Page 1 of 1

A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:39 am
by JohnDillworth

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:44 am
by MakeeLearn
[:D]

USS_Iowa -_Floating_Drydock


In the large pic you can see the people easily. Really shows all that was involved, an amazing endeavor.



Ive had that smaller pic on my desktop, waiting to post it. Now I can move the pic to its home folder.
Image

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:43 pm
by bobdina
Thanks for sharing.

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:02 pm
by JohnDillworth
Takes a long while to move them over from the west coast but they are wonderful things to have for flotation damage when you are a long way from home. BTW, took a while to figure out but if you even have 1 point of system damage on these things they wont do their job. they have to be pristine. Pair with an AR in he same port and you can fix most anything

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:04 pm
by Canoerebel
Great photo.

It reminded me of something that my family and I saw two years ago, while on a trip that took us from Texas to North Dakota and then back around through the Great Lakes to the South. In Marquette, Michigan, we saw a hulking iron structure protruding from near shore out into Lake Superior. It had a hollow interior, was perhaps 75 feet high, and extended into the Lake for several hundred yards or so. We'd never seen or heard of anything like it before. But I forgot to look it up until just now, after seeing John's post here. So I did a quick Google search and found information about "ore docks." That's what we saw. Interesting reading about them, too.

Thanks John, for triggering that little foray into history.

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:21 pm
by T Rav
Off by about six decades from this forum, but I saw the SBX-1 going through the channel at Pearl Harbor ten years ago. Holy Cow, that thing was enormous!

https://news.usni.org/2016/11/01/report ... orth-korea

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 pm
by BBfanboy
Thanks JD - never saw that pic before.

The cluster of men at the stern seem to be inspecting the rudder or screws. Perhaps she touched bottom somewhere?

Any idea of the name/designation number of the floating drydock?

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:02 pm
by JohnDillworth
yup, I copied this from Reddit. There is a subreddit called warshipporn. link here https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/ you will have to scroll down a few pages but this is USS Artisan (AFDB-1), at Manus Island with USS Iowa in dock, 1944.

That forum has my highest recommendation

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:36 am
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

yup, I copied this from Reddit. There is a subreddit called warshipporn. link here https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/ you will have to scroll down a few pages but this is USS Artisan (AFDB-1), at Manus Island with USS Iowa in dock, 1944.

That forum has my highest recommendation
Oh great! Now I have a socially acceptable porn addiction. I barely leave my computer as it is between playing the game and prowling the forum!
Thanks? [:)]

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:59 am
by JohnDillworth
In https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/ this is what they call a "Money Shot"

Image

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:09 pm
by BBfanboy
Yeah, I copied that one during my evening browsing the postings. I thought the big fingerprint in the upper right was a nice touch! [:D]

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:14 pm
by LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

yup, I copied this from Reddit. There is a subreddit called warshipporn. link here https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/ you will have to scroll down a few pages but this is USS Artisan (AFDB-1), at Manus Island with USS Iowa in dock, 1944.

That forum has my highest recommendation

I have seen the same photo mentioning ABSD-2 docking Iowa for temporary repairs at Manus in Dec 1944. She suffered damage to a shaft during the encounter with typhoon "Cobra". She had to return to the States for permanent repairs.

RE: A large floating drydock

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

yup, I copied this from Reddit. There is a subreddit called warshipporn. link here https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/ you will have to scroll down a few pages but this is USS Artisan (AFDB-1), at Manus Island with USS Iowa in dock, 1944.

That forum has my highest recommendation

I have seen the same photo mentioning ABSD-2 docking Iowa for temporary repairs at Manus in Dec 1944. She suffered damage to a shaft during the encounter with typhoon "Cobra". She had to return to the States for permanent repairs.
Great info LST - thanks!
Sounds like she may have blown a seal or bearing when her stern came out of the water in those huge waves.