Page 1 of 1

Malaria zones

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:50 pm
by loader6
Another question I have is are Malaria zones going to be treated the same in WITP as in UV? While I like the idea for units that are in the bush (ie non base hexes or fighting in a base hex), I think units that are at a base with enough support shouldn't suffer too badly. Of course there could be a certain level the base has to be or supply or support level in order to decrease or stop the effects. The reason I'm asking is because I get tired of constantly having to rotate units and high level bases with plenty of supplies and support in UV and was wondering if it'd be the same in WITP.

If it is going to be the same, I'd really like to have the ability to break down units, especially base units so if there's a base I use only for recon or ASW, I can send a 10 or 20 unit aviation support unit with the same number of support units and no engineers since I don't need them there, instead of having to send a complete unit.

Thanks for the replies,
Loader6

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:48 am
by Snigbert
I havent heard of any planned changes in the malaria effects.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:07 pm
by loader6
That's what I figured. No big deal, was just hoping there was some way to slow/stop it if enough effort was put in.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:00 am
by Snigbert
Not that I'm aware of. I think if you have a larger base, you just have more people getting malaria. Was Quinine around during WWII?

My grandfather was in the US Army in the South Pacific and his job was to go around to ponds and various bodies of water near American bases and spray kerosene across the top of the water to kill mosquito larvae. Really bad for the envirnment, but he always figured he'd saved a lot of lives.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:35 am
by madflava13
I think there should be some changes to the Malaria model... in UV there are only a very few bases where your troops don't lose efficiency from disease. If we expand this to the whole Pacific, there are any number of bases where Malaria wasn't an issue - some from human intervention, others occured naturally. For instance, I've never read anything about troops getting sick on Wake or Tarawa. I don't even think the bigger islands like Saipan or Guam had a malaria problem.

I hope this is taken into account in the WiTP model...

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:15 am
by Snigbert
I suppose it would require bodies of fresh water nearby, for the mosquitos.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:26 am
by Bulldog61
Originally posted by madflava13
I think there should be some changes to the Malaria model... in UV there are only a very few bases where your troops don't lose efficiency from disease. If we expand this to the whole Pacific, there are any number of bases where Malaria wasn't an issue - some from human intervention, others occured naturally. For instance, I've never read anything about troops getting sick on Wake or Tarawa. I don't even think the bigger islands like Saipan or Guam had a malaria problem.

I hope this is taken into account in the WiTP model...


There are several weather zones. Malaria is just one of them, we don't know how they're going to work yet.