Page 1 of 2

world war II songs mp3

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:53 am
by BlueLavender
Hi all,

does anybody know the website address where I can find mp3 of world war II military songs ?

I remember it's posted somewhere here, but not sure where

thank you & rgds

BlueLavender

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:40 am
by tracer
I've never seen a website, but I've found a few using WinMX. I have one small enough to fit on my webspace; just happens to be my favorite too. You can even hear the pops and crackles of the 78rpm record (IMO) at the beginning...almost sounds like something you would have heard playing over one of those old black & white newsreels.


I'll leave it up until Saturday if anyone wants it.

Edit 2/8/03: jimnsb@cfl.rr.com (subject = Erika)

Thank you

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:41 am
by BlueLavender
Hi Tracer,

thank you.... am downloading it, and gonna listen to it... anybody here have the cossack march song ?

it was listed in one of the world war II military homepage, but I lost the website address

Tried to find the CD already, but seems here in Singapore , no music shop carries anything from world war II :)

rgds

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:19 am
by Voriax

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:40 pm
by werderwayne
Thanks for that URL:
http://digilander.libero.it/adol/musiched.htm
Great stuff.

Too bad I won't have a CD player at the next wargame convention!

BTW, kind of a funny side note to "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit" (the Panzer Lied) the last line of the 1st verse is
"Es braust unser Panzer..." Which was supposed to mean "It roars, our tank, ..." but the word "braust" also means "brews", which, of course, changes the meaning considerably! :D

In addition, I have come across several different copies of "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit"'s lyrics and the lyrics differ after the 1st verse.

Another quick note...in the movie "Battle of the Bulge" the reason that the Tiger tank crews weren't better trained with their tanks is that they spent all their time practicing their singing!

-WW

PANZER AND LEIBSTANDARTE

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:46 pm
by mlomax
The are a couple of MP3's at www.panzerace.net.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:14 pm
by Resisti
BlueLavender, the Oronzo's page is what you're looking for, I'm pretty sure; here: http://www.oronzo.com/world_war_2_mp3.html

tens and tens of war songs from nearly all WWII combatant countries.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:19 pm
by Bing
The only great song to come out of WW2 was "Lili Marlene" - the rest of the really good ones are all World War I vintage. I tend to separate the Rah, Rah! type - Panzer Lied - songs from true ballads, which qualifies Lili Marlene. Believe the Cossack songs referred to date from at the latest the Russian Civil War and probably earlier - Cossacks have been around for a long time. THey didn't start singing just for WW2.

For a slam bang chorus, band and absolutely fine soloists (tenor is operatic caliber), the Red Army Chorus and Band are difficult to equal, let alone exceed. Long ago I transferred their second volume, off an Angel LP to cassette tape, shortly it will be transferred to a Sony Mini-Disc. Tapes can and do wear out, especially the commercial cassette releases from the "bargain" category. I have several out of the hundreds in my collection which simply stopped playing - jammed solid. Good blank tapes, Maxell, TDK, BASF, Sony, et al, are much better quality, I have some of those from fifteen years ago in fine condition despite winter storage in an unheated garage.

Unfortunately the precise collection of material on the Red Army Ensemblel Vol. 2 is no longer available and from what I see and hear I think most of what has appeared in later CD collections are remakes. For sheer galvanic energy I have never heard anything like it the LP. The numbers are:

Courageous Don Cossacks
Beautiful Moonlit NIght
Kamarinskaya
Ah! Lovely NIght
A Birch Tree Grows .. (same tune used by Tchaikovsky in his 4th Symphony)
Song of the Plains
Ukranian Poem
Annie Laurie
Zaparozhtsi Dance - freely translated as "General Dance' - if you need to break a lease, this is the number that will do it.

Snicker over the inclusion of Annie Laurie if you want, but the Red Army Ensemble demonstrates there is better music in many songs than we tend to hear; this one features the above mentioned tenor and a beautifully hushed chorus. Caruso singing "Over There" is another good example, its a lot better song than I realized before hearing Caruso do it.

I think the first Red Army volume included "Ode to a Machine Gun", from the civil war of course. In any event, Zaparozhtsi has to be heard to be believed. Ukranian Poem gets to sounding like a chorus from Tannhauser about half way through, a very powerful number.

The Red Army Ensemble toured the US for the first time about thirty years ago to packed houses and very enthusiastic audiences. Somewhere there is a video tape of one of their dance numbers that is unlike anything most of us have seen.

Bing

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:46 pm
by Belisarius
Marcus Wendel (hi Marcus! :D) keeps a few songs over at his website, which is a worth a visit in any case;

Songs at the Third Reich Factbook

Lots of material, not only on Germany but much more as well. :cool:

Thank you very much...

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:56 am
by BlueLavender
Hi resisti , voriax, belisarius, mlomax , thank you very much for the reply...

yup, resisti, I finally found the cossacks song there, thank you very much :)

and voriax, the digilander site is also very good...
am downloading the rule britannia there..

Bing.. unfortunately here in singapore it's kinda difficult to find all kinds of military march songs... of any kind (world war I, II, or any war)...

