Page 1 of 2

Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:18 pm
by Chris21wen
I've forgotten and cannot find the answer. How do you find/list groups that are carrier trained?

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:22 pm
by LoBaron
Not ingame afaik. But you can using tracker.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 pm
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Not ingame afaik. But you can using tracker.


I think I knew that. I'll try tracker but I thought it only told you what a/c could and not groups.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:45 pm
by geofflambert
I think you've already wasted too much time on that. When a unit is announced to be carrier trained, you can give out a hearty hip-hip hooray. Aside from that I wouldn't waste any little brain cells worrying about it.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:36 am
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think you've already wasted too much time on that. When a unit is announced to be carrier trained, you can give out a hearty hip-hip hooray. Aside from that I wouldn't waste any little brain cells worrying about it.

My USN groups are depleted after a long sequence battles around PM. I have USMC groups with a full compliment of a/c, most are carrier capable but at least two groups are carrier trained but I cannot remember which so that I can transfer them to the carriers.

I'm not sure what you are implying, everyone knows reptiles have a small brain than mammals.[;)]

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am
by HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think you've already wasted too much time on that. When a unit is announced to be carrier trained, you can give out a hearty hip-hip hooray. Aside from that I wouldn't waste any little brain cells worrying about it.

My USN groups are depleted after a long sequence battles around PM. I have USMC groups with a full compliment of a/c, most are carrier capable but at least two groups are carrier trained but I cannot remember which so that I can transfer them to the carriers.

I'm not sure what you are implying, everyone knows reptiles have a small brain than mammals.[;)]

How many can you possibly have to need to search through?
It can't be that difficult.

Just put one that is capable but not trained on board and in 90 days it will be trained.
The penalty for using non-trained squadrons is practically non-existent.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm
by dr.hal
It's safe to say that any air unit arriving on the board a CV type ship will be a carrier trained air unit. Beyond that I've only found the occasional Swordfish reinforcements that come without a ship but still have this designation. But overall I've never seen this "training" as meaning much, as I've not seen a noticeable increase in crashes or landing accidents given untrained units stationed on a CV. But in the name of full disclosure, I've never tested this. Other members have alluded to an increase.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think you've already wasted too much time on that. When a unit is announced to be carrier trained, you can give out a hearty hip-hip hooray. Aside from that I wouldn't waste any little brain cells worrying about it.

My USN groups are depleted after a long sequence battles around PM. I have USMC groups with a full compliment of a/c, most are carrier capable but at least two groups are carrier trained but I cannot remember which so that I can transfer them to the carriers.

I'm not sure what you are implying, everyone knows reptiles have a small brain than mammals.[;)]
If the aircraft you want are not yet aboard ship, you can find them in the LBA listing using the button at the top of the map screen. From there, use the filters to list just the Marine squadrons and fighters only, and you should have what you want.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm
by blueatoll
So here's a question I've been wondering. Do I have to have my carrier capable units onboard ship for 90 contiguous days or can I drop them on the ships intermittently (say during refits) and have them become carrier capable. I don't like the idea of flattops carrying useless airframes into battle but want some Marine corsair units flying off my carriers early as I wait for Hellcat production to catch up.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think you've already wasted too much time on that. When a unit is announced to be carrier trained, you can give out a hearty hip-hip hooray. Aside from that I wouldn't waste any little brain cells worrying about it.

My USN groups are depleted after a long sequence battles around PM. I have USMC groups with a full compliment of a/c, most are carrier capable but at least two groups are carrier trained but I cannot remember which so that I can transfer them to the carriers.

I'm not sure what you are implying, everyone knows reptiles have a small brain than mammals.[;)]

The AC squadron screen says whether they are capable and whether they are trained. In some cases, birds actually have the biggest brains, at least from neuron counts.


Image

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:24 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: blueatoll

So here's a question I've been wondering. Do I have to have my carrier capable units onboard ship for 90 contiguous days or can I drop them on the ships intermittently (say during refits) and have them become carrier capable. I don't like the idea of flattops carrying useless airframes into battle but want some Marine corsair units flying off my carriers early as I wait for Hellcat production to catch up.

