Close-quarters combat
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 7:23 am
SP1-3 were always pretty predictable. Move your tanks to a safe position, and either outmanuever or wait for your enemy. Playing the Utah to the Rhine Campaign is forcing me to be more creative. The first one with the delayed stugs/panthers was great, so was Carentan (sp?). Now I'm thick into the hedgerow country..which i have never faced in my SP days. Very tough, very slow precise combat. I chose a rifle company just for kicks with a sherman 76 platoon and recon platoon as my core.
My advances through the hedgerows and bocage were too slow to be effective and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this kind of close quarters fighting ? I thought about getting a sherman flail to cut a path cross country, but the 75mm won't cut it vs. panthers. Mounted infantry would just cause me to be assaulted alot. I used quite a bit of artillery but it seems to do little vs. the MG and AT forts. What are your 'musts' for these kinds of battles ?
PS: It would be helpful in the briefing if a general location of the enemy was relayed to you. Ala, enemy movement has been sighted to the south. Or,snipers may have already infiltrated your rear. etc. I think it was Berigny, that was very ambiguous as to where the enemy or you, were going.
Excellent campaign !
My advances through the hedgerows and bocage were too slow to be effective and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this kind of close quarters fighting ? I thought about getting a sherman flail to cut a path cross country, but the 75mm won't cut it vs. panthers. Mounted infantry would just cause me to be assaulted alot. I used quite a bit of artillery but it seems to do little vs. the MG and AT forts. What are your 'musts' for these kinds of battles ?
PS: It would be helpful in the briefing if a general location of the enemy was relayed to you. Ala, enemy movement has been sighted to the south. Or,snipers may have already infiltrated your rear. etc. I think it was Berigny, that was very ambiguous as to where the enemy or you, were going.
Excellent campaign !