Yup, Lili marlene is very fine ballad... I like the cossacks patrol song for its somehow mysterious tune...

Thank you all, thank you very much...

rgds

BlueLavender

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:23 am
by NaKATPase
http://ingeb.org/WWII.html

This site has a large number of both mp3 and wav files of a bunch of german songs and some other nations as well...

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:11 am
by m10bob
One of the most played songs on the American home front was "Any Bonds Today",which was a propoganda/commercial played "everywhere" to get people to buy war bonds....I had to go to Ask.com to find a place to download it...There are several versions,(Andrews Sisters,Guy Lombardo,and even a cartoon with Bugs Bunny!)......;)

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:40 am
by Karnaaj
Using peer-to-peer file sharing software, such as WinMX or KaZaa or whatever, can lead to all *kinds* of nice music - I've got stuff ranging from various versions of German patriotic/political/military tunes, to Italian Fascist marches, to the Red Army Chorus, the United States Marine Band, the Australian Army Band of the Third District, The United States Military Academy Glee Club and Band, Her Majesty's Royal Marine Band, the Israeli National Military Band, Finns, Swedes, an unholy crapload of bagpipers <G>, and hard-to-find movie scores...

Note: copyright, yadda yadda. More importantly, the quality on a lot of MP3s leaves a lot to be desired... and even crap-quality audio takes a while to download, especially if you're saddled with a dialup connection. <sigh> Might as well buy a CD if you can. (Not necessarily available, of course.)

As always when WinMX'ing or whatever, watch for renamed versions, duplicates, fakes (I'd like to shoot a few jackasses out there - a soundcheck of Led Zeppelin doing "Freebird" would be *cool*, but if I wanted 20 minutes of "The Red Green Show", I'd look for it meself), malicious code, and out'n'out "not what I wanted" stuff. (Check partially-downloaded items to see if it's worth the rest of the d/l.)

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:16 pm
by Bing
m10bob- Did you bring back memories! "Any Bonds Today?" takes me back to my childhood and WW2. Since I have pretty good musical retention, I can hear the song in my mind even though I am sure I haven't heard it actively played in dozens of years. Unless it was on the program of some of the Bob Hope broadcasts which were filmed and run on TCM, which is a possibility.

Karnaaj - Tower Records has been consistently excellent for me. I buy normally from Tower US, however there is British site at www.amazon.co.uk - the funny thing about dealing with both US and UK and this also holds true for Amazon, is for instance the US site will tell you a certain recording or book is OP (Out of Print). Then you go to the UK site; not only is the item NOT OP, they have it in stock and usualy ship within 24 hours.

This happened for me with more than one aircraft book and after three months of chasing a Decca-Londoin opera recording - which had not been removed from the official D-L catalog - including used recordings dealers and not finding even a mention of the set, I got the bright idea to try Amazon UK. In stock and in the mail to me within 48 hours, the price wasn't bargain, but I have my recording.

Tower features Red Army Ensemble (or whatever they are currently calling themsleves) releases and a reasonably effective search engine - I like the UK search engine better than US actually.

There are speciality shops dealing in used and OP recordings, for which I can furnish URL's but they are expensive, to the point I won't buy from them. They make their money via markup and I suppose have to charge premium to stay in business.

Amazon for one will steer you to a dealer of this type, however be aware sometimes the third party dealer is plain out woofing us when he says he stocks an item.

Good hunting.

"Any Bonds Today? ..."

Bing

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:23 pm
by m10bob
:) Before I engage in a well-earned battle session,(while i'm getting my pizza,chips,coke/coffee,etc),I always play "Any Bonds Today?",and "Sgt Mackenzie"(the haunting theme from "We Were Soldiers",to get in the mood..(Oh yeah,Glenn Miller's "In The Mood"!!!!!!!!!)I download most of my stuff(and offer it) on KaZaa....You can get KaZaa for free on Download.com....;)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:06 am
by Figmo
These songs are great - thanks guys.

I'm playing them now - driving my entire family crazy - short drive!!

Figmo

Das Panzer Lied

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:18 am
by Baldrick
I've seen the word printed as 'brauch' i.e, need, use, handy or serviceable und so veiter.




>BTW, kind of a funny side note to "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit" (the Panzer Lied) the last line of the 1st verse is
"Es braust unser Panzer..." Which was supposed to mean "It roars, our tank, ..." but the word "braust" also means "brews", which,<

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:22 am
by Baldrick
I thought the quote had something to do with 'parts most private up a Rutland tree'.


> And gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves a-cursed they were not here and hold their manhoods cheap whiles
any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day...Henry V(Shakespeare)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:20 pm
by junk2drive
try live365.com a radio type website. simple registration, gender and year of birth. search for wwII will bring up streaming audio sites from that era. it was fun at christmas time to listen to those old songs plus one of the sites played interviews with uso celebrities about their visits with the troops. enjoy!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:48 pm
by RockinHarry
great war music links, thanks! I´m particularly interested into the very martialic sounding scottish bagpipe´n drums stuff! :eek: :D Does anybody know the song "Cock of the north"??
Who knows more about brit and scottish war songs and what combat units had their own?