Page 1 of 1
Graphics
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 8:04 pm
by GW
When can we expect to get higher resolution graphics? The game deserves better than these washed out, drab, hard to see graphics!
Is this so hard to do??
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 8:16 pm
by Kharan
Get a better monitor/graphics card or cut down on those mushrooms!
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 8:54 pm
by Warhorse
That's what you get!! I made those. Look fine to me and most others, what size screen you using?! Sorry you don't like 'em, but there's only so much you can do with the 256 color palette we are stuck with, and I realize we can't please everyone. Have you ever made icons for this game, if you tried it, you'de see what I mean, they look really good, then you change it to the shp file for the game, and all the nice color is blended, so there you have it.
------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 9:09 pm
by jpkeenan
The graphics are just fine!!!!! Don't know how they could be any better considering all that goes into this game. I for one am astounded at the overall quality of this fantastic game, GRAPHICS INCLUDED!!
JPKeenan
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 9:17 pm
by Tankhead
Heya Warhorse!
I just love the graphics they are awesome considering the limatation we have in the coding, in the game. Great job Mike keep up the good work. Everytime I play I find myself looking at the planes, tanks, ect.. and I'm always amaze at the details in the icons. If some of us remember back in 95 SPI well it's night and day since then.
Tankhead
------------------
Rick Cloutier
rcclout@telusplanet.net
Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources
http://tankhead.home.icq.com
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 10:58 pm
by Mac_MatrixForum
Yup, the graphics are great, especially the new jungle and rough schemes. I just hope there would be more tiles for the plain grass and perhaps a couple new forest tiles too

. (The old ones are a bit boring after all these years of SP, SP2, SP3

)
The vehicle graphics are very nice, indeed.
800x600 resolution too low? Well I think it's pretty good, the zoom remains still a bit of a problem but this is an old engine that Matrix can and should improve only so far.
If you want Close Combat graphics, go for the CC5

. I wouldn't exchange the game mechanics for fancy graphics, oh no.
Great work, Warhorse, on the graphics. They're really from another planet compared to SP originals (which were pretty good too).
------------------
Markku "Mac" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword,
your side, their side and the truth."
- Sheridan in B5
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:00 am
by Randy
I think the graphics are great! The camo really blends in. Compare this to the generic grey, green, and brown of SP I-III!
Semper Fi
Randy
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:04 am
by Randy
PS As someone once said before; the graphics are great, the game is free, the playability is great, the game is free, the history is great, the game is free...
Semper Fi
Randy
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:58 am
by silentsurfer
My reply to people who critize others work is "well, lets see what you have created"

or if I'm in a little mood, I'll say "I've shown you mine, now you show me yours"

Or if I'm in a REAL mood, its "put up or shut up"

Regarless, you get the idea. Shame on you GW...contribute some graphics of your own than you can discuse the merits of warhorses excellent work.
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:13 am
by Warhorse
Hey fellahs, thanks for all the backup on this, it's greatly appreciated!! Thought they looked ok too;-)Wish I had a better palette, but....
------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 7:07 am
by Almogavar
GW try to do one, the name of the tool is "ShpEd", superb tool from Fred Chlanda, with "ShpEd" you can change the shp format in to BMP and vice versa, then you probably will know what is the problem.
Excelent job Warhorse, I love your graphics.
Almogavar
------------------
Desperta ferro.
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 8:12 am
by Bonzo
I must agree with all the raves on the quality of the present graphics

given the limitationd of 800x600 256 colours. However, my read of the original post is a question of when we might see a change to this resolution and colour depth, albeit in less than diplomatic words

I expect that 800x600 256 colour is all we will see in SPWaW. I believe that to increase the pixel count and number of colours would be very difficult at this stage of development & (if it were possible) would result in a performance hit for those players with less than state of the art systems.
Bonzo
------------------
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com
nwbattalion@icqmail.com
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:09 pm
by Mac_MatrixForum
Originally posted by Bonzo:
However, my read of the original post is a question of when we might see a change to this resolution and colour depth, albeit in less than diplomatic words
Unless a trivially easy task, which it obviously isn't or we would've already seen it, Matrix should concentrate on their own game with a brand new engine so that they have all the rights to it and they can acquire some cash, instead of making a new graphics engine for a very old game with obvious limitations.
It's still a helluva good game.
------------------
Markku "Mac" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword,
your side, their side and the truth."
- Sheridan in B5
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 4:59 pm
by Warhorse
Yes, the color palette is too big of an issue to fiddle with as I've been informed in the past by the programmers. We will have a better one with something in the future. GW, sorry if I came across too 'snappy', but did the best I could do with limitations.
------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue