Page 1 of 2

Question

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:14 pm
by miv792
In Urumchi a large concentration of resources, thread who solved the problem with the export of these resources? because the road to all the bases with free access to the sea ...

Image

RE: Question

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:27 pm
by Yaab
Those huge pushes of oil/res/supply/fuel to biggest ports are observed in economies with a comprehensive rail network( India, Australia, Java, Japan, Malayas, Burma, USA, Canada, Ceylon, Soviet Union, Korea, Thailand, Indochina). China is a bit of grey territory.

From Urumchi to Kweisui,where the railroad starts, that is 30 hexes distance,and another 10 hexes to the nearest port.

Now if Sian were a port, that would be 28 hexes from Urumchi to Tienshui's railhead and 3 hexes to the Sian's port.

Seems Urumchi's goodies are glued to their birthplace for good.

EDIT: Wow, 2000 posts! How time flies...

RE: Question

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:56 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: miv79

In Urumchi a large concentration of resources, thread who solved the problem with the export of these resources? because the road to all the bases with free access to the sea ...

Image
Those resources can help the light industry at the more northern of the Chinese bases, and might also be available to the Russians when they activate (or maybe even before that?).

RE: Question

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:37 pm
by rustysi
I have had limited success with getting oil out of Urumchi, but it takes a lot of effort. First off I had Siam and the other oil producer (don't recall the name) in between in my possession. Then I drained most of the oil from Port Arthur in order to create a demand there, in addition I set two small tankers there set to load oil. I also set two small tankers to load oil at Hankow(?), the one in China that's up river. At the other oil centers I turned the refineries off/on to let oil be pulled out or drawn in as needed. Urumchis' refinery is always turned off during this operation. At any rate if I played around with the settings I was able to get a good portion of the oil at Urumchi out. Never even attempted to get the resources. I imagine they'll come down when all else dries up.

RE: Question

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 am
by PaxMondo
+1

Get resources/oil out of Urumchi all the time. read Alfred's primer on the economy and apply concepts. Works easy peasy lemon squeazy. [8D]

RE: Question

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:15 am
by miv792
Siam and base before all Urumchi captured me, just looking at the eyes, and see that it is not reduced resources out there, but only increases. So for two months.

RE: Question

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:54 pm
by SheperdN7
Those resources can help the light industry at the more northern of the Chinese bases, and might also be available to the Russians when they activate (or maybe even before that?).

BBFanboy, is there any way that those resources could even get to the Soviets?

RE: Question

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: SheperdN7
Those resources can help the light industry at the more northern of the Chinese bases, and might also be available to the Russians when they activate (or maybe even before that?).

BBFanboy, is there any way that those resources could even get to the Soviets?

Looks like lots of road links on-map and rail links leading off-map. Just not sure if supply flow is enabled for them.



Image

RE: Question

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:12 am
by PaxMondo
They are, but the distance is great. You need to think through how resources move in the game. Then it is obvious what to do to get them to move. ... or just read Alfreds' economy treatise. [&o]

RE: Question

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:38 am
by BBfanboy
Ok - I did a test of the supply flow in a Scenario 1 game (from the Allied side).
First I selected Urumchi's hex and pressed the "5" key once to get the supply flow calculation (this can take a long time - minutes).
When the figures came up they ran up to the borders of Russia but did not cross. This also happened at the road running off-map to Alma Alta.
So it appears supply will not flow from China to an inactive Russia.

Then I de-selected Urumchi by pressing 5 again and selected the Russian base down near Tolun, and pressed 5 again. It took much longer for the calculations but supply was flowing into China from the Russian base. Picture below - apologies for the unwanted pop-up nearly covering the selected base (the one with 100 in the hex) but you get the idea.

The numbers appear to be percentages of the supply from the original hex that could reach the hexes shown. Actual supply flow would follow greatest demand rules.



Image

RE: Question

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 pm
by rustysi
First off those numbers represent how many times a week supply will flow. Either once, twice, or four times a week. For instance ranges 89-100 I believe mean supply will flow to the hex four times a week. Below that its twice a week and eventually once. Don't know the ranges for those though. You can check in Alfred's 101. Secondly I don't think supply will flow from an inactive Soviet Union into China. Don't know why the numbers cross the border.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:31 am
by szmike
Supply flowing from SU to China was fixed in one of early patches.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:16 am
by PaxMondo
And if you do the same test for Urumchi you will see that resources can flow ... then using the 101 primer you can figure out what you need to do to increase that flow.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 am
by Yaab
And play some music while you at it like Suede's "Everything Will Flow".

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:46 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: rustysi

First off those numbers represent how many times a week supply will flow. Either once, twice, or four times a week. For instance ranges 89-100 I believe mean supply will flow to the hex four times a week. Below that its twice a week and eventually once. Don't know the ranges for those though. You can check in Alfred's 101. Secondly I don't think supply will flow from an inactive Soviet Union into China. Don't know why the numbers cross the border.
I do not accept your explanation regarding the numbers. The number of times per week is clearly not represented by numbers starting at 100 and declining as they move out from the selected base (presumably supply attrition with distance).

If the supply does not flow from Russia (the USSR was post-war) to China, then why did the map from my Urumchi selection show the flow stopping at the Russian border - i.e. why would it show "no flow" in that instance but NOT show "no flow" in the posted map?

As for the supply flow not happening - I am running the official update, not the latest Beta if the change was made since December 2014.
Again, the USSR probably does not have supply to spare on their side of the map so regardless of the POTENTIAL flow that the map indicates, the ACTUAL flow may be nil. When I check Russian bases they seem to have just enough to meet their needs and slowly upgrade/fill out TOE.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm
by GetAssista
When I started constantly sucking oil and fuel out of Shanghai and Fusan, Urumchi gave up in a month and let stuff flow out
I got some oil stockpiled in PA to make sure refineries always run, other than that no additional settings

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:31 pm
by szmike
The numbers are declining by the cost of move of supplies through particular terrain. The highlight shows the cheapest path to a hex, not whether it actually flows. The number in particular hex probably determines how often supply flows (as in guide) and spoilage. Although I don't remember all the changes regarding spoilage of supplies through all patches, I think there is still some.

The fix to no supply from Soviet Union to China was in 2nd or 3rd official patch, certainly not beta.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:00 pm
by rustysi
The number in particular hex probably determines how often supply flows (as in guide)

Right, that's what Alfred's guide tells us. From game experience (no tests) I would have to confirm that is how it appears to be working. I check a unit and its supply is a bit low after a combat. Next turn it receives (in a good supply hex) supply and its back in business.

RE: Question

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:07 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: rustysi
The number in particular hex probably determines how often supply flows (as in guide)

Right, that's what Alfred's guide tells us. From game experience (no tests) I would have to confirm that is how it appears to be working. I check a unit and its supply is a bit low after a combat. Next turn it receives (in a good supply hex) supply and its back in business.
Ok - I was understanding frequency of supply flow as being the weekly frequency - i.e. large bases get it daily, medium bases a few times a week and small bases once a week. That is why the numbers to me did not indicate frequency, just flow potential.


RE: Question

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:25 am
by rustysi
Yeah, I'm not talking bases here, I'm talking outflow to those hexes with the numbers. Although it may be the same for the bases, not really sure. One of the many grey areas for me.[:)]

Of course for anything to flow out to the hexes the base needs adequate supply or all bets are off.