I'm pretty sure there's a counter with the unit that advances when appropriate and never goes back. So, the answer is no to contiguous. Also no to consecutive. You also won't lose ground if your dog eats your homework. Don't try and keep track of where the unit is, it's really not worth worrying about. Just don't load planes on carriers which are not capable.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 pm
by Alpha77
In the AI game I was playing a month ago, I put them on carriers, however still after 30 or so turns they would not become "trained". So I lost patience and just used them without the "trained" trait. I thought ok, they will not perform as good and probably have lots of OP losses. However these higher OP losses were hardly noticable. So I figured it is not a "big deal" [;)]

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:32 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: blueatoll

So here's a question I've been wondering. Do I have to have my carrier capable units onboard ship for 90 contiguous days or can I drop them on the ships intermittently (say during refits) and have them become carrier capable. I don't like the idea of flattops carrying useless airframes into battle but want some Marine corsair units flying off my carriers early as I wait for Hellcat production to catch up.
As long as the pilots are trained adequately in Air Skill, and have some Defensive skill the Marine Corsair squadrons are far from "useless".

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:43 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

So here's a question I've been wondering. Do I have to have my carrier capable units onboard ship for 90 contiguous days or can I drop them on the ships intermittently (say during refits) and have them become carrier capable. I don't like the idea of flattops carrying useless airframes into battle but want some Marine corsair units flying off my carriers early as I wait for Hellcat production to catch up.
As long as the pilots are trained adequately in Air Skill, and have some Defensive skill the Marine Corsair squadrons are far from "useless".

Right, use the Corsairs for CAP, they'll kick butt.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 pm
by Admiral DadMan
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

So here's a question I've been wondering. Do I have to have my carrier capable units onboard ship for 90 contiguous days or can I drop them on the ships intermittently (say during refits) and have them become carrier capable. I don't like the idea of flattops carrying useless airframes into battle but want some Marine corsair units flying off my carriers early as I wait for Hellcat production to catch up.
As long as the pilots are trained adequately in Air Skill, and have some Defensive skill the Marine Corsair squadrons are far from "useless".

Right, use the Corsairs for CAP, they'll kick butt.

F4U-1's are NOT carrier capable. You have to wait until the F4U-1A...

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 pm
by wdolson
By the time the F4U-1A becomes available, you will have enough Hellcats. 1943 was a rebuilding year for carrier forces on both sides. The US was bringing new aircraft up to strength as well as waiting for enough carriers to become available. The Enterprise spend most of the year in the shipyard.

If you don't get the same situation as historical, you still have the supply restrictions that existed in the real war.

Bill

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 am
by geofflambert
You are right. Somehow I missed it when whoever identified the Corsairs in question as F4U-1. I'm still missing it. If they were F4U-1As, would my advice make sense to you?

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:05 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: wdolson

By the time the F4U-1A becomes available, you will have enough Hellcats. 1943 was a rebuilding year for carrier forces on both sides. The US was bringing new aircraft up to strength as well as waiting for enough carriers to become available. The Enterprise spend most of the year in the shipyard.

If you don't get the same situation as historical, you still have the supply restrictions that existed in the real war.

Bill

All the same, if I have carrier capable F4U-1A Corsairs I can put on CV's, my strategy would be to use them for CAP and let the Hellcat's handle escort.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 am
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: geofflambert


The AC squadron screen says whether they are capable and whether they are trained. In some cases, birds actually have the biggest brains, at least from neuron counts.

I know that. I thought there was means of listing them without stepping through. Seems I was wrong.

That's true but it took years of evolution. I've also heard that the very largest reptiles also had some form of neurological control in their tails, but I might be wrong in this. If mammals ever had similar mine died years ago.

RE: Carrier Trained groups

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:49 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: geofflambert


The AC squadron screen says whether they are capable and whether they are trained. In some cases, birds actually have the biggest brains, at least from neuron counts.

I know that. I thought there was means of listing them without stepping through. Seems I was wrong.

That's true but it took years of evolution. I've also heard that the very largest reptiles also had some form of neurological control in their tails, but I might be wrong in this. If mammals ever had similar mine died years ago.
I am pretty sure there are some humans out there who think like their rear end ... I'll let you decide who fits the shoe.