either reload a battle when he makes a mistake. So I think it is cheating the AI by doing so.
I am trying to be positive and see this as a challenge... war ends in 1946 so I hope I have time to rectify my mistakes.
You literally have years. Just know that now, you can't fight the IJN if it shows up in bulk until at least summer of 1943. That doesn't mean you have to sit on your hands, though. There's plenty that you can do to nibble (even bite) around the edges.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:45 pm
by catwhoorg
Once the Essexes come on line, you will more than enough.
Take lessons in caution and move forward slowly. Island hopping if you have to, to get land air coverage.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:19 pm
by VukyTzar
Well I am in 21st january 1942 and have lost none, I did managed to sink lexington and saratoga. As japan player I can advise you to pull back and fortify Oz and try to lure enemy KB in your bombets naval attack range... Banshees are almost useless bud hudsons and B17 may do the work... Dont give up[:-]this is good test to see what you can do wizh cripled forces
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:41 pm
by SuluSea
Hi, You've lost nothing you can't overcome. You'll be getting tons upon tons of new toys soon. Your Essex, Fletchers, attack landing craft and infantry upgrades will carry the day eventually.
Use the orphaned air groups from the sunk carriers to assist in putting your naval air training in overdrive.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:48 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: SuluSea
Hi, You've lost nothing you can't overcome. You'll be getting tons upon tons of new toys soon. Your Essex, Fletchers, attack landing craft and infantry upgrades will carry the day eventually.
Use the orphaned air groups from the sunk carriers to assist in putting your naval air training in overdrive.
This is a true silver lining. The USN doesn't have much for on-map pilot training capability.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:56 pm
by John B.
If the IJN has lost 3 CVs then I don't think you have lost a decisive battle. Remember that by the end of the Guadalcanal battles the IJN had lost 4 CVs and 1 CVL (doing this from memory so I may be a little off) and the USN had lost 4 CVs and the Brits a CVL (the Hermes). In other words, you're at one more -- really 1/2 more since it's a Brit CV -- and the IJN is at one less loss than where things stood historically. With the flood of new production you get this is not a a catastrophe.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:10 pm
by GetAssista
SCLS (sudden carrier loss syndrome) is a serious condition that can develop while using this game. Unpredictable and violent, it can make your life miserable for days. No known treatment exists, infected person should endure and hopefully develop natural resistance. Drink liquids, get lots of fresh air and cuddles from your family and loved ones.
It mostly strikes Japan players though.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:38 pm
by DeZanic
Haha hey thanks guys for chearing me up. I'll try to nibble a little on the edges of the Japanese Empire and start drinking.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:45 pm
by Macclan5
Put in perspective you are not really much better or worse off than the Allies were at the very same stage of the war!
They lost Lex - Yorktown - Sara was laid up - and Hornet was also lost. Hermes was sunk by IJN Indian Ocean raid if I recall correctly.
You now have 'historical parity'
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:49 pm
by Macclan5
Note: I too am playing a no reload challenge as a relative newbie. Through luck chance perseverance I am doing well I think.
However even I broke my own imposed no reload rule twice now due to stupid omissions of orders I wanted.
At the end of th day it's supposed to be a 'fun game' so play it as such. Continue to play because you want to learn innovative tactics to win - or not.[8D]
There is little value in continuing to "grind out a win" if your heart is not in it. However this is lots of valuable lessons you will learn (before me and others it seems) about the tactics and strategies of this game.
Best wishes. Enjoy
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:06 pm
by TOMLABEL
Been there and have done that (and worse) more than you want to know.
You still have the Lex and the Yorktown - two fabulous carriers, so take care of them.
Like others have said, nibble away and don't expose them to danger. Help from USA is on the way!
TOMLABEL
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:20 am
by crsutton
You have traded six for four. Congratulations you are winning the game...Carry on.
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:49 am
by wdolson
You're doing a little worse than reality, but not by much. The US ended 1942 with 4 of 6 at start carriers sunk and the Enterprise badly damaged. The Enterprise spent most of 1943 being repaired. The Japanese were down 4 CVs and 2 CVLs for 1942 and ended the year with 1 of the remaining two badly damaged. Neither side was really ready for any carrier battles until late 1943 when the Essexes and Independences started to arrive. Even at that the US only raided with the carriers in late 43 to work up the crews and get them ready for combat.
1943 saw the reconquest of the Solomons and the march of the north coast of New Guinea because those campaigns could be pulled off with ground based air and without carriers.
You lost one more British carrier than they did historically, but that's not going to tip the balance of power in any significant way.
Bill
RE: Loss of 6 carriers. Help on moving on?
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:26 am
by Yaab
I guess you could suppress Rabaul by auto-sinking four USN carriers in Rabaul's bay and forming an impenetrable artficial reef there. Just a thought.