Page 1 of 1

More memory problems, help, please

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:50 am
by Lorenzo from Spain
Íve a problem with the conventional memory in my new computer (in my last computer, I played Pac War without problem). Íve done all that has been done in the forum during a lot of hours, but Íve been defeated.

The problem is, I think, that Íve 580k of conventional memory before beginning, 40k utilized, and only 540k free. In high memory, 170k, 29 utilized and 141 free.

My system is Windows 98 SE, Pentium4 1Ghz, 256 Ram.

My config.sys, after a lot of changes, is:
- c:\CONFIG.SYS -
DEVICE=c:\WINDOWS\himem.sys
DEVICE=c:\windows\emm386.exe i=B000-B7FF noems
dos=high,umb
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\drvspace.sys /move
Country=034,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

My autoexec.bat:

@echo off
keyb sv,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Íve deleted all the no essential programs.


Suggestions, please!!! Thanks.


:confused:

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:35 am
by Capt. Harlock
Only 580K to start with? It should be 640K. I assume you are using a compressed hard drive since you load "drvspace.sys". If you have an uncompressed area, you might want to store your "Pacific War" files on that area and then use a custom DOS set-up defined in the ".PIF" file that omits "drvspace.sys". (The disadvatage being the computer will re-boot both entering and leaving the game.)

You can also add the line:
STACKS=0,0
to your "config.sys" file, but that will only free up about 2K of RAM.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:44 am
by Weathersfield
Try taking the country and keyboard sys files out. They use regular memory, not upper.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:17 am
by Denniss
disable drvspace - only needed for compressed devices nobody uses

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:22 am
by Lorenzo from Spain
Originally posted by Denniss
disable drvspace - only needed for compressed devices nobody uses


Thanks to all.

How can I disable drvspace? I´ve changed in config.sys ...command\drvspace... and now is ...command\display.sys con=(ega,,1). Threre is not error mesage, but still threre are the damned 580 k.

Thanks again.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:16 am
by Weathersfield
put a rem in front of the command.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:23 am
by Lorenzo from Spain
Originally posted by Weathersfield
put a rem in front of the command.

Í´ve put a “rem” before devicehigh=c:\windows\command\display.sys con=(ega,,1). Still 580k. In fact, I don´t see any change.
In Msdos.sys, Í´ve typed two lines: drvspace=0 and dblspace=0. In theory, this disable drvspace. No way, still 580k of conventional memory.

Í´m desperate!:confused:

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:57 pm
by pertsajakilu
HI!

Like I earlier in another post suggested, build an boot disk.

There you can control all startup parameters and programs while you do not have to change any win98 startup parameters or autoexec settings.

Of course you have to boot machine every time when you want to use boot disk. Disk is also useful if you have another "old" dos game(s) you want to play.

I can put tomorrow ( if anybody wants to ) a zip-file here of my boot disk contents. All what you must do is to create a bootble floppy.

Regards

Arto

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:01 pm
by Weathersfield
Instead of a boot disk you might want to try this:

http://dosbox.zophar.net/

I have used this to play some old DOS based games. It will have mouse support for you( and sound )

Its free so you can try it to see if it fixes your problem.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:48 pm
by Lorenzo from Spain
Originally posted by Weathersfield
Instead of a boot disk you might want to try this:

http://dosbox.zophar.net/

I have used this to play some old DOS based games. It will have mouse support for you( and sound )

Its free so you can try it to see if it fixes your problem.

Oh, my God!

Dosbox works. Now there are 620k of conventional memory. This signifies that my computer it́s not a potato.

But... the game appears in any mathematic language and blocks after the second screen.

More help, please.
:(

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:51 am
by Lorenzo from Spain
Problem OK!!! Now I have 600k of free conventional memory, I suppose that the program will run ok.

There was a damned program active (but not visible in autoexec, win.ini nor in tool bar of Windows).
When desperately I tried to reinstall windows, appeared an error message: active program.

Thanks to all people. thanks again.

Anyway, I think that a boot disk could be useful to people. Íd like to have it (all of us knows how well windows works). :D

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:21 am
by Weathersfield
If you want to try a boot disk, go to bootdisk.com.

I hear they have a great setup there for boot disks( never used them)