Page 1 of 1

Very minor bug in 4.3b

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 8:27 am
by Miku
I was playing this new campaing by WB yesterday, with all options on (also vehicle breakdowns). I sent my 60mm Mortar Jeep charging forward to help my front line troops, when the lousy &¤%& jeep broke his axle or something ... Out of blue I got this idea of hitting the "undo"-button ... and it worked!! (this is the bug) Funny thing about it is that the jeep was still immobilised in its original location, so I actually made things worse; and there is no way I can undo the undo I made :-)

As there is code that stops you doing undo if you spot enemy, this code could also added to stop doing undo if you get immobilized by breakdown. Very minor thing, but should be also very easy to correct.

Mika

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 3:54 pm
by Arralen
Originally posted by Miku:
...when the lousy &¤%& jeep broke his axle or something ... Out of blue I got this idea of hitting the "undo"-button ... and it worked!! (this is the bug) Funny thing about it is that the jeep was still immobilised ...
No bug here - at least not the way you see it. Bug is that the vehicle is still immobilized after undoing, if there's a bug at all.

I think it's intended behaviour - a "random event" has nothing to do with your counterpart (which spotting has), so you should be free to undo, but undoing the breakdown would mean that you wouldn't have any breakdowns at all, unless the breakdowns would be rolled a turn in advance (MOO2 greets here Image ), what won't work for SPWAW as well.

Arralen


Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 7:52 am
by Miku
Arralen, you missed my point in second paragraph: if you move and get shot at, you can not do undo. I think this kind of behaviour should be generalised, i.e. if something bad happens to your unit that was intended to happen (i.e. getting ambushed or breakdown), you should not be able to hit undo to IMPROVE your situation (with breakdown if your starting position is better than the place where the breakdown happens, you can use undo-button to improve your immobile unit's position ...).

I agree with you that fixing the breakdown using undo would make breakdown useless (in solitaire games). On the other hand, undo button is there only to let you correct your silly mistakes in solitaire games, which breakdown clearly is not. Actually I would vote for removal of the whole undo-button, if it was replaced with a button that would do something more useful (like a button that you could use to give your unit an order to ignore anything else and concentrate on repairing the breakdown ...)

Like I said, this is a very minor issue that I just happened to ran into. Cheers!

Mika