Page 1 of 3
Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 pm
by Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 pm
by Wuffer
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
me too
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:35 pm
by BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
I was sure there was an NFL team in Iceland. The Reykjavik Ramblers, or something.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 am
by LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
I have heard there is a petition calling for a second England - Iceland match, with more than 3m signatures. [;)]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:12 pm
by Orm
ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
We are talking real Football and not American Handball. [;)]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:20 pm
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
We are talking real Football and not American Handball. [;)]
No, it's not handball (yet). The league is divided into two groups, the American Football Concussions and the National Football Concussions.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:23 pm
by wneumann
Not a soccer fan, but Iceland.... totally cool
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 pm
by kbfchicago
Wife and I watched the game. As Americans who are avid American Football fans we've both grown very fond of European Football since the world cup before last (long story, stuck in a hotel room, bad weather, nothing but crap on TV). Both of us have English heritage and thought "we should be English League fans"...but it just seemed natural to get excited for the Icelanders. The announces said 8% of the entire country was in the stadium (seems far fetched...but hey, when have announcers ever been wrong?) By the way...every player's name on the team (except one) ends with "...son", the guy that doesn't ends with "...sen". Yet more useless trivia now stuck in your head forever!
Go Iceland!
They're going to need serious skill and luck against the German juggernaut...
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:40 pm
by rustysi
(long story, stuck in a hotel room, bad weather, nothing but crap on TV)
Seriously, and all you could think of was to watch football?

[:D]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:36 pm
by blueatoll
In what would be an incredibly strange but absolutely amazing Euros Final, Wales could play Iceland. That would be wild.
Go Wales!
Go Iceland!
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:11 am
by geofflambert
ORIGINAL: kbfchicago
Wife and I watched the game. As Americans who are avid American Football fans we've both grown very fond of European Football since the world cup before last (long story, stuck in a hotel room, bad weather, nothing but crap on TV). Both of us have English heritage and thought "we should be English League fans"...but it just seemed natural to get excited for the Icelanders. The announces said 8% of the entire country was in the stadium (seems far fetched...but hey, when have announcers ever been wrong?) By the way...every player's name on the team (except one) ends with "...son", the guy that doesn't ends with "...sen". Yet more useless trivia now stuck in your head forever!
Go Iceland!
They're going to need serious skill and luck against the German juggernaut...
Let's see, 8% of 323,000 is 26,000. Sounds reasonable. The metro area of Peoria has more people than Iceland.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:53 am
by JeffroK
ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
We are talking real Football and not American Handball. [;)]
So whose bandwagon are you jumping on [8D]
Iceland only got through because the Euros wanted a replay of the Brexit!
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:27 am
by GetAssista
ORIGINAL: rustysi
(long story, stuck in a hotel room, bad weather, nothing but crap on TV)
Seriously, and all you could think of was to watch football?

[:D]
Ball is life. Ball is love!
Football one ofc )
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 am
by Olorin
ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Are they in the AFC or the NFC?
I think they are talking Soccer, not Football. [:)]
We are talking real Football and not American Handball. [;)]
We are talking Football, not Handegg.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:19 pm
by blueatoll
Here's a
good article on how the Icelandic team got to where they are.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm
by geofflambert
Because of Brexit English will no longer be an official language of the Euro. Watch the Chinese start learning to speak French.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 pm
by Orm
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Because of Brexit English will no longer be an official language of the Euro. Watch the Chinese start learning to speak French.
Even after UK has left the EU, I have no doubt that English will be the most commonly understood language in EU. The official EU languages just represent what languages are used in the different member states.
Even Swedish is an official EU language. [8|]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm
by Orm
Sorry. How is the English language relevant to football? [&:]
[:D]