Page 1 of 1

Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:49 pm
by Zorch
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research- ... manuscript

"The Voynich Manuscript, a 600-year-old book no one can read, is about to become a bestseller.

Siloe, a small publishing house in Spain specializing in handcrafted replicas of ancient manuscripts, has been granted the exclusive rights to create 898 facsimiles of the Voynich. The illustrated codex is considered by many to be the world's most mysterious book, having flummoxed professional and amateur cryptographers since its discovery by a Polish book dealer in 1912."

"No ordinary scan and print project, the Voynich replicas will be meticulously crafted to match every "stain, hole, and sewn-up tear in the parchment," according to the news agency. The publishing house has even created a secret paste and aging process to make the more than 200 pages of the book appear and feel indistinguishable from the real thing. The process is expected to take a full 18 months to complete."

Image

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:34 pm
by wings7
Thanks for sharing & the link! [:)]

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:14 am
by Zap
My question would be how many languages will it be translated into?

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 am
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Zap

My question would be how many languages will it be translated into?
warspite1

I'm confused [&:] How can it be translated if no one can read it? Sounds like a load of old horsepoo to me [:(]

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am
by Zap
ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Zap

My question would be how many languages will it be translated into?
warspite1

I'm confused [&:] How can it be translated if no one can read it? Sounds like a load of old horsepoo to me [:(]


I guess I'm misunderstanding. Is it the language they can't decipher? Or, are the contents in a known language but the meaning of the books content eluding them?

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 am
by Zorch
ORIGINAL: Zap

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Zap

My question would be how many languages will it be translated into?
warspite1

I'm confused [&:] How can it be translated if no one can read it? Sounds like a load of old horsepoo to me [:(]


I guess I'm misunderstanding. Is it the language they can't decipher? Or, are the contents in a known language but the meaning is mysterious?
It is explained at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:39 am
by Zap
That link helps. Comes from northern Italy hmmm.

@Zorch thanks for posting the story. I never knew about this.

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:26 pm
by Mylesmata
This is exciting news indeed. I've had a long interest in the Voynich manuscript (even done some conlang/coding language work inspired by it). I'd love to have a copy of it for my coffee table.

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:43 am
by 76mm
ORIGINAL: mtl404

Then lucky you, the book described above will only cost $8,000 to $9,000 (according to the article).

RE: Voynich Manuscript to be Published

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:55 am
by Mylesmata
ORIGINAL: 76mm

Then lucky you, the book described above will only cost $8,000 to $9,000 (according to the article).
Bargain! Fortunately Yale are releasing a (presumably more affordable) hardcover edition in November